12/3 Chicago State

JoeWx21

Well if Coach Wright wasn't on the hot seat before, he is now. He is now 18-43 in not even two in a half years as the head coach. He may have a great resume as a player, and is one hell of a recruiter but the guy cannot coach. High school coaches can out coach him. He doesn't change the offense to suit the defense they are playing against, and he doesn't change the defense to combat the opponents strength. It doesn't seem he teaches a proper technique to rebound, I do not see anyone taking charges or committing hard/good fouls in the paint, and no scrappy/dirty play. All I see is a bunch of guys who have good talent, but wants to be the pretty boy and be the scorer from mid-range to three's.

If I was AD Tanney I have a talk with Coach Wright and tell him he is under evaluation about coming back for next season. 3 straight losing season after 2 winning seasons in tournament play. What the F*** happen?

No one can say he has been successful especially losing 6 games against all the division 1 teams. Now we can see why we cannot get the bigger schools to play against us when the coaches and players are stuck in the high school basketball mindset.
wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote:
vatusay wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:83-76 Cougars

Some TOs are worse than others. Did not like the clear out for Covington at end of regulation. Should have got a better shot than a long one. Plenty of time for them to run some offense and force the issue inside the paint.
The unfortunate truth is this team has no offense. If Covington locked down no one else wants the shot or passes up on a opportunity to score.
If the only thing a coach has confidence in is the perimeter shooting, might as well leverage it with some "Paul (Westhead) Ball".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_gun_(basketball)

Cov, CJ, Little Mike, and Dalan could light it up IMO.

oh yes ,, We are seeing the same thing, you have a perfect squad, to run that offense , Throw Claar and Morgan in to run with them. Put up more threes than the other team can get twos from their bigs ,on D just let them have twos, don't foul and slow the game down. Get some steals and go,go,go.....may not win against big schools but would work in Summit league.. and we would always be in the game. fun fun

We know it wont't happen, oh well on the bright side we cant on get any worse. we will probably be ranked 340 out of 351 D1 schools..
sealhall74

wiu2017 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:
vatusay wrote:
The unfortunate truth is this team has no offense. If Covington locked down no one else wants the shot or passes up on a opportunity to score.
If the only thing a coach has confidence in is the perimeter shooting, might as well leverage it with some "Paul (Westhead) Ball".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_gun_(basketball)

Cov, CJ, Little Mike, and Dalan could light it up IMO.

oh yes ,, We are seeing the same thing, you have a perfect squad, to run that offense , Throw Claar and Morgan in to run with them. Put up more threes than the other team can get twos from their bigs ,on D just let them have twos, don't foul and slow the game down. Get some steals and go,go,go.....may not win against big schools but would work in Summit league.. and we would always be in the game. fun fun

We know it wont't happen, oh well on the bright side we cant on get any worse. we will probably be ranked 340 out of 351 D1 schools..
JD has already adopted some of the Westhead strategy. Women are 3rd in nation in 3pt attempts and 5th in makes. If those gals get an open look from 3, it is bombs away. He also has been working on this matchup "amoeba" zone defense thing that helps him compete with not a lot of size or physicality. I say whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2017

A coach has to adjust his strategy to the players he has, not try to force players to fit his scheme, Mid major schools can't get good 7 ft tall guys, but they can get good athletic 6'8 guys. Gilbeck blocked a few shots but otherwise useless..
Jabari is not getting it done. They said Jabari has tendonititis in his knees. He needs 2 weeks rest . I had that, it doesn't go away just gets worse and can effect your game.
Our strength is shooting, Ancrum, Cov, Mike, are very good from 3. 40%+ and so is CJ.. Ancrum gives you length , offensive rebounding, athleticism, hustle. and finds the open man...So why is he not playing 30 min a game..

Put Ancrum in for Jabari and just move CJ to point and get Ancrum some angles to the bucket, so he can draw defense then kick out to the open guy..then he can get put backs... so simple..but you have to put Ancrum in a position to do some work.. Ball screen, and get him one on one with smaller guy.. give him confidence and teach him, don't just take him out..

