17/18 Season - vs St. Mary's Univ of MN

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think that it might be useful (and a bit easier for me) to do threads for essentially a week or weekend's worth of games this season, if that's ok with everyone. I'm not going to do write ups of games like I do with football because I know comparatively very little about the game of basketball (I know most of the basics...but that's about it). Those of you who are more knowledgeable about basketball, feel free to chime in, discuss, whatever.

It looks like WRMS is going to be carrying both the Men's and Women's games this year...looks like most, if not all of the games.
You can listen live here: http://www.wrmsfm.com/listen-online/

Saturday, November 11th
Leathernecks vs St. Mary's University of Minnesota Cardinals (DIII)
7:00 PM at Western Hall.
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/wiu/mbball/
More info: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/11/ ... -home.aspx
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Newbie Webster and oldster Gilbeck impressing my tired desert sun-strained eyes so far tonight. Scratching my head wondering how teams can come into Western Hall and nail the 3s like they do. After more scratching, the sagging man-to-man D opens that door. Some nights you are going to get burned with it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

Looks like it maybe another long season.
wiu712

Western was only ahead 47-43 at the half. But Western out-scored St Mary's 62-25 in the second half.

Western won the game 109-68.

St Mary's was 16 for 32 (50%) on three-pointers.

Brandon Gilbeck led the Western scoring with 31 points. Dalan Ancrum had 21. Kobe Webster had 19.

Attendance was 694. That is approx 300 less than the Women had for their game on Friday night.

On the WRMS Post-Game Show, Sam Kuperman said that Brad Underwood (the UIUC Head Coach) wanted to play an exhibition game vs Western in Macomb. But NCAA travel restrictions for exhibition games would not allow that to happen. So the Illini played at Eastern instead. That would have been a bigger game at Western Hall than the 2005 game that we had with the Indiana Hooisers.

Brad Underwood was an asst coach at Western 1992-2003.
wiu712

The crowd was 694. "Event Staff" were still chasing out late-arriving Western students from sitting in the empty spaces in the Reserved sections.
sealhall74

Two questions to think about on this Sunday:

1. This was an exhibition game for Saint Mary's U so did Gilbeck really score 31 points in the eyes of the NCAA? I say No.

2. Would attendance be better if we had a simple first-come first-served open seating policy? I say
Yes. We would also do better at the concession stand.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

I personally believe the season ticket holders get there seats and everything else is open to whoever shows up 1st since the new seating went in they expanded the reserved area.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm Western was only ahead 47-43 at the half. But Western out-scored St Mary's 62-25 in the second half.

Brandon Gilbeck led the Western scoring with 31 points. Dalan Ancrum had 21. Kobe Webster had 19.

Attendance was 694. That is approx 300 less than the Women had for their game on Friday night.

On the WRMS Post-Game Show, Sam Kuperman said that Brad Underwood (the UIUC Head Coach) wanted to play an exhibition game vs Western in Macomb. But NCAA travel restrictions for exhibition games would not allow that to happen. So the Illini played at Eastern instead. That would have been a bigger game at Western Hall than the 2005 game that we had with the Indiana Hooisers.

I wonder why they couldn't play at Western, but could play at Eastern
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm Western was only ahead 47-43 at the half. But Western out-scored St Mary's 62-25 in the second half.

I wonder why they couldn't play at Western, but could play at Eastern
Distance.
Bill Holstein

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:01 pm Newbie Webster and oldster Gilbeck impressing my tired desert sun-strained eyes so far tonight. Scratching my head wondering how teams can come into Western Hall and nail the 3s like they do. After more scratching, the sagging man-to-man D opens that door. Some nights you are going to get burned with it.
Agreed. I think this Webster kid could be the next Jabari. He has great vision. Thot that half court pass to ancrum was amazing.