at Denver (Mile High City), at Fargo (No Nickname)

wiu2013

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 am 48 shot's and 38 from 3 guys are bigs combine for 5 shots that's ridiculous did Dalan get hurt he only played 3 minutes.
In postgame interview, Billy said Dalan "had a bad week of practice". Not bad enough to deny the start but apparently his bad week carried over into the game and he was yanked. Reminds me of Usiosefe who could barely jump off the floor but he too was good enough to start. On the plus side, Johnson is looking pretty good and I see Billy going mostly young from here on. Billy still has that ongoing chemistry experiment. Our bigs are not scorers. You have to find the right mix of defensive presence and scoring threat to keep you in the game until the final 5 minutes when anything can happen. Did not go our way in this one. Except for the two teams from South Dakota, the results could be different in those games. Summit is not that strong this year.
Unfortunately, I think Dalan and Jeremiah needed to start because looking at the bench there are not a lot of options to put in their place. I agree that Johnson has looked a lot better the last 2 games. I think the game is starting to slow down for him and he is making better decisions. I also agree that our bigs are not scorers. Outside of Brandon (who needs to be around the basket to score) I believe the other big bodies are here just for that (be big bodies and rebound). If you can get points from them that is a bonus. I believe the new recruit is a big body and possible a scorer. Kobe's point total is deceptive. He was really off last night with the free-throws, turnovers, and assists.
wiu2017

If Dalan doesnt score we lose.. Do you think we would have beat EIU, and Edwardsville if Dalan had not caught fire in the last 5 minutes.. Dalan didnt score against SDSU and we got destroyed. Jouhnson and Usiosefe are are ok , but they cant do what Dalan can do.
They dont even run the offense for Dalan and he still puts up numbers.
Only problem with Dalan is he gets stripped too many times. This could be helped by running ball screens and getting him room to attack..
Dalan should be crashing for put back dunks, but Wright doesn't believe in that.. Kobe should be allowed to throw back door Ali oops to Dalan also.. but it seems Wright doesn't believe in that either.
Denver was trying to give us that game and we still lost.. Sadly I wasn't surprised..
Go ahead call me a hater, I think everyone is pretty nice on this forum, and give Wright respect.. Just look at comments on forums for winning teams. They give coaches no slack..
We just want these kids and WIU to have fighting chance.
With that said, hopefully coach Wright is trying to wake Dalan and Kobe up by benching them, something he should have done with Covington. Hope it works, then Ill give him props. But, if he thinks we will win with Johnson shooting most the shots. Good luck..
We played team ball until Kobe was declared a star, now we are back to how it was with Covington. Everybody stand around and watch Kobe..
leatherneckcountry

Man don't breathe guys there calling every freaking thing.
sealhall74

I was at the VCU-Mason game so I dont know too much. The stat that jumps out is Gilbeck taking only 3 shots in 32 minutes. He made 2 of them. For the year, he is shooting .671 from the field. Somehow, someway, he needs to get more looks. Hell, do a Daum and fire it up from beyond the arc now and then just to loosen up the defense a bit. Looks like Dalan is back to being Dalan. He has to score double figures and not have too many fumbles for us to have a chance IMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2013

They were packing the lanes quite a bit, so at times it was hard to feed the post. When Brandon did get the ball there were several defenders immediately around him. He made some difficult shots today. There were also times I feel the feed was definitely missed. I feel like their goal was to make us beat them from the outside because the lane always seemed crowded even when driving the ball.
Dalan had a rough beginning with his shot off and quick fouls, but picked it up in the second half. He played pretty good defense in the second half, but fouls that were called on him he definitely was not getting on the other end.
wiu712

North Dakota State won the game 80-69. Western did have a 12 point lead in the first half.

Kobe Webster led the Western scoring with 24 points. Dalan Ancrum had 15.

Attendance at North Dakota State = 3,187.