SDSU 1/4

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I have to say, I wasn't paying attention to the game at all and then just got the notification from ESPN that the game was over and we had won. Apparently my surprise was evident in my eyes because my wife asked me if I was ok. My response was a paraphrasing of the classic Blazing Saddles line...."we're ok, but we're very puzzled".

That was rather unexpected and pleasant surprise, I must say.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

It was a historic 82-74 victory for Western. It was the first time that Western has beat South Dakota State at home. And it broke a 17-game winning streak over Western for South Dakota State.

Their star player #24 Mike Baum was held to just 8 points with 6 of those points coming from free throws.

Garret Covington led the Western scoring with 22 points. Dalan Ancrum came of the bench and scored 16 points. Brandon Gilbeck had 12. Delo Bruster had 10.

Western was 16 for 40 on three-point attempts.

Attendance at Western Hall = 783.

The home games will return to ESPN3 on Jan 21. With the university on semester break, there is minimal staffing and only a single camera is being used.
Blackjack

I know its one game but, if you can't see what we been saying about Ancrum, I don't know what to say.. Played lights out ..

Kudos to coach Wright for leaving him in..

That's what a balanced team offense looks like.. and Defense was solid, we actually got a few steals.
Blackjack

Playing around on the internet,,

The top 3pt% shooter in NCAA d1, is shooting 55.7%

Ancrum is now at 56%......hmmm, maybe he will make the list,,
Oh I see, he does not meet the criteria of, Min. 2.5 made per game.
nevermind.
sealhall74

Continuing the thoughts on shooting percentages, here is something to ponder:

Our big 3 tandem of Gilbeck, Hughes, and Snyder are shooting a combined 11 of 17 (65%) from the field in our first 3 conference games. Small sample size but IMO, they need to take more shots or at least make the opposition guard them as if they are a threat to do so. As Billy mentioned in post-game, we started to make things happen inside the paint in the 2nd half last night. That needs to happen every night for 40 minutes. Every freakin' possession, the ball should get into the paint at least once by pass or guard penetration. If the shot is not there, kick it back out. We have guys who can nail the 3s. If our big guys can gain some confidence going forward, we will be in Sioux Falls come March. The Summit League is wide open this year and any team could walk away with all the marbles.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

sealhall74 wrote:Continuing the thoughts on shooting percentages, here is something to ponder:

Our big 3 tandem of Gilbeck, Hughes, and Snyder are shooting a combined 11 of 17 (65%) from the field in our first 3 conference games. Small sample size but IMO, they need to take more shots or at least make the opposition guard them as if they are a threat to do so. As Billy mentioned in post-game, we started to make things happen inside the paint in the 2nd half last night. That needs to happen every night for 40 minutes. Every freakin' possession, the ball should get into the paint at least once by pass or guard penetration. If the shot is not there, kick it back out. We have guys who can nail the 3s. If our big guys can gain some confidence going forward, we will be in Sioux Falls come March. The Summit League is wide open this year and any team could walk away with all the marbles.
THIS THIS THIS.

Been preaching this for two years.

Good W. Conference is whole new season. Do we see a complete opposite of last year where they came out like gang-busters and completely pooped the bed in conference play? I sure hope so.

Ancrum looks better and better every game. Hope the young guys keep improving. Must give Coach some props. He may be figuring it out. Ill pretend he is a regular visitor on here :lol:
#ALLIN #YOLO
IlliniNeck

Only one team does not make the conference tournament. So at this point, I don't see how we would not make it if we continue playing like this. Omaha is really down this year as well. Hopefully we make a 2012 run.
Neckfansince71

Inside outside is the way to go, either using a post player or driving the lane. But I am not a big fan of the "tear drop" that the red head keeps shooting without the bank board! That's right folks, the "bank board!" I think the boys have finally figured how to play as "one!" Remind me of a saying I used my last year as head coach. "The strength of the pack is in the wolf and the strength of the wolf is in the pack!" ;) jc
Blackjack

vatusay wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Continuing the thoughts on shooting percentages, here is something to ponder:

THIS THIS THIS.

Been preaching this for two years.

Good W. Conference is whole new season. Do we see a complete opposite of last year where they came out like gang-busters and completely pooped the bed in conference play? I sure hope so.

Ancrum looks better and better every game. Hope the young guys keep improving. Must give Coach some props. He may be figuring it out. Ill pretend he is a regular visitor on here :lol:
Gilbeck is blocking shots also, protecting the rim, just needs a double team sometimes, to help him out. I saw the guards collapsing on the post when they passed it inside, I like that adjustment. But just try to keep the ball from getting back out to there best three point shooter wide open. Then try to anticipate, and deflect and steal passes. This is where Mike and Dalan come in.. You saw it tin the second half run we had.. .

Only really tough team in Summit league is NDSU,, it looks like..
wiu712

Ancrum and Gilbeck latest youthful Leathernecks to step up.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... to-step-up