vs SIU-Edwardsville

wiu712

Western wins 83-58.

SIU-E shot a season-low 30.3% from the field.

Kobe Webster led the Western scoring with 22 points. Isaac Johnson had 20. Brandon Gilbeck and C.J. Duff each had 10.

Brandon Gilbeck had 6 blocks.

Attendance at Western Hall = 441.

Next game will be at Southeast Missouri State on Saturday (Dec. 1). Game time is 6:30 PM.
Neckfansince71

So the Necks have an absolute blow-out and hardly anybody is taking or making note. I messaged one of my Macomb friends this AM. and said, "Wow, I really think this team is good!" The reply was, "well they always start out really well and then they get to conference and .......!" I realize that we have really played some patsies in the past from the NAIA or the National Christian Athletic Conference etc. but this year we have had just a few of those types to begin the season, and then we have had a steady diet of OVC schools along with a young Creighton and a heavy lifting Nebraska. The loss in OT to EIU was on the road and I guess we shall just see how good EIU is in that same situation. Tenn-Martin was a win we let slip away again on the road. But the Neck's are getting better and better and if they play consistently like they did last night we are going to be a lot better than last in the league folks! ;) jc
sealhall74

NFS71, I did not get to watch it - I was suffering from the "9pm is the new Midnight" syndrome, especially troublesome after a long holiday trip to Orlando. If we can keep the big kid on the court and get him minimum 10-12 pts a night along with shoot 50+% from the field like we did last night, we will be in every game going forward. IF ...

I will get a chance to see them play in person down in DeLand, FL next week.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm So the Necks have an absolute blow-out and hardly anybody is taking or making note. I messaged one of my Macomb friends this AM. and said, "Wow, I really think this team is good!" The reply was, "well they always start out really well and then they get to conference and .......!" I realize that we have really played some patsies in the past from the NAIA or the National Christian Athletic Conference etc. but this year we have had just a few of those types to begin the season, and then we have had a steady diet of OVC schools along with a young Creighton and a heavy lifting Nebraska. The loss in OT to EIU was on the road and I guess we shall just see how good EIU is in that same situation. Tenn-Martin was a win we let slip away again on the road. But the Neck's are getting better and better and if they play consistently like they did last night we are going to be a lot better than last in the league folks! ;) jc
It's baffling what with the one D-I win.
leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm So the Necks have an absolute blow-out and hardly anybody is taking or making note. I messaged one of my Macomb friends this AM. and said, "Wow, I really think this team is good!" The reply was, "well they always start out really well and then they get to conference and .......!" I realize that we have really played some patsies in the past from the NAIA or the National Christian Athletic Conference etc. but this year we have had just a few of those types to begin the season, and then we have had a steady diet of OVC schools along with a young Creighton and a heavy lifting Nebraska. The loss in OT to EIU was on the road and I guess we shall just see how good EIU is in that same situation. Tenn-Martin was a win we let slip away again on the road. But the Neck's are getting better and better and if they play consistently like they did last night we are going to be a lot better than last in the league folks! ;) jc
That EIU loss is bad no matter how you look at it they lost by more than 40 at home to PFW. That being said I think outside of the 2 South Dakota schools the conference is wide open we have the talent but do we have the couching and can we keep Gilbeck on the floor
wiu712

Western shows confidence in blowout win.
From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... lowout-win
sealhall74

It's a small world. WIU played SIU-E from just down the road a bit. Jack Margenthaler coached at both WIU and SIU-E. Ty Margenthaler , son of Jack, played for the Macomb Bombers and his Dad at SIU-E. Ty's son Brice is now playing for Carl Sandburg JC just up the road a bit.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am It's a small world. WIU played SIU-E from just down the road a bit. Jack Margenthaler coached at both WIU and SIU-E. Ty Margenthaler , son of Jack, played for the Macomb Bombers and his Dad at SIU-E. Ty's son Brice is now playing for Carl Sandburg JC just up the road a bit.
And Ty is an Associate HC of the women's basketball team just across the river at SLU: http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle ... =211038997

Looks like I missed knowing him in HS by just a few years probably. His bio says he graduated SIU-E in 1997, and his listing on SIU-E's basketball page says his first year was '92: https://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-ba ... y?view=bio
If he started as a freshman (which, I don't know if he did or not), then he graduated MHS in '92, 4 years before I did. Might be another year or two in there though if he didn't start his first season in college though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 am
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:17 am It's a small world. WIU played SIU-E from just down the road a bit. Jack Margenthaler coached at both WIU and SIU-E. Ty Margenthaler , son of Jack, played for the Macomb Bombers and his Dad at SIU-E. Ty's son Brice is now playing for Carl Sandburg JC just up the road a bit.
And Ty is an Associate HC of the women's basketball team just across the river at SLU: http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle ... =211038997

Looks like I missed knowing him in HS by just a few years probably. His bio says he graduated SIU-E in 1997, and his listing on SIU-E's basketball page says his first year was '92: https://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-ba ... y?view=bio
If he started as a freshman (which, I don't know if he did or not), then he graduated MHS in '92, 4 years before I did. Might be another year or two in there though if he didn't start his first season in college though.
When I was on my 2nd stint at WIU in late 70s, early 80s, I started out in the teacher education program. We would go around to various schools in the area and observe what was happening in the classrooms. Ty's brother Matt was probably in 5th or 6th grade then. His class became our "homeroom" for observational purposes. We had a group project in the semester where we had to write a detailed analysis of a particular student in the classroom. My group did not get Matt but one his classmates who am I sure has went on to great things in life. Don't remember the girl's name offhand but we had to pretty much follow her around even in extra-curricular actvities. I was assigned the task of covering her for an evening musical concert at the high school. I thought I took good notes and everything. I get back to meet with the group and told everyone what instrument was she played One lady in my group was the wife of the band director at Macomb HS I believe. I told her what I thought the instrument was. She'd never heard of it. She asked her husband and that was a new instrument to him as well. I guess my notes were not that good. Needless to say, I did not end up in the teacher career field either. :lol:
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 am

When I was on my 2nd stint at WIU in late 70s, early 80s, I started out in the teacher education program. We would go around to various schools in the area and observe what was happening in the classrooms. Ty's brother Matt was probably in 5th or 6th grade then. His class became our "homeroom" for observational purposes. We had a group project in the semester where we had to write a detailed analysis of a particular student in the classroom. My group did not get Matt but one his classmates who am I sure has went on to great things in life. Don't remember the girl's name offhand but we had to pretty much follow her around even in extra-curricular actvities. I was assigned the task of covering her for an evening musical concert at the high school. I thought I took good notes and everything. I get back to meet with the group and told everyone what instrument was she played One lady in my group was the wife of the band director at Macomb HS I believe. I told her what I thought the instrument was. She'd never heard of it. She asked her husband and that was a new instrument to him as well. I guess my notes were not that good. Needless to say, I did not end up in the teacher career field either. :lol:
Update: IIRC, that instrument named some kind of "____phone". That narrows the memory search significantly. While I am wasting time before going to the gym, I need a survey. Who out there had college course textbooks in their house long after they graduated? Is there anyone like me who kept every book in the major field until they retired? Then ripped the pages out of the hardbound books to recycle them? Those Calculus books are damn thick. I took a while. I kid you not.

Update2: For some strange reason,. Metallophone rings a bell right now. Sure enough, it appears to be a real instrument.

Update3: I was able to recall the name of our group "subject" after looking at a list of 1986 MHS Graduates. She is now a school psychologist working in the Knox and Warren County area. Funny how it all comes back after nearly 40 years of not giving it any thought at all.