vs Oral Roberts

wiu712

Western wins 86-71! Western is now 3-1 in the Summit League.

Garret Covington led the Western scoring with a career-high 34 points. Mike Miklusak had 18. Dalan Ancrum had 11. Brandon Gilbeck had 10.

Western was 12 for 25 on three-point attempts.

Attendance at Western Hall = 813.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Garret with big game. He was impressively efficient. Wasn't able to see or listen. Was ORU leaving him with clean looks or was he hitting tough shots?

Way to go guys hope can keep it rolling!
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherneckcountry

Great performance by the necks but I find it hard to believe that was the same ORU team that lost by 1 to creighton and 4 to sparty I wonder if it's time for a coaching change at ORU.
Necks2003

The team seems to have responded weĺl so far with Bruster taking over as the starting PG.
wiu2017

Necks2003 wrote:The team seems to have responded weĺl so far with Bruster taking over as the starting PG.

Actually Covington is playing almost as much point as Delo, But Delo is doing fine, , (smart move, kudos coach)
I don't praise Garret much, because he already gets so much ,, but he has stopped turning the ball over, playing better D, and finding the post open.. and that was the quietest 34 points last game, thats good, not forcing.

Bruster is doing ok, but the difference is Ancrum in the second half.. and Gilbeck is actually a factor now.

Coach has played Ancrum the whole second half and that's when we pull away, especially when they have Covington, Miklusak, and Ancrum, and Duff, in. Duff had a great game at IPFW, and is doing ok, but when teams are not that quick, I think coach could put in Morgan with Gilbeck, and Cov,Mike,Ancrum. and we would be blowing teams out. we would have, 6'5, 6'6, 6'5, 6'8, 6'11, three lights out shooters, and shot blocking from the help side to help Gilbeck on D.

I've always known this team has the talent ,, Coach Wright just has to put it together and keep doing what he did last 2 games.. Sub players in for strategic purposes and mismatches, not to punish mistakes or missed shots so much..

This is just fun basketball talk,

Against Denver's princeton offense, Ancrum and Gilbeck are going to pin those cutters layups on the back board .
WE HAVE NEVER beat Denver. Thats about to change.. Go Necks!
sealhall74

Joe Scott is out at Denver and Rodney Billups is in as Denver HC. They are more up-tempo this year, won't grind down the clock on us, but still have to watch out for those backdoor cuts. It is like juggling and riding a bike. You never unlearn that kind of thing.

Never got a chance to see the Oral Bob game as I was at the FCS championship. Flying back today, will try to watch the replay at 36K feet. Maybe Garrett has found his true calling at the PG slot? Leaders lead and make those around him better?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

We were actually able to take down DU last year in Denver. Hopefully they can repeat the performance.
wiu2017

oh yeah we did win 2 games last year in conference, I just read the article about the coach getting fired, Looks like Denver is serious about getting to the NCAA tournament.. Joe was making 400000 plus a yr with bonus's.. Now he is an assistant , probably still making more than coach Wright..
Chauncey Billups little brother is coach, interesting..

Doesn't matter , we can beat them , GoNecks!!