at Omaha

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

With 5 games left in the regular season, the men are currently:
11-11 overall
7-11 against DI teams
2-7 in the Summit League

Kinda a slow week, with just one game on Thursday and the weekend off.

Omaha Mavericks

Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 7 PM
Omaha is 7-17 overall with a 2-6 conference record currently. Their last matchup with Western was on January 11th in Macomb, where the Mavs won 87-66: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2018/1/1 ... omaha.aspx
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Here is the best thing to happen inside Baxter Arena during the past 3+ months.

[youtube][/youtube]

Maybe we can carry over our win against ORU and put on a good show there.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Necks fall 71-68. Close game throughout but not to be on this night.
wiu712

Kobe Webster led the Western scoring with 20 points. Dalan Ancrum had 15. C.J. Duff had 14.

Attendance at Omaha = 2,255.
sealhall74

My plane gets in to Sioux Falls for tournament on Saturday, Mar 3 at 7:38pm, just about the time that #1-#8 first round game gets over. Come on guys, if you want any cheer from this dude, you're going to have to do better than that 8 seed.
sealhall74

Took a peek at the standings and stats today. The SD teams are separating themselves from the rest of the pack for one major reason. They play an aggressive physical game of basketball. They get to the charity stripe a ton. Everyone else in the league is playing "softball".
wiu2013

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 am Took a peek at the standings and stats today. The SD teams are separating themselves from the rest of the pack for one major reason. They play an aggressive physical game of basketball. They get to the charity stripe a ton. Everyone else in the league is playing "softball".
OR could it be a conspiracy theory in the Summit League?
When other teams play the SD teams a significant number of whistles are being blown in their favor (Gilbeck plays 13 min due to foul trouble vs SD - even on his "dumb" foul days he makes it longer than 13 minutes. May I also point out that SD lost the game before. No, way can an SD team lose 2 in a row!). When other teams play each other and the SD teams play each other there is a somewhat "fair" whistle.
* Disclaimer: I am not excusing the fact that we got blown out by SD, because we definitely contributed to that loss, but I have watched my fair share of games by the SD teams this year and I easily walk away confused at how a foul can be called on one end of the court but not the other.
OldHare

I can splash a few drops of water on the conspiracy theory for the referees. I looked at the Leathernecks personal foul numbers for the year. During the OOC portion WIU had 3.5 fewer fouls than their opponents while going 9-4. The win early over Eastern Illinois is the only WIU winning game where the opponent had 1 less foul rather more fouls than the winning team. The 4 losses were all more fouls on the Leathernecks than the opponent who won. The conference season has placed 1.2 more fouls per game on the Leathernecks than their opponent. There is the one win over Ft Wayne that WIU had one more foul and the one loss to SDSU that had one less foul on WIU. The remaining 1-7 record follows the losing team having more fouls called. Please do not believe that I think the refs are without bias or making an error at times, but often times when replay is available to examine we find the refs do a fair job on the floor. Also, I do not think crowds are without influence in close games teams and refs. Meanwhile the foul disparity likely is not part of a conspiracy as it is the team that is behind needs to play more aggressively and take more chances.
sealhall74

On average in conference games, USD and SDSU have 2 and 3 fewer (respectively) fouls than their opponents.
The SD schools both averaging about 21 FT Attempts/G in conference play. Fort Wayne is next highest with 18 and WIU down around 15.
Looking at conference play, both USD (174-230) and SDSU (195-242) have MADE more FTs than WIU (103-148) has ATTEMPTED by a fairly large margin (note WIU has played one less game).
I suspect, although I don't have a shot chart or other stats to prove it, the SD teams have a good percentage of those FTs resulting from fouls in the act of shooting AND inside the paint.
Common sense says that if you are not willing to be strong in the paint and instead settle for those 3pt shots, don't expect to get to the line very much.
Why does EmClem get to the line so much? Attack, attack, attack.
Fact: We are ranked 342 of 351 teams in FT Attempts. Nothing new this year - a recurring theme.
91jack

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am On average in conference games, USD and SDSU have 2 and 3 fewer (respectively) fouls than their opponents.
The SD schools both averaging about 21 FT Attempts/G in conference play. Fort Wayne is next highest with 18 and WIU down around 15.
Looking at conference play, both USD (174-230) and SDSU (195-242) have MADE more FTs than WIU (103-148) has ATTEMPTED by a fairly large margin (note WIU has played one less game).
I suspect, although I don't have a shot chart or other stats to prove it, the SD teams have a good percentage of those FTs resulting from fouls in the act of shooting AND inside the paint.
Common sense says that if you are not willing to be strong in the paint and instead settle for those 3pt shots, don't expect to get to the line very much.
Why does EmClem get to the line so much? Attack, attack, attack.
Fact: We are ranked 342 of 351 teams in FT Attempts. Nothing new this year - a recurring theme.
I do think that SDSU might get a call or two but I don't think it's as bad an people make it out to be. They do a fair amount of attacking the basket that leads to some of that.

I do think something else factors into amount of FTs attempted in a game- game situation.
SDSU has been ahead in most of their conference games and what do teams that are behind do at the end of games? Foul!
Denver had 29 fouls in their game against SDSU but 9 of those fouls came in the last 2:31 of the game. If Denver would have kept that pace up for the whole game, they would of had around 140 fouls in the game.
ORU had 21 fouls in the game but 3 came in the last 1:09.
ORU's other game they made a foul with 0:07 left in the game.
IPFW had 13 fouls in the game but 2 fouls came in the last 0:21.
NDSU had 24 fouls in their game but 5 of them came in the last 3:52.

Mike Daum plays like EmClem in that he attacks the basket a ton. He about 30% of SDSU's FTs. Between Daum and Jenkins Jr. they shoot about 47% of SDSU's FTs. Of course, they shoot about 47% of SDSU's FG's, too.