vs Miami (OH), vs American, vs Milwaukee

wiu2013

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 pm I know it's dead week but I was impressed by the student turnout by far the most students I've seen at a game this year.
Those Dollar Dogs bring out all fans, including starving students, like cockroaches in the wee dark hours of night. The local Class A ball team here has Dollar Dogs on Monday nights and that is the only weeknight I will show up. Offer up not just plain Dogs but true Chicago Dogs and you would probably have a lot more showing up. BTW, next year, Chicago has a new pro ball team in town. Yep, you guessed it, they are called THE Chicago Dogs.

https://twitter.com/TheChicagoDogs
There is no "game atmosphere" for students to get excited or any fan to get excited about. If it were not for the band there would be no cheering. In the handful of home games I have heard the cheerleaders once or twice, and I am pretty sure the band started the cheer. They should be a presence on the floor every time out even if their is a "terrible" promotion game being played. At times I feel like a lot of people need to study "game time atmosphere" at other small universities. During the Miami of Ohio game when we are playing double-overtime the fight song should have been played several times and the cheerleaders should have been on the floor leading the crowd. One time-out the band played (excuse me for the wrong title) "Hey Baby, I want to know." Great song, but not at that time. The only time the students get excited is when it is time for free pizza, and throwing t-shirts after "3's."
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu2013 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am There is no "game atmosphere" for students to get excited or any fan to get excited about. If it were not for the band there would be no cheering. In the handful of home games I have heard the cheerleaders once or twice, and I am pretty sure the band started the cheer. They should be a presence on the floor every time out even if their is a "terrible" promotion game being played. At times I feel like a lot of people need to study "game time atmosphere" at other small universities. During the Miami of Ohio game when we are playing double-overtime the fight song should have been played several times and the cheerleaders should have been on the floor leading the crowd. One time-out the band played (excuse me for the wrong title) "Hey Baby, I want to know." Great song, but not at that time. The only time the students get excited is when it is time for free pizza, and throwing t-shirts after "3's."
Something that occurred to me is that it almost feels like the students that are there essentially treat it as no different than if they were sitting on their couch at home watching the game on TV. They sit there, casually playing on their phones, occasionally looking up at the game to see what's going on or if there's something interesting, but mostly just sitting there, hanging out. They might stand up at the end of the game and clap a few times, but that's about it. It's almost like they don't realize that the whole "big game atmosphere" that some schools have....THEY are the ones who need to create that...it's not just going to happen around them. THEY need to get up and yell...THEY need to cheer and clap and stomp and get into the game. And THEY are the ones who need to get a group of friends together to go to the game so they can all do it (and so they won't be the lone "nutball in section E" screaming his face off).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

wiu2013 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 pm I know it's dead week but I was impressed by the student turnout by far the most students I've seen at a game this year.
Those Dollar Dogs bring out all fans, including starving students, like cockroaches in the wee dark hours of night. The local Class A ball team here has Dollar Dogs on Monday nights and that is the only weeknight I will show up. Offer up not just plain Dogs but true Chicago Dogs and you would probably have a lot more showing up. BTW, next year, Chicago has a new pro ball team in town. Yep, you guessed it, they are called THE Chicago Dogs.

https://twitter.com/TheChicagoDogs
There is no "game atmosphere" for students to get excited or any fan to get excited about. If it were not for the band there would be no cheering. In the handful of home games I have heard the cheerleaders once or twice, and I am pretty sure the band started the cheer. They should be a presence on the floor every time out even if their is a "terrible" promotion game being played. At times I feel like a lot of people need to study "game time atmosphere" at other small universities. During the Miami of Ohio game when we are playing double-overtime the fight song should have been played several times and the cheerleaders should have been on the floor leading the crowd. One time-out the band played (excuse me for the wrong title) "Hey Baby, I want to know." Great song, but not at that time. The only time the students get excited is when it is time for free pizza, and throwing t-shirts after "3's."
Go to the Advocare Invite hosted at Disney's Wide World of Sports if you want to see how to keep the fans involved with music, games, and such. The below mannequin challenge was a half-time show they had last year. Their half-time shows are always unique. This year they had a couple of non-tradiitional rappers (i.e. they were white) working both sides of the stands, walking the aisles, when someone held up an object (car keys, cell phone, pocket comb, or whatever), they would come up with an impromptu rap lyric to fit the occasion. The guys alternated back and forth and never missed a beat.

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Late run leads WIU past American.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... t-american
Bill Holstein

wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm Late run leads WIU past American.

Convinced that Scott Holland hates our bigs. The red head finally had a break out game and he barely mentioned it. He only talks about him at the end of the article and only talks about the turnovers. Didn't anyone else realize that the kid was one block away from the school record? And two away from a triple double. Maybe it's only us big men that appreciate defense.
sealhall74

Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm Late run leads WIU past American.

Convinced that Scott Holland hates our bigs. The red head finally had a break out game and he barely mentioned it. He only talks about him at the end of the article and only talks about the turnovers. Didn't anyone else realize that the kid was one block away from the school record? And two away from a triple double. Maybe it's only us big men that appreciate defense.
Check his live tweet stream. He knew what was going on.

If you are a big man who favors defense, I am interested in your take on how Gilbeck should defend Daum come conference play. When Daum pops out beyond the arc, does Gilbeck go with him?
wiu712

wiu2013 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 amDuring the Miami of Ohio game when we are playing double-overtime, the Fight Song should have been played several times and the cheerleaders should have been on the floor leading the crowd. One time-out the band played (excuse me for the wrong title) "Hey Baby, I want to know." Great song, but not at that time.
I agree about playing the Fight Song more--especially in a close game like the double-overtime with Miami. Play the Fight Song, get the cheerleaders and dance team on the floor to lead the crowd.

Often times, the Band and the cheerleaders are cheering two different things. Maybe they should be in closer proximity and working together more.

The "Dollar Dogs" seemed to be very popular. I saw a lot of people eating them.
wiu712

Role players shine for Leathernecks; defense leading the way.

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... eading-way
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: I agree about playing the Fight Song more--especially in a close game like the double-overtime with Miami. Play the Fight Song, get the cheerleaders and dance team on the floor to lead the crowd.

Often times, the Band and the cheerleaders are cheering two different things. Maybe they should be in closer proximity and working together more.
I'll mention it on Saturday that we should play the fight song more if the game is close late.

Also, regarding the cheerleaders and band being on the same page, we do try sometimes, but to be fair, you pretty much can't hear them at all at the other end of the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I am hoping for a blowout win over UWM so we don't put any added pressure on the band before finals start. ;)

I just thought of a possible way to drum us some interest to a hoop game after new year starts. Why not a song parody contest, sort of a karaoke approach. Let everyone come up with their own voice(s) and lyrics to Queen's "We are the Champions" song. Have campus wide voting the week before the game to narrow to top 3. Play those on the video board at half time. Winner is one with one most fan applause. Something different. Either groups or individuals could enter.

[youtube][/youtube]