vs Fort Wayne, vs South Dakota State

sealhall74

Well, I watched us get taken to the woodshed twice by the Jacks today. Basketball is a religion in South Dakota and it shows.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2013

Not shocking that we win and it is silent on here Wednesday. We lose (yes badly) and all the haters are back. South Dakota State is good! Look at the points of victory thus far in conference.
leatherneckcountry

The officials didn't decide that game how ever I hope Billy sends the tape in that one guys was by far the worst and most unprofessional that I've seen in my years around the game SDSU is a Damn good team and there a terrible match up for us we don't defend the 3 very well and they will bury you out there I did think Johnson did a great job on defense.
wiu712

South Dakota State won the game 98-70.

Isaac Johnson led the Western scoring with 19 points. Kobe Webster had 17. C.J. Duff had 16.

Western was 7 for 15 on three-point attempts while South Dakota State was 14 for 28.

Western did not have any free throw attempts in the first half.

Attendance at Western Hall = 841.

You have to wonder "Where did the all of the fans go??" Five years ago (Jan 17, 2013), there were 4,163 for the home game vs South Dakota State. That was the largest crowd at Western Hall since the November 26, 2005 home game with Indiana when 5,021 fans filled Western Hall.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leatherneckcountry

I love how the cheerleaders wait until were down 30 with 5 minutes left in the game to actually do any cheering.
sealhall74

Our pack line D got picked apart by a very well-coached team last night. IMO, this defense is way too complicated for our kids. With the right people in place, it can be very effective. However, look at the teams that are using it. They milk the clock when they have the ball, just like Mo did. From where I sit, this is the only way you can win with it. Good ball handlers like Jenkins Jr from SDSU will eat it up, especially when you have some good perimeter shooters to dish off to. I cringe every time I see Gilbeck or some other big rush out from the paint to the 3 point line to provide rotational coverage. Last night, they just parked Daum at the high post near the 3 point line, Gilbeck came out to guard him leaving the paint wide open. Against a good team like SDSU, you have to confuse them with a variety of defensive looks and hope you force a few extra turnovers and you can convert on those to keep you in the ball game.

We have some serious work to do to stay out of the Summit League cellar this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 am Our pack line D got picked apart by a very well-coached team last night. IMO, this defense is way too complicated for our kids. With the right people in place, it can be very effective. However, look at the teams that are using it. They milk the clock when they have the ball, just like Mo did. From where I sit, this is the only way you can win with it. Good ball handlers like Jenkins Jr from SDSU will eat it up, especially when you have some good perimeter shooters to dish off to. I cringe every time I see Gilbeck or some other big rush out from the paint to the 3 point line to provide rotational coverage. Last night, they just parked Daum at the high post near the 3 point line, Gilbeck came out to guard him leaving the paint wide open. Against a good team like SDSU, you have to confuse them with a variety of defensive looks and hope you force a few extra turnovers and you can convert on those to keep you in the ball game.

We have some serious work to do to stay out of the Summit League cellar this year.
Agree totally, you gotta get some deflections, confuse them so they don't know if its man or zone and make bad passes.. get some points off turnovers, and throw their timing off..
SDSU is better than us but not by the margin they beat us by.. There's getting beat and then there's getting embarrassed.
wiu2017

SDSU scores
Looks like we are about the same as Denver or North Dakota if you go by point spead as an indicator .
Yes they are very good, they took Colorado to 2OT, impressive, Thats why you have to change things up to beat them. You cant expect to just be predictable and plat them strait up, talent for talent. Thats all we are sayin

12/12/2017 North Dakota Brookings, S.D. W 99-63 Box Score
12/15/2017 Colorado Boulder, Colo. L 103-112 (2OT)
12/19/2017 Drake Brookings, S.D. W 87-74 Box Score
12/22/2017 UMKC Kansas City, Mo. W 85-60 Box Score

1/3/2018 * North Dakota State Fargo, N.D. W 87-80 Box Score
1/6/2018 * Omaha Omaha, Neb. W 101-88 Box Score
1/11/2018 * Oral Roberts Brookings, S.D. W 78-75 Box Score
1/13/2018 * Denver - Brookings, S.D. W 94-72 Box Score
1/20/2018 * Western Illinois Macomb, Ill. W 98-70 Box Score