vs Miami (OH), vs American, vs Milwaukee

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Back home....nice win. Definitely some areas for improvement, but to have that many turnovers and still win by a decent margin (decent enough that the last minute was pretty much just standing around with the ball)...I'll take it.

Maybe it's just me but it seemed like the first part of the second half, the guys (especially Gilbeck) seemed to just stop going for rebounds and stuff. Like, they'd turn away from the basket and start running the other way before the ball even came down. Were some of them in foul trouble and couldn't risk getting in there and mixing it up a bit...or were they just conserving energy for the last "quarter" of the game?

Anyway...still a win and still a great start to the season so far.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Yea, me too wish we would show more effort on the offensive boards. I kind of look at an offensive rebound and putback as a big momentum changer.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western beat American University 69-56. Western went on a 15-0 run to end the game. Western is now 6-2 on the season. Up next is UW-Milwaukee: Saturday at 7PM at Western Hall.

Brandon Gilbeck led the Western scoring with 17 points. Kobe Webster had 15. C.J. Duff had 10.

Western had 19 turnovers.

Attendance at Western Hall = 616.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Obviously he's put on a bit of muscle, but I can't be the first person to think of a very Larry Bird-esque nickname for Brandon Gilbeck..."The String Bean from Spring Green".
leatherneckcountry

I know it's dead week but I was impressed by the student turnout by far the most students I've seen at a game this year.
Western_101

What can be done to make games more appealing to students and student groups?

OK, I will be the one to acknowledge the Elephant in the room.

Kids get beer and hangout, or go downtown and get a beer, or do whatever and have a beer. That's not changing, that's not ever changing.

Maybe Western should change.

If I were a student now with the cost of the Student loans hanging over my head, I don't think a mid-week game against a Patriot League Team would be enough to have me trek across campus and sit in bleachers mid-week (by the way I am grateful that we had a Storied MAC team come to WIU let alone a Patriot League memeber.)

Miami is the birthplace to many Fraternities (Miami Triad) some of whom have a presence on the Macomb Campus of Westerrn

Maybe Western, needs to try something different. I know, I know, I'm worried too that changing might kick them off the US News and World Report list of best colleges. Princeton, always felt us nipping at their heals.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 pm I know it's dead week but I was impressed by the student turnout by far the most students I've seen at a game this year.
Those Dollar Dogs bring out all fans, including starving students, like cockroaches in the wee dark hours of night. The local Class A ball team here has Dollar Dogs on Monday nights and that is the only weeknight I will show up. Offer up not just plain Dogs but true Chicago Dogs and you would probably have a lot more showing up. BTW, next year, Chicago has a new pro ball team in town. Yep, you guessed it, they are called THE Chicago Dogs.

https://twitter.com/TheChicagoDogs
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm Obviously he's put on a bit of muscle, but I can't be the first person to think of a very Larry Bird-esque nickname for Brandon Gilbeck..."The String Bean from Spring Green".
I think he is playing at an ideal weight right now. That block he got on the AU break when he came from behind to get the swat was as athletic play as I have ever seen from a WIU big man.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm Obviously he's put on a bit of muscle, but I can't be the first person to think of a very Larry Bird-esque nickname for Brandon Gilbeck..."The String Bean from Spring Green".
I think he is playing at an ideal weight right now. That block he got on the AU break when he came from behind to get the swat was as athletic play as I have ever seen from a WIU big man.
That was a TP type block.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 am
Absolutely...I think it's the best I've ever seen him play...blocking shots all day.