@ NDSU

wiu712

North Dakota State wins the game 100-91 in double-overtime. A much better game for Western than the 89-57 beat-down that we saw back in January at Western Hall.

Garret Covington led the Western scoring with 32 points. Dalan Ancrum had 19. Mike Miklusak had 10.

BIG free throw differential. North Dakota State shot 43 (made 36). Western shot 22 (made 17).

Attendance at North Dakota State = 4,696.

The Dakotas have a definite plus with the Midco Sports Network. We have nothing here that duplicates that.

Western will return home to Western Hall for the final two games of the regular season. Thursday's game vs South Dakota will be "Shoot for the Car Give-away Night" sponsored by Kunes Country Auto. Game time is 7PM. The game will be on ESPN3.
sealhall74

Mike Daum tossed in 51 tonight against Fort Wayne. Jacks won it on the road. The Jacks are the one team I would really hate to play in the opening round of tournament. We are in for sure. ORU has a mathematical chance I think if they win their one game next week and IUPUI loses their next 3. IUPUI is at Denver tomorrow and home against Fort Wayne and USD next week. Three losses for them is cerrtainly within the realm of good possibilities unless Fort Wayne decides to roll over for their fellow Hoosier school. I would not mind seeing and hearing that ORU Pep Band again this year. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

The ORU band should be there for at least one women's game. My seats are close to the visitor end which has had the Golden Eagle band. It is another one of the flavors of the SLT. The Leatherneck band had a few moments there as well. Ft Wayne band is also a good addition even though they may only have one team as well.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

That reminds me. Last year, since only one team made the tournament, they didn't feel it was financially a good idea to pay to send the pep band for possibly only one game. This year though, with both teams making the tournament (barring some crazy-weird scenario to finish out the season), the pep band has been informed that they will be going to the tournament. So for anyone that missed them not being there last year, they'll be back this year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu2013

Both teams will definitely be there this year, so I am glad to hear the band will be able to make the trip. How about the band goes and we leave the cheerleaders at home!
wiu2013

I love the band because if it weren't for them it would be a "library" at the games, and they play good music. You definitely miss them when they are not in Western Hall. My one small gripe (and it is small because it does not happen often) is sometimes they play songs that does not match the game time atmosphere. Take in point Tuesday night Denver game. It was late in the second half, a time-out was called or media time occurred, Western had gotten back to the game, and instead of playing the fight song or some other song to get the crowd "excited" they played "hey baby, I want to know." Love the song and it is a great song to play at a game, but not at that moment.
wiu712

wiu2013 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 pmTake in point Tuesday night Denver game. It was late in the second half, a time-out was called or media time occurred, Western had gotten back to the game, and instead of playing the fight song or some other song to get the crowd "excited" they played "hey baby, I want to know." Love the song and it is a great song to play at a game, but not at that moment.
When we were making that 20-0 run vs Denver, the crowd was on their feet and cheering at the time out. Perfect time for the Fight Song to keep the crowd engaged and the noise going.

Another odd song selection was the band playing KC and the Sunshine Band's "That's the Way I Like It" when Denver was on a huge run in the first half.

Don't know if we had a different band director on Wednesday for the Women's game, but there was a difference as the Fight Song was played at least 3 times in that final exciting minute of the game.

Great news to hear that Pep Band will be there this year. They have been supporting the teams all season.
sealhall74

What we need here is some "artificial intelligence". A computer is keeping track of scores and everything else that is going on during the game. Using a programmed knowledge base, that same or a different networked computer could easily determine the best song for the current moment as well as the best messages for the video board. Seriously, this would be a great graduate level research project for the university to dive in on. The computer department working alongside the music department to benefit the athletic department.

Regarding the tournament, already getting psyched up for it. Staying close to the Big Sioux River Greenway trails for exercise between basketball sessions and can always come back to hotel and soak in my private jacuzzi tub to relax. Those 7 or 8 hours of basketball for 3 straight days is tough on the back. That is why I had to upgrade to the jacuzzi suite this year. If the weather is nice, I think I am going to look into a bike rental for that greenway.

http://www.twdbikes.com/articles/sioux- ... s-pg94.htm
sealhall74

Just ordered me a "Fear the Purple" T-shirt from The Purple Store for the upcoming tournament. Good to see my alma mater is on their very select list of colleges and universities.

https://www.thepurplestore.com/purplecolleges.shtml
wiu712

North Dakota State beat Oral Roberts 82-80 on Wednesday night.

Oral Roberts finishes the season in 9th place with a 4-11 record.