at Eastern Illinois, at Butler, vs Lincoln Christian

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The men's basketball team is taking a bit of a break from games this week to focus on finals, but they'll be back in action a week from today. The three remaining games of 2017 are also the three remaining non-conference games outside of a home matchup with Oak Hills Christian (NCCAA, from Bemidji, MN).

Eastern Illinois University Panthers
Charleston, IL
Tuesday, December 19 at 7:30 PM
Video on OVC Digital Network, Live Stats
EIU is currently 2-6 and lost to Western (56-54) on 11/15 in Macomb. Their two wins this season are against IUPUI and DIII Fontbonne University. If we keep playing the way we have been lately, we should be able to win this one.

Butler University Bulldogs
Indianapolis, IN
Thursday, December 21 at 7 PM
Live Stats
Butler is currently 8-2 with wins over Kennesaw State, Princeton, Furman, Portland State, Ohio State (in OT), Saint Louis, Utah, and Youngstown State. Losses to Maryland and Texas. They have upcoming games against #17 Purdue (12/16) and Morehead State (12/19) prior to our game with them. Butler has made the NCAA tournament in 9 of the last 11 years, making it the championship game in both 2010 and 2011. Last year, they made it to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to #1 seed North Carolina.
Not going to lie...this one will be tough. Like Iowa State, it'll be a very good test for our guys. I'm not expecting a win, but if we did pull off the upset, it'd probably be about on-par with the win over Wisconsin a couple of a years ago.

Lincoln Christian Red Lions (from Lincoln, IL)
Macomb, IL
Sunday, December 31 at 2 PM
Video will be on Leathernecks All-Access, Live Stats
LCU is a member of the NAIA and NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association). They are 4-9 so far this season and we are the only DI school on their schedule (LCU's full schedule). This one should be a good opportunity for the coaches to work on some areas that need improvement, get the younger guys some more experience, and maybe try out a few things that they might have been wanting to try out in game situations...although you don't want to let this one stay close for too long...don't need a letdown after the Butler game.

Following those three, we hit the road for the start of conference play early in 2018.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Leathernecks winning with defensive mindset that looks like the past.

From the Burlington Hawk-Eye:
http://www.thehawkeye.com/sports/201712 ... -like-past
Neckfansince71

I think that this game will really provide us insight as to how improved our men's basketball team is and how well they will do in the future. It was a tough nose to nose battle back in November, I see no reason for this to change on Tuesday. I am not sure where the Panthers are as far as their youth is concerned, but our youngsters have responded and grown up quickly. Still would like to have the Miami game back. Lets see how things go against EIU! ;) jc
sealhall74

Massey currently has us 5 point dogs against the Panthers. Jury is still out IMO on how good we are. A couple of days ago when I checked, our D1 wins have been against teams with a combined 24-33 record. Small sample size for sure. The first conference game on the road against the Yotes will be a true indication of where we are going this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am Leathernecks winning with defensive mindset that looks like the past.

From the Burlington Hawk-Eye:
http://www.thehawkeye.com/sports/201712 ... -like-past
I like the comment from Billy, saying Kobe thinks he is Steph Curry.
meganeck

Sounds like EIU will be without one of their top players in Terrell Lewis.
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 pm Sounds like EIU will be without one of their top players in Terrell Lewis.
When a team loses their best ball handler, you bring the heat against them, early and often.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Bill Holstein

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 pm Sounds like EIU will be without one of their top players in Terrell Lewis.
Didn't sound like he was that injured. I'm expecting him to play. But even if he does, he shouldn't bother the necks too badly.
meganeck

Bill Holstein wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:27 am
Didn't sound like he was that injured. I'm expecting him to play. But even if he does, he shouldn't bother the necks too badly.
Unless something changed, what I saw after EIU's game Saturday. They said Lewis will probably miss 2 more games
wiu712

The Eastern Illinois Men’s Basketball team was stuck in Mobile, Alabama due to the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (Atlanta) power outage.

EIU played at South Alabama (Mobile) on Saturday--losing the game 63-52.

The team was originally supposed to be routed through Atlanta during their scheduled flight with Delta.

The team stayed the night in Mobile and was able to find flights on a different airline carrier Monday morning and flew through Charlotte and is arriving in St. Louis Monday evening.