Time for a change.

wiu2013

meganeck wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm I think he deserves another year, now would I be disappointed if he was let go no I wouldn't. He does have a lot of talent coming back and from everything i have read, the Pyles kid is a steal for us. So should be a good chance at a major improvement next year. I've said it before but I don't understand why he brings in these JUCO guys and they are non factors. The only reason to go the JUCO route is if they can come in and make immediate impact. Snyder and Moxey were no factors both years they were here and Gavin has had his moments, but nothing consistent. The other thing and I know you can't use it as a reason not to fire a coach, but I just wonder what kind of candidates we would get to want to come here. Between the money situation and the lack of fan support not a real attractive job imo.
I agree, if JUCO players are being recruited they need to contribute. I know it is hard to think Coach Mo could be partially responsible, but he is. So many players were dismissed or transferred during Coach Mo's tenure that he left Billy with 7 players in April and close to a NCAA violation for APR. Billy could not release any player without incurring an NCAA violation hence your JUCO players that had to stick around (Snyder did contribute in the classroom) My thoughts... it is like creating/rebuilding a program on your job that was partially broken, then when you finally get it rebuilt with talent that you truly want your boss comes and takes it from you and gives it to someone else. That would suck and so would not giving Billy another year to prove he can win with talent he truly recruited for their abilities not to just fill roster space. As for Kobe and Isaac, there is a new rule possibly coming that players can transfer with no penalty of sitting out a year.
wiu2008

I believe coaches deserve 5 years unless it’s an absolute disaster.

While this has been pretty bad, there is a lot coming back.

Give him 1 more year and if it’s bad, make a change.
leatherneckcountry

The problem with saying we have a lot coming back next year is that pretty much everyone else in the conference have a lot coming back as well.
sealhall74

We got good stuff coming back. The Pyle kid could see some action in his first year. Claar as a redshirt in his junior year is an interesting move. I think that falls into the same category as JUCOs. You just dont go there UNLESS they are going to be real difference makers early and often. I hope all of this means a shift away from the 4 guard lineup to a more conventional arrangement.

Last, no off the NCAA radar opponents on the schedule. They dont make you better and might make you worse when all is said and done. Gilbeck already has the 2-hand uncontested slam down pat. Next.

Update: I maybe confused some readers. For me, next does not mean next coach up although I could go either way on it. What it does mean is take the next step in the logical progression to get more competitive.
Embrace the pace of the race.
LeatherCy

Not sure who would be interested in the job. Probably a young assistant as a mid major or possibly higher level. With enrollment on campus dropping 8,000 we don't have a lot of incentives or attractions for a coach to be interested in the job.
HoosierNeck13

Rick Pitino has said he is open to coaching at any level...peiople would be talking about Western Basketball again.
OldHare

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 pm Rick Pitino has said he is open to coaching at any level...peiople would be talking about Western Basketball again.
The Leathernecks would go from searching and signing JUCOs to one and done guys. :lol:
HoosierNeck13

If you want to be a big time program, hire a big time coach. The Molinari hire put us back on the map and this would be even bigger. Is it worth the risk?
sealhall74

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pm If you want to be a big time program, hire a big time coach. The Molinari hire put us back on the map and this would be even bigger. Is it worth the risk?
Lefty D put JMU on the map after the Maryland/Len Bias tragedy. It is probably worth a phone call.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm
HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pm If you want to be a big time program, hire a big time coach. The Molinari hire put us back on the map and this would be even bigger. Is it worth the risk?
Lefty D put JMU on the map after the Maryland/Len Bias tragedy. It is probably worth a phone call.
Why not just hire coach K probably a better chance.