2018 Summit League Tournament

wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 amI am not 100% sure because I was up a little high, but it looked to me like there were about 10 students dressed in purple who I think were part of band or dance team that watched the game amongst the Coyote students last night. Looked like they were enjoying the festivities, put a high five on the Coyote band director, jumped around a lot, etc.
It looked like South Dakota State had a HUGE band at the game. They must have brought their entire marching band. Those Western band members should have sat-in with the USD band to even things up. :D
meganeck

Anyone see Gilbeck's tweet this morning, he quoted a Summit League tweet about the attendance at the championship game and made a comment about things being rigged. I noticed its not up on his timeline anymore, so I assume one of the coaches or someone in athletics told him to delete it. Not a very smart thing to tweet.
OldHare

meganeck wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 pm Anyone see Gilbeck's tweet this morning, he quoted a Summit League tweet about the attendance at the championship game and made a comment about things being rigged. I noticed its not up on his timeline anymore, so I assume one of the coaches or someone in athletics told him to delete it. Not a very smart thing to tweet.
It is emotional times during the tournament. If you consider all the bantering from the fans, the players are even more involved. Mooney had a charge called during play in the championship game that ended with him showing some frustration which included some extracurricular bouncing off the ball which he quickly contained and the refs gave him a little space which may have resulted in a technical in many situations. Gilbeck needs a coach to help him play his style without garnering the silly fouls which result in bench time or the disqualification. I looked and noticed he had 8 of 28 games with an early exit. He is the best asset for the Leathernecks this year and likely next if he can stay away from silly fouls. There are few players that stop him from his shot inside of 8'..
leatherneckcountry

OldHare wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm
meganeck wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 pm Anyone see Gilbeck's tweet this morning, he quoted a Summit League tweet about the attendance at the championship game and made a comment about things being rigged. I noticed its not up on his timeline anymore, so I assume one of the coaches or someone in athletics told him to delete it. Not a very smart thing to tweet.
It is emotional times during the tournament. If you consider all the bantering from the fans, the players are even more involved. Mooney had a charge called during play in the championship game that ended with him showing some frustration which included some extracurricular bouncing off the ball which he quickly contained and the refs gave him a little space which may have resulted in a technical in many situations. Gilbeck needs a coach to help him play his style without garnering the silly fouls which result in bench time or the disqualification. I looked and noticed he had 8 of 28 games with an early exit. He is the best asset for the Leathernecks this year and likely next if he can stay away from silly fouls. There are few players that stop him from his shot inside of 8'..
It would start with our guards not getting blown by all the time he almost never fouls his guy the guy he coming over to help on. Some of that may improve next year as Dalan is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. One of my biggest frustration is how many times he gets held without anything being called in the NDSU game it happened 3 possessions in a row then Miller drives and completely jumps into him and they call a foul Brian Anslinger watched him get held every time and then he calls the foul on Brandon.
sealhall74

So the fix to the system is to sweep any semblance of the truth completely under the rug? I don't know what Gilbeck's exact wording was, but the ticket system is definitely unfairly rigged for those who are "in the know". When you can purchase a guaranteed seat for ALL games happening months or even years down the road, that is definitely a rigged system. There is also that very exclusive "Cambria Club" of seats at midcourt on one side of the lower bowl. Those are treated like suites for the low end of the high rollers. Why should not BOTH competing teams in a championship game have access to some of those good seats? I said earlier that I would like to see a busload or two of people from Macomb head up to Sioux Falls. If all schools did that, it would go a long way to exposing the problem and EVENTUALLY unrigging the system. However, the ADs know the situation up there. If they did such a thing and those two busloads of fans were all stuck up in the rafters of the arena for the championship game, the AD would lose his/her job in short order or at least be wiping a whole lot of egg off their face. Hence, they wisely dont even bother to promote tournament tickets or trips for their fanbases. This is all fixable, but you have to do away with a bunch of the guaranteed all-session seats in the lower bowl. Douple does not have the balls to make that happen, you can take that to the "Premier" bank.
Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