If Coach wright is still here next year, he is gonna need Ancrum,, and CJ needs to learn point. I just dont get it.. He put in the freshman Useofe in the first half instead of Ancrum. Useofe is just a high school shooter that has some size, but he hasn't hit shots.. so What is Coach thinking.. Maybe he thinks Ancrum just isn't ALLIN...
If I was Ancrum I would try to transfer, cause Wright just doesn't believe in him.. Maybe because he didn't recruit him. The ALLIN thing goes both ways..
vatusay

Wright needs to kick rocks. Is he still year to year contract? Let him finish year so they don't have to pay ANOTHER buy out. From the bottom of D1 with DT, to top of the summit with Mo, and literally back to the bottom of D1 with a clone of DT in wright. The guy can't coach. It's painfully obvious.

Also, raising ticket prices? What a joke.

Let this team get out and run and gun. It would at least be more entertaining than the vomit that is on the floor now. The obvious strength is shooting and athletic ability. Heck run four guards with athletic big man. Gilbeck wouldn't make it from one end to the other in time. UNO is a prime example. they may give up 90 points a game but it's exciting and they keep up.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2013

No excuses for this team because they are soft and have been told that they were soft! They were told last night at the game as I sat behind the bench.

I also heard Jabari has knee issues and that is why he sat out a few games. Is his knee injury effecting his ability to make smart plays?? I also heard Snyder may be dealing with some injury issues.

So many of you are so high on Ancrum and have mentioned Jalen Morgan. They can not remember a play if you hold their hand and walk them to their spots. Maybe it is me that just notices that Ancrum drives to the basket with no plan and gets caught in a mess.

I do believe a lot of these players would have been let go a few years ago when Coach Wright got here, but he had to keep them, and here we are with us telling him to kick rocks etc, etc. Coach Mo KNEW what he was doing when he left and the mess that he was leaving behind!
meganeck

JoeWx21 wrote:Well if Coach Wright wasn't on the hot seat before, he is now. He is now 18-43 in not even two in a half years as the head coach. He may have a great resume as a player, and is one hell of a recruiter but the guy cannot coach. High school coaches can out coach him. He doesn't change the offense to suit the defense they are playing against, and he doesn't change the defense to combat the opponents strength. It doesn't seem he teaches a proper technique to rebound, I do not see anyone taking charges or committing hard/good fouls in the paint, and no scrappy/dirty play. All I see is a bunch of guys who have good talent, but wants to be the pretty boy and be the scorer from mid-range to three's.

If I was AD Tanney I have a talk with Coach Wright and tell him he is under evaluation about coming back for next season. 3 straight losing season after 2 winning seasons in tournament play. What the F*** happen?

No one can say he has been successful especially losing 6 games against all the division 1 teams. Now we can see why we cannot get the bigger schools to play against us when the coaches and players are stuck in the high school basketball mindset.
I assume you are not counting the 2 wins against this season against non D1 opponents, because I think I saw he had 20 wins. Anyway I doubt Wright goes anywhere because of WIU's money trouble. One they would have to spend money to do and coaching search and 2 honestly who would want to come here with the current situation so we are probably stuck with Wright.
leatherface

I was anticipating driving to the ORU game in January- 7th,- I believe. I don't know now. Only thing that still sounds good it's a double hitter so maybe watch second half of men, and stay for entire women's game.
vatusay

A majority, if not all, of these guys wright recruited. No excuses there.

If they are truly soft and wright knows it, why keep trying to play this grind it out ball? Get out there and be athletic. Play to your strengths.

The product on the floor is clearly unacceptable.
#ALLIN #YOLO
vatusay

What stinks is wright is exactly what this program needs. A young hungry coach that is trying to make his way up the ranks. Just unfortunate it's not working out.
#ALLIN #YOLO