Why won't Bradley play Western?

Western_101

I notice that Bradley frequently plays Eastern. Western is the closest non-con D-I program distance wise from Bradley. According to Google Maps it is a driving distance of 68.2 miles.

I understand why they wouldn't play us in the Molinari era. He was popular at Bradley and was fired and of course Bradley would't want to run the risk of being embarrassed by a coach they fired.

But what is the hold up now?
vatusay

Billy was a guard under molinari there. Think that would have any effect?

I don’t see why it would, but it’s a connection.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

Bradley might think they are deserving of a 2 for 1 contract. We might want a simple home and home agreement. More likely, our RPI being what is has been recently, it is not a gamble they are willing to take (i.e. nothing to gain, everything to lose with a shared recruiting area).
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Yea that would be understandable if they didn’t play EIU. Maybe it’s the MVFC connection? How lon has it been since WIU played ISUr, ISUb, UNI, SIU, or MSU? I think it could be that the Valley doesn’t want to give TSL a chance at taking them on. With the departure of WSU and Creighton the two conferences are a lot closer in talent than the MVC would like to admit.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Western_101

Well, Bradley played IUPUI. When that game was scheduled IUPUI was a Summit member with a lousy RPI (they still have a bad RPI).

So is anyone going to tell me that if Billy Wright was the coach at IUPUI that contest would not be scheduled?

Would Bradley send a message to their players past and present that if you ever get a D-I gig we will refuse to play you? That is beyond absurd.

They have had plenty of bad RPI games on their schedules the past few years. Also, the general public doesn't delineate OVC/Summit, both 1 bid "Low major" leagues.

On Bradley's Schedule this year:

Lewis (D-II)
Robert Morris Chicago (NAIA)
IUPUI
Missouri S&T (D-II)
Eastern Illinois
Little Rock
Chicago State

Um, that is weak, even for Western standards that is weak. Also, there is a substantial amount of Western alumni in Peoria, Bradley's attendance has plummeted, could be a contest that would bring in as many WIU fans as BU fans.

By the way I live in Peoria and was a Season ticket holder for a few years, but still go to at least 3 games a year (got to pass the winter blues somehow).
Western_101

According to RealtimeRPI
[http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_bask ... _Full.html]

Western - 130
Eastern - 226
IUPUI - 290
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, I don't understand it either. You'd think they'd want well-attended games at home. I'm sure it wouldn't be any worse than games against Missouri S&T or Little Rock.

And on the away side of things, it'd be incredibly cheap in terms of travel for them. Pretty sure Peoria Charter knows how to get to Macomb...that's what we usually use for our athletics bus travel, I think. Plus, no hotel to deal with. Load up around 8, be here by 10 for a late morning practice here...grab some lunch...do whatever else it is teams do at that point...play an evening game, done by 9, home by midnight. As away games go, that's gotta be a pretty easy schedule to handle.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

When I was in school Peoria Charter did a Macomb to Bradley to ISU to Joliet to Chicago Route.

I think the Macomb leg was dropped.

I know Peoria Charter bought out Illini Swallow (great name :lol: ) so Peoria Charter has one or more of their buses at the Champaign depot wrapped in Illini swag. I thought Burlington Trailways was doing Western's travel?

I know Peoria Charter does:

Bradley, ISU, U of I, and apparently WIU. I know that all their new coaches starting 5 years ago are painted white (did away with the Red went to neutral). It't become the biggest downstate Charter service in the State.

:shock: The lenghts I will go to ignore my Leatherneck Football pain, charter coaches, really........*sigh* whatever gets you through the night.
Western_101

Neckfansince71, I need someone who coached basketball and is an ardent 'Neckfan to help us understand my quasi rant.
wiu712

RedNeck wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 pmI thought Burlington Trailways was doing Western's travel?
Burlington Trailways does do Western's trips. They are an Elite Corporate Partner of Western Athletics.