@ Oral Bob

Neckfansince71

Have any of you ever taken a long bus ride home after suffering a loss on the basketball court or football field. I don't care if its just across town or Zion, North Chicago, or Rockford, its always very very long. I experienced trips home from all of the listed towns and have to tell you that the seemingly length has everything to do with the contest's result. In high school, I rode home in a bus that someone had sprayed and emptied the fire extinguisher in, all the way from Zion Benton, after future WIU high jumper Bernie Rodgers and his team mates had pounded Dundee High School into submission on a cold February night in 1970! What a treat! I also had some really nice rides home from successful outings, both as a player and as a coach. A bus ride home from Rockford was quiet but happy after beating Boylan. Everyone was just exhausted but pleased with the result. I am sure the men's team and the women's team enjoyed the ride last night with box lunches and DVD's provided. If I was JD or Billy, I would have made sure that "Hoosiers" was the ride home entertainment!!! ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm Have any of you ever taken a long bus ride home after suffering a loss on the basketball court or football field. I don't care if its just across town or Zion, North Chicago, or Rockford, its always very very long. I experienced trips home from all of the listed towns and have to tell you that the seemingly length has everything to do with the contest's result. In high school, I rode home in a bus that someone had sprayed and emptied the fire extinguisher in, all the way from Zion Benton, after future WIU high jumper Bernie Rodgers and his team mates had pounded Dundee High School into submission on a cold February night in 1970! What a treat! I also had some really nice rides home from successful outings, both as a player and as a coach. A bus ride home from Rockford was quiet but happy after beating Boylan. Everyone was just exhausted but pleased with the result. I am sure the men's team and the women's team enjoyed the ride last night with box lunches and DVD's provided. If I was JD or Billy, I would have made sure that "Hoosiers" was the ride home entertainment!!! ;) jc
NFS71, back in my day, if we lost, the rule was no talking on the ride home, we had to contemplate our failure. That punishment would not work today because everyone is so plugged in to their headphones they have no desire to talk anyway. What do you think, would any coach have the balls to deny players the use of their Beats on the ride home if they took a beating on the playing court/field?
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 am NFS71, back in my day, if we lost, the rule was no talking on the ride home, we had to contemplate our failure. That punishment would not work today because everyone is so plugged in to their headphones they have no desire to talk anyway. What do you think, would any coach have the balls to deny players the use of their Beats on the ride home if they took a beating on the playing court/field?
Idk, but I'd love to see that. An assistant coach standing at the door of the team bus with an empty box. As the players get on the bus, they have to turn over all electronic devices...phones, ipads, etc. No talking on the bus on the way home, no devices, they get them back when they get off the bus back in Macomb.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 am NFS71, back in my day, if we lost, the rule was no talking on the ride home, we had to contemplate our failure. That punishment would not work today because everyone is so plugged in to their headphones they have no desire to talk anyway. What do you think, would any coach have the balls to deny players the use of their Beats on the ride home if they took a beating on the playing court/field?
Idk, but I'd love to see that. An assistant coach standing at the door of the team bus with an empty box. As the players get on the bus, they have to turn over all electronic devices...phones, ipads, etc. No talking on the bus on the way home, no devices, they get them back when they get off the bus back in Macomb.
Agree. Wish we had several hundred active members as this would be a very interesting poll question. I actually think it would be a benefit even when it comes to recruiting as it demonstrates a clear focus on accountability and priorities.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 amWould any coach have the balls to deny players the use of their Beats on the ride home if they took a beating on the playing court/field?
Interesting proposal.

People around campus during the Coach Derek Thomas years will remember that there were a couple of Western players who would wear their portable listening devices during the pre-game warm-ups.
vatusay

I do remember! I can't remember specific players but navonte kentle and marlon mahorn come to mind for some reason. Man I wish they had some coaching/discipline for that talent. Those teams had so much potential even with nick collision (I think) reversing his commit.

I'm all for the no electronics after a loss. If they are allowed to do anything it should be watch a replay of the game they just lost in.
#ALLIN #YOLO