Cambria area is the seating that is licensed in the arena for all events. Those people bought those seats prior to construction and pay an annual fee. I am not sure how common that is for other facilities, but I do know a fellow who did the same type of thing for the US Bank stadium in Minneapolis. All events have amenities tied to those seats. It would take a visit to the internet and search to locate the owners and availability per event. Those are not likely available at the box office. The other tickets that get bought were available last year prior to the tournament when 2018 and/or 2019 were placed on sale. If you read the The Summit League website, that information was available. It also requires full payment for those tickets when ordered. The Cambria area is likely a better avenue for those who want tickets for individual games or sellers by gates before the games. Each school also has tickets available for individual games which many have been returned in prior years. Those tickets may require contacting the athletic department from individual schools. It has been a difficult process for people that would like to buy individual games on a shorter notice. The Summit League and event center do treat this like a business where they get as much money and commitment early as possible. It is similar to the current ticket sales needing to be done for football this month. Do I really need to have that money in now 6 months before the season? I almost need to have a provision in my will for prepaid tickets.
sealhall74

OldHare wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am Cambria area is the seating that is licensed in the arena for all events. Those people bought those seats prior to construction and pay an annual fee. I am not sure how common that is for other facilities, but I do know a fellow who did the same type of thing for the US Bank stadium in Minneapolis. All events have amenities tied to those seats. It would take a visit to the internet and search to locate the owners and availability per event. Those are not likely available at the box office. The other tickets that get bought were available last year prior to the tournament when 2018 and/or 2019 were placed on sale. If you read the The Summit League website, that information was available. It also requires full payment for those tickets when ordered. The Cambria area is likely a better avenue for those who want tickets for individual games or sellers by gates before the games. Each school also has tickets available for individual games which many have been returned in prior years. Those tickets may require contacting the athletic department from individual schools. It has been a difficult process for people that would like to buy individual games on a shorter notice. The Summit League and event center do treat this like a business where they get as much money and commitment early as possible. It is similar to the current ticket sales needing to be done for football this month. Do I really need to have that money in now 6 months before the season? I almost need to have a provision in my will for prepaid tickets.
Being a techie, I do think there is a solution. During the early buy and pre-pay period, Instead of buying a seat, you buy a virtual ticket which guarantees you a seat somewhere in the arena. At the same time, you also register your allegiance to a particular team. When that team plays during a session, your virtual seat is upgraded to the optimal viewing location (probably somewhere behind the team bench expanding as necessary). When your team does not play in a session, you get down-graded to the less than optimal viewing seat so that the competing teams fan have the better viewing seats. The idea is to keep all fans from a particular school together, assuming their is reasonable size draw from all schools. That is definitely not the case now but would this new ticket arrangement increase interest. I think it would over time if it was promoted. This is probably how the CAA managed to get those "Sea of X" colors into the arena in Richmond.
Embrace the pace of the race.
91jack

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 am So last nights game between NDSU and SDSU Featured Kelly Pfeifer who is from Mitchell SD and Rob Kueneman who is a NDSU grad Hmmmmm wonder why the officiating in the summit is so awful.
I'm not going to say that Kelly Pfeifer is a great official but some people must think he does a good job. They had him officiate the Big 10 semifinal between Purdue and Penn State two days before he was officiating in Sioux Falls at the Summit League Tournament. He also officiated a "first four" game a couple of years ago.

I can understand Eilbeck being upset after they lost. Players put in a lot of time and energy so it is disappointing when they lose. He did play 30 minutes so it's not like he fouled out in less than a half. He really has a nice touch on his little hook shot. If you are that height and have that shot it is tough to defend.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 amI am hoping that one of these years, the AD can put together a fan bus or two to bring some Macombites up to the event.
Western Athletics did do a fan bus for students one year. It must have been the last year that that the games were in the old Sioux Falls Arena.