vs Omaha, vs Oak Hills Christian

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

8-6 overall now, 0-2 in the conference after losses at South Dakota and Oral Roberts.

This week should be a bit easier, but we'll see.

Omaha Mavericks
Macomb, IL
Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 7 PM
Omaha is currently 5-13 overall, 0-2 in the Summit League, with a 3-13 DI record. They have wins over Drake, Arkansas State, and Montana State. In conference, they lost to Oral Roberts (93-74) and South Dakota State (101-88).

Oak Hills Christian Wolfpack (NCCAA, ACCA)
Macomb, IL
Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 7 PM
Oak Hills is 2-11 this season. We are the only DI school they play this year.

Live stats for both games will be here: http://www.sidearmstats.com/wiu/mbball/
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Oak Hills has a couple of players who are 6'3". The only thing we can possibly improve on in this game is our ability to get up and down the court. Of course, an hour on the treadmill in the Rec Center would probably accomplish just as much.

Oops, I was off by a few inches. Add a guy who is 6'6" but from the picture, he looks an inch shorter than the guy who is 6'3". They definitely used a weird lens to take that picture.

https://www.oakhills.edu/athletics/mens ... all-roster

You can catch them live tonight (Tues) on YouTube as they take on Leech Lake Tribal College.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western played Oak Hills Christian last year and won that game 95-48.
Bill Holstein

Oak hill is a joke. This game is just a stat booster for coach Wright. Never understood why they couldn't at least play a good d3 team. Why all of these small naia /Christians league?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 am Oak hill is a joke. This game is just a stat booster for coach Wright. Never understood why they couldn't at least play a good d3 team. Why all of these small naia /Christians league?
Yeah, I don't get it. I mean, I understand occasionally playing a team that you know you're likely to beat, so you have a tune-up and stuff, but why wouldn't you try to get someone a bit more local than a team from Bemidji (far North), MN. You're not going to get anybody coming down from Bemidji to watch the game, so attendance is going to be bad. Between DII and DIII there's plenty of schools within a few hours of us that we could find a way to play.
DII we've got Truman State, Quincy, UI-Springfield, McKendree, Lindenwood, UM-St. Louis, Maryville.
DIII you've got Monmouth College, Knox College, Augustana, Blackburn, Illinois College, MacMurray, Iowa Wesleyan, Fontbonne, Washington, and Webster Universities (those last three all in St. Louis).
NAIA DI includes schools like Culver-Stockton and Hannibal-La Grange
I'd think any of those schools would be at least a little bit tougher competition and would draw at least a couple more fans from their respective schools to Western Hall than Oak Hills or Calvary University (Kansas City)...neither of which are NCAA or NAIA. We also played St. Mary's (MN) which is at least DIII, although still a ways away.

Monmouth College has kids from the Quad Cities, Astoria, Roseville, and Blandinsville on their team. Illinois College has kids from Jacksonville, Springfield....actually only two of their players aren't from IL. You can't tell me that they wouldn't bring at least a few more fans/friends/family to games than Oak Hills. I'm sure there's plenty about scheduling that I don't know, but it seems like getting local teams for those games would be a no-brainer.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 am
Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 am Oak hill is a joke. This game is just a stat booster for coach Wright. Never understood why they couldn't at least play a good d3 team. Why all of these small naia /Christians league?
Yeah, I don't get it. I mean, I understand occasionally playing a team that you know you're likely to beat, so you have a tune-up and stuff, but why wouldn't you try to get someone a bit more local than a team from Bemidji (far North), MN. You're not going to get anybody coming down from Bemidji to watch the game, so attendance is going to be bad. Between DII and DIII there's plenty of schools within a few hours of us that we could find a way to play.
DII we've got Truman State, Quincy, UI-Springfield, McKendree, Lindenwood, UM-St. Louis, Maryville.
DIII you've got Monmouth College, Knox College, Augustana, Blackburn, Illinois College, MacMurray, Iowa Wesleyan, Fontbonne, Washington, and Webster Universities (those last three all in St. Louis).
NAIA DI includes schools like Culver-Stockton and Hannibal-La Grange
I'd think any of those schools would be at least a little bit tougher competition and would draw at least a couple more fans from their respective schools to Western Hall than Oak Hills or Calvary University (Kansas City)...neither of which are NCAA or NAIA. We also played St. Mary's (MN) which is at least DIII, although still a ways away.

Monmouth College has kids from the Quad Cities, Astoria, Roseville, and Blandinsville on their team. Illinois College has kids from Jacksonville, Springfield....actually only two of their players aren't from IL. You can't tell me that they wouldn't bring at least a few more fans/friends/family to games than Oak Hills. I'm sure there's plenty about scheduling that I don't know, but it seems like getting local teams for those games would be a no-brainer.
When your enrollment is about 100 kids, this game is probably a huge payday for them and a chance to play on the big stage. Take a look at the video to see what their "gym" looks like. At this point in the season, the more local D2s and D3s are all busy on Friday and/or Saturday nights.
vatusay

Gotta get that mark in the win column.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

Bill Holstein wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 am Oak Hill is a joke. This game is just a stat booster for coach Wright. Never understood why they couldn't at least play a good d3 team. Why all of these small NAIA / Christian league?
The Women will be playing Eureka on Feb 12. This is probably to replace a schedule-spot that would have been filled by IUPUI.
wiu712

First Row Sports is showing the Omaha game in their list of available games. Game time is 1900 (7PM).
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/sport/basketball.html
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm First Row Sports is showing the Omaha game in their list of available games. Game time is 1900 (7PM).
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/sport/basketball.html
Then why is it not showing up on the WIU All Access site? I think what First Row does is look at the team's schedule and if they see the word "Watch", they assume it is going to be streamed. Click on that link and it takes you nowhere good the way I see it. I hope I am wrong. We should be streaming all conference games IMO.