Time for a change.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu2008 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am I do not know what the answer is but Wright does not seem to be getting it done.

Another Coach Mo isnt coming through Western's door, and I really hope it didnt come down to 20-30k as the reason he departed.

There will be plenty of quality assistants that would not take this job in fear that it would set back their career too far. WIU is in a tough spot right now, and there isnt an easy answer.
I always got the impression that with Coach Mo, it was more about the stress of being a head coach, wanting to relax a little bit at this point in his career, plus he could tell that it was going to be a rough couple of years here. When that situation came together with a job offer and a bit of a pay raise, he took it.

The nice thing about basketball is that it can turn around really quickly. With so few guys on a team and on the court at any specific time, one or two solid players can really turn around a team in a hurry. We went from 7-23 in 2010/11 to 22-9 two years later, in large part because of TP and CC3, plus Coach Mo's stifling defenses. I don't know the individual players, but back in 93/94, Coach Kerwin had us at 7-20, but the next year, we were 20-8. He had gone 15-39 in his first two years, but then we had that 20-win season and a string of 4 more seasons of 16+ wins before our next drop-off. If a coach thinks they can get the guys we have to perform a bit more effectively and is able to recruit a few more decent players, they could really turn things around and be well on-track for bigger-school job offers in a few years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

When you showed up a Coach Mo game, you generally had the feeling that the kids were going to be in the game at least until maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the way thru 2nd half simply because of the style of play (working the clock, getting the best look possible, etc). Both Mo and Billy have pretty much the same defensive philosophy. The big difference is at the offensive end. We got guys tossing up quick 3s left and right (maybe forced to out of frustration), not getting the other players involved. When we are not hitting them, its more possessions of the ball by the opponents resulting in the game pretty much being over by half time against the stronger teams in the conference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

38-73 over four years...a .342 record.

What's the likelihood that Coach Wright gets called into Tanney's office when he gets back from the tournament and told that his services are no longer needed?

Personally, I think it's time to let him go. I'd say the chances of it actually happening...probably 50/50.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIUSuperFan

After seeing this season for Men’s basketball, I hate to say it, but it’s time to fire Billy Wright. The guy can recruit good talent, but he can’t do anything with that talent. He’s had 4 years to do something and I haven’t seen anything but maybe a step or two backwards. I will give credit for close tournament games, but so far I’ve been disappointed. It’s time to find new leadership. It’s time to fire Billy Wright.
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
HoosierNeck13

I agree that Coach Wright needs to be relieved of his duties. That being said, who can we get? A D1 Asst? A successful D2 coach (Matt Marganthaler?)
This is a catch-22 for Western: there is little attendance at games because they're not promoted but there's no incentive to go because the team isn't very good (and we play weaker competition). A new coach is only part of the solution; in order to make things better:
-Drop all non D1 games (I've said for years, I'd rather play fewer games than play lesser competition)
-Try to get more regional games (Bradley, ISU, SIU, NIU, etc.)
-Hire a marketing and promotions person to market the games
-Develop an exciting culture (don't chase people out of the seats when no one is sitting there; I watched the UNC-Duke game last night and if we could have half of that atmosphere, it would be awesome!!)
-Sell beer :)

Please let me know your thoughts.
wiu712

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:51 amHire a marketing and promotions person to market the games.
Marketing & Promotions was definitely a weak area this season. There is a Grad Asst for that area: Cameron Bastian who hosted many of the competitions during time-outs.
letsgonecks

I give him one more year. If he doesn't put together a winning regular and conference season, then he's gone.

Next year he returns the league's top defender, our leading scorer, and a solid talent in Johnson who came on strong later in the season.

Knowing these 3 key pieces are back and some other role players to fill the gaps, you'd think a coach should be able develop a winning game plan for next year.

He made sure to say the future looks bright in his post game, hoping to save his job, well last chance.
leatherneckcountry

letsgonecks wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:19 am I give him one more year. If he doesn't put together a winning regular and conference season, then he's gone.

Next year he returns the league's top defender, our leading scorer, and a solid talent in Johnson who came on strong later in the season.

Knowing these 3 key pieces are back and some other role players to fill the gaps, you'd think a coach should be able develop a winning game plan for next year.

He made sure to say the future looks bright in his post game, hoping to save his job, well last chance.
I would agree had the team been improving as the season had gone on but that just simply didn't happen.
meganeck

I think he deserves another year, now would I be disappointed if he was let go no I wouldn't. He does have a lot of talent coming back and from everything i have read, the Pyles kid is a steal for us. So should be a good chance at a major improvement next year. I've said it before but I don't understand why he brings in these JUCO guys and they are non factors. The only reason to go the JUCO route is if they can come in and make immediate impact. Snyder and Moxey were no factors both years they were here and Gavin has had his moments, but nothing consistent. The other thing and I know you can't use it as a reason not to fire a coach, but I just wonder what kind of candidates we would get to want to come here. Between the money situation and the lack of fan support not a real attractive job imo.
meganeck

meganeck wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm I think he deserves another year, now would I be disappointed if he was let go no I wouldn't. He does have a lot of talent coming back and from everything i have read, the Pyles kid is a steal for us. So should be a good chance at a major improvement next year. I've said it before but I don't understand why he brings in these JUCO guys and they are non factors. The only reason to go the JUCO route is if they can come in and make immediate impact. Snyder and Moxey were no factors both years they were here and Gavin has had his moments, but nothing consistent. The other thing and I know you can't use it as a reason not to fire a coach, but I just wonder what kind of candidates we would get to want to come here. Between the money situation and the lack of fan support not a real attractive job imo.
Another thing, I wonder if Kobe would stick around if Billy was let go.