VS. Eastern Illinois

wiu712

Men’s basketball to pounce the Panthers.

From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39616/sports ... -panthers/
leatherneckcountry

Claar isn’t dressed looks like it might be a struggle to get 500 fans at the game tonight.
basfan445

Wow. Was following from work. What a crazy game and crazy ending. I believe EIU is a pretty good team this year so that's a big win to get that at home. Congrats to us but still a lot of work to be done. 2-0 is 2-0.
Neckfansince71

Not sure what the thought process was on the 1-1 free-throw at the end of the game as far as putting players on the freethrow lane. I think there should have been at least on player on either side in case of a miss or to immediately play defense. But, I have also seen fouls in that situation so the best thing to do is have CJ hit both freethrowns and then it is over! 2-0 is 2-0!! ;) jc
Last edited by Neckfansince71 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neckfansince71

[quote=Neckfansince71 post_id=18062 time=1510801169 user_id=54]
Not sure what the thought process was on the 1-1 free-throw at the end of the game as far as putting players on the freethrow lane. I think there should have been at least on player on either side in case of a miss or to immediately play defense. But, I have also seen fouls in that situation so the best thing to do is have CJ hit both freethrowns and then it is over! Really really good defense at the end of the game. I mean, EIU could not find an open shot in the last couple of minutes. We had some freshmen really step up in this ball game. 2-0 is 2-0!! ;) jc
Necks2003

It is good to win a close game down the stretch early in the season and get the confidence that they know they can pull it off. Overall I thought they seemed a bit cold until the last few minutes when Ancrum finally hit a couple of shots. Hopefull they just get better from here going forward. If Duff starts knocking down 3s consistently once again, it could be a nice duo between him and the new Webster kid combined with Ancrum and Gilbeck.
wiu712

Western wins 56-54.

Eastern only scored 2 points in the last 4:53. And those points came with 14 seconds left in the game.

Dalan Ancrum led the Western scoring with 21 points. Kobe Webster had 10.

Dalan Ancrum scored Western's last 11 points of the game: three 3-pointers and two free throws.

Attendance at Western Hall was 645. For a game with your cross-state rival, that has to be considered a very disappointing turnout. This was the 157th meeting between Western and Eastern.

I can remember the days when the crowd would have been lined-up going down the sidewalks on University Drive waiting to get into Western Hall for a game with Eastern. People would be standing in the corners on both the main floor and the balconies.

Western basketball has drawn two small crowds this week. The Women had 352 for their game last night. And the Men had 645 for tonight's game.

The Axe returns to Western:
Last edited by wiu712 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Holstein

That was a good win versus a very good team. EIU beat illinois and should have beaten Nebraska, a big 10 team. The Webster kid proved himself again, which is nice to see. Same goes for Morgan as he had a big game. Just need to keep Gilbeck in the game and have him stay out of foul trouble. Helps to have a rim protector out there.

Attendance was horrible, and I'm not sure why. You would think people would want to see a rivalry game. Especially when one of the teams has beaten the best team in the state. It just seems like the community, and the students, do not care about basketball right now. Hardly a student section at any of the games. Maybe once football ends there will be some turnout.
wiu712

Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 amAttendance was horrible, and I'm not sure why. You would think people would want to see a rivalry game.
A crowd of only 645 for this game is not good at all. Down right embarrassing.

Those new black-padded seats at Western Hall are not very attractive. Since all of the other seats are Purple, going with Purple-padded seats would have been a better option. It would certainly look much better.

And with the very small crowds so far this season, those blacks seats really stand out when most of them are empty.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 am
Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 amAttendance was horrible, and I'm not sure why. You would think people would want to see a rivalry game.
A crowd of only 645 for this game is not good at all. Down right embarrassing.

Those new black-padded seats at Western Hall are not very attractive. Since all of the other seats are Purple, going with Purple-padded seats would have been a better option. It would certainly look much better.

And with the very small crowds so far this season, those blacks seats really stand out when most of them are empty.
A simple solution would be to randomly select X (whatever number seems appropriate for the evening) patrons and families for a "Best Seats in the House" upgrade. Announce the winners during first media timeout.
Embrace the pace of the race.