So how good are we?

Neckfansince71

So here we are 7-2, with some earlier wins that could definitely have gone either way against EIU and SIUE, a tough loss versus MiamiO, and bit of a beat down versus IowaSt. Expected wins over a D3 school and Cavalry. Then there is IUPUI, American, and finally last nights game against Milwaukee which had WIU's RPI jump 55 spots to 162. The top 10 includes, 1 senior (Ancrum) (Gilbeck) who is playing with some big time SASSS, 4 juniors (Bruster, Morgan, Gavin & Gilbeck who is playing with some big tie SASSSS!), 2 sophomores (Usiocefe who is hitting the boards like a mad man and playing good D, and Duff who is back on track shooting and ball handling) and finally 2 true freshman (Webster and Johnson who need no introduction although Johnson's minutes are truly on the rise)! So just how good are we?? Last year at this juncture WIU sat 3-7 with Purdue on the horizon.

So my thought is, much, much improved!!! Team defense, team offense, team character, team, team, team, team!!! And we appear to be getting better with each outing. Butler will be a true measuring stick, but no matter what, we are definitely headed in the right direction! Now, if we can get this attendance number versus butts in the seats fixed we just might be able to have some real fun! ;) jc
wiu2013

I think conference will be tough. Everyone is the conference is pretty good although their records may not indicate it at this time.
This team definitely plays as a team. They came into the season with no real "super star," everyone is playing their true position, and I believe they think they have something to prove being picked last in conference. Let's just hope that they can remain healthy and we should be in for an interesting conference season.
sealhall74

Stay healthy is understatement of year. Gilbeck got gimpy last night late in the game. What he was doing playing that late in game is beyond me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Basketball is the ultimate team sport, and thus, hey are looking much more improved over last year.

That Miami loss was tough, could easily be 8-1!
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Stay healthy is understatement of year. Gilbeck got gimpy last night late in the game. What he was doing playing that late in game is beyond me.
That was exactly my thought. He was definitely wincing in pain quite a few times later in the game when we were already up by ~30. I would have liked to see him sit out a bit more in the second half because I think we're really going to need him more later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Like I mentioned before I think the 2 south dakota schools are clearly above everyone else USD has been more consistent but SDSU is the best team when playing at there best even though there guards aren't very good. Then you have WIU, Denver IPFW and NDSU. Denver and WIU are similar they have a very good big man with very solid guards but there going to win games on the defensive end. NDSU has very good Shooters and play really good defense but not much inside. IPFW has two guards who can get 30 on a given night with an ok big man probably the best offense of the mentioned group but not as good on the defensive end then there's ORU and Omaha.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm
sealhall74 wrote:Stay healthy is understatement of year. Gilbeck got gimpy last night late in the game. What he was doing playing that late in game is beyond me.
That was exactly my thought. He was definitely wincing in pain quite a few times later in the game when we were already up by ~30. I would have liked to see him sit out a bit more in the second half because I think we're really going to need him more later in the season.

Well one good thing is they get the week off with finals starting, so hopefully everybody can rest up a little bit.

Also I was hopeful obviously they would go 4-0, which they should have, but 3-1 was great. I think they are a good summit League team, just wish they had a little more depth.
wiu2017

We are a young team. So we should be getting better. Kobe is a freshman Ancrum has never had the ball this much the past 3 yrs.. Our team chemistry should get even better., turnovers should go down. So there's that. We can beat any Summit league team. We should beat Eastern because we are more experienced now.. Butler is gonna be super tough game..
If we shoot like we did last game, we will be in it..

Coach s doing some good things, and he is not subbing so much, like last year. The defense is solid, Coach has them helping and switching , etc good.
Bill Holstein

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am Stay healthy is understatement of year. Gilbeck got gimpy last night late in the game. What he was doing playing that late in game is beyond me.
I was sitting behind the bench when the red head was finally subbed out. The short bald coach yelled at him, told him he wasn't hurt and that he was soft. My guess is that he was testing his toughness and wanted to see how long he could play through it.

Not sure why you would want to test the kid while you're up 30. Poor kid was limping around the court for 10 minutes. Still had a couple of dunks and a block, but he should have came out sooner.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yeah, I can understand playing through the pain, but when we're that much up in a non-conference game, I don't see the point in seeing how far he can be pushed. If he comes up injured, I think it's all on that coach. Then again, I've never been a coach, so I don't know what the history or motivation is.

From my view, it looked like he was actually feeling pretty hurt and probably should have come out much sooner.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000