vs South Dakota State

wiu712

Friday, December 28, at Western Hall. Game time is 4:30 PM.

Ugly Sweater Night: Wear your favorite Ugly Sweater to the game for a chance to win a prize!

From WGEM Sports:
A Hardwood Holiday: WIU Men Working Hard On Holiday With Conference Slate Looming.
https://wgem.com/2018/12/25/a-hardwood- ... e-looming/

Western Illinois Leathernecks Ready To Start Preps For Conference Opener On Friday In Macomb.
https://wgem.com/2018/12/25/western-ill ... in-macomb/

From the McDonough County Voice:
Western men back on campus, ready for league play.
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... eague-play
OldHare

As usual...wiu712, thanks for the links in Macomb.
wiu712

sealhall74

So is this a real double-header (i.e. one ticket, see two games) or do they clear the building after the first one? I like having to face the supposedly best team in the league in the opener. That way, you know very early in the season where you stand and what you need to work on. Will be interesting to see what we do with Daum. Two choices are 1) let him do his thing and lock down on everyone else or 2) double up on him. He could easily score 40+ if he is on and we put him on the charity stripe a lot. In a game like that, everyone else might be standing around watching not getting involved in the flow. Big scoring game by stud does not necessarily equate to a W. Case in point in the not too far distant past: Ben Woodside from NDSU knocked down 60 points back in 2008 in an overtime loss to SF Austin.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 amSo is this a real double-header (i.e. one ticket, see two games) or do they clear the building after the first one?
This is the first of 5 home double-headers at Western Hall. Sunday's games vs Denver will be another double-header. The Women will start the Sunday double-header at 2PM with the Men's game to follow.

One ticket is good for both games.
Last edited by wiu712 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 am So is this a real double-header (i.e. one ticket, see two games) or do they clear the building after the first one? I like having to face the supposedly best team in the league in the opener. That way, you know very early in the season where you stand and what you need to work on. Will be interesting to see what we do with Daum. Two choices are 1) let him do his thing and lock down on everyone else or 2) double up on him. He could easily score 40+ if he is on and we put him on the charity stripe a lot. In a game like that, everyone else might be standing around watching not getting involved in the flow. Big scoring game by stud does not necessarily equate to a W. Case in point in the not too far distant past: Ben Woodside from NDSU knocked down 60 points back in 2008 in an overtime loss to SF Austin.
I'm presuming it will be like past years. Your Men's game ticket is good for general admission to the Women's game.
meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 am So is this a real double-header (i.e. one ticket, see two games) or do they clear the building after the first one? I like having to face the supposedly best team in the league in the opener. That way, you know very early in the season where you stand and what you need to work on. Will be interesting to see what we do with Daum. Two choices are 1) let him do his thing and lock down on everyone else or 2) double up on him. He could easily score 40+ if he is on and we put him on the charity stripe a lot. In a game like that, everyone else might be standing around watching not getting involved in the flow. Big scoring game by stud does not necessarily equate to a W. Case in point in the not too far distant past: Ben Woodside from NDSU knocked down 60 points back in 2008 in an overtime loss to SF Austin.
I assume they will probably put Usiosefe on Daum? Is there a reason the men are playing first, is that a Summit decision or WIU? It seems every year the Summit League schedules league games differently.
wiu712

meganeck wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pmIs there a reason the men are playing first, is that a Summit decision or WIU? It seems every year the Summit League schedules league games differently.
Last year the Summit League had a "mirrored schedule". For example: if the Men were playing South Dakota State here, the Women would be playing South Dakota State there on the same day.

But the Saturday double-headers have made a return this season.

For Sunday's double-header with Denver, the Women will be playing first.

For the January 19 double-header with Purdue-Fort Wayne, the the Women will be playing first.

For the February 16 double-header with South Dakota, the Men will be playing first.

For the February 23 double-header with Oral Roberts, the Women will be playing first.
meganeck