at Fort Wayne

sealhall74

Tough task at hand tonight in Fort Wayne. Even tougher without Sandifer who is out for the season. Hate to see a guy's career end that way but opportunity now for someone to step up. And they will need to step up big against this 'Dons team. The 'Dons John Konchar is the best all-round player in the league IMO. He can hit from range and finish at the rim. He rebounds extremely well (#1 in league) and is shooting an amazing 69% from the field. I would bet a large part of that is simple putback bunnies around the rim. His supporting cast is not too shabby either. We will have to bring the A+ game to stay close in this one.

6pm CT tip

Looks like another $5.95 to the coffers of the Mastodons.

http://www.gomastodons.com/watch/?Live=495
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

From my vantage point at Mackey, you could tell that Jabari had some sort of knee damage and I wondered if he would make it back for the rest of the season. I think he had been fighting knee problems this entire year which I am sure had an adverse effect on his ability to play as he had as a sophomore which was probably his best year of his career imo! I wish him well! I am looking for the Leathernecks to play like "gang busters" the rest of the season. Duff and Bruster are really going to step up their games to make that happen though. ;) jc
Classof89

Long time lurker, first time poster. Has anyone heard anything about a medical redshirt for Jabari? I know it's typically only awarded for players appearing in 30 percent or less of the teams games and he is just over that, but it would be awful to have his career end like this.

Did we even recruit Konchar? Not a good look missing out on a guy like that, especially since he's from in state.
Blackjack

I feel for Sandifer, I had severe tendonitis when I played, no real treatment besides month of rest, and it can throw your game off big time, even free throws, ,sadly, It probably is a result of lifting too heavy.. .. They have him on twitter power cleaning like over 225 lbs, I was impressed, but also thought, that can hurt things, I believe in weights, but you gotta protect the joints of basketball players. Its always a trade off.
Any way , We have the guards, but it doesn't matter,, this offense runs thru Covington, and until that changes or Covington becomes Kobe Bryant , just be ready for the same ol crap, and use the excuse that we didn't have Sandifer...SMH
Neckfansince71

BlackJack,

I come from the land of "no weights lifted" during the basketball season ala 1968-71! Most coaches thought that lifting during the season would throw your shot completely off. We may all come from the same gene pool, but there is a significant difference in the physicality of todays athlete compared to the "old days!" The game has totally changed due to the athleticism of the participants. I wondering what you thought of the Milwaukee game? It seemed to me that the Necks played team ball for 40 minutes! ;) jc
Neckfansince71

BlackJack,

I come from the land of "no weights lifted" during the basketball season ala 1968-71! Most coaches thought that lifting during the season would throw your shot completely off. We may all come from the same gene pool, but there is a significant difference in the physicality of todays athlete compared to the "old days!" The game has totally changed due to the athleticism of the participants. I wondering what you thought of the Milwaukee game? It seemed to me that the Necks played team ball for 40 minutes! ;) jc
Blackjack

Neckfansince71 wrote:BlackJack,

Yep, Covington shared the ball, and we saw what they can do ,, we shoot great from three!, There is no reason for Covington to take so many difficult shots, like he did the next game against Purdue, (not that that would have mattered in that game), but it may this one,
Oh yeah, these kids can jump and are super quick, they train with BBall trainers year round, do all kinds of things that are bball specific, they don't just go squat and bench press.. if you look at the website stack.com ,its very scientific
Thinking about it, Larry Bird , DR J, and Magic, etc.. didn't lift very much I'm sure , lol, MJ didn't lift until later in his career.. Kobe always lifted, Lebron didn't need to lift.

Well, I know all about training, During the season you just maintain, you don't want to go from lifting 4 days a week to 0, I just think because of the stress basketball puts on the patellar tendons, you don't want to damage them throwing around weights like a football player. To power clean that much weight you have drop down under the weight and catch it, and you can put the knee out over the toe, which puts extreme pounds of force on the patellar tendon. Just stick to explosive deadlift and keep the force distributed to the posterior chain, IMO,, I just remember seeing Sandifer on Twitter and couldn't believe how much he was powercleaning for a basketball player..
vatusay

I pretty much fall in line with everyone else so far. Play team basketball for 40 minutes and they can play with anyone in the summit IMO. They have the athletic ability it's all weather or not the three is falling. Hopefully gilbeck can get it going against guys his size/smaller. If they continue to force the ball to Garrett, it's going to be a loooong conference season with no trip to South Dakota. Again.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

Gilbeck with 2 early offensive fouls. Hughes comes in for him and gets 2 fouls in less than a minute. Probably all of these fouls are just lousy footwork.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

WIU leads 19-12 at the 10 minute mark, WIU has been called for 6 fouls and IPFW has 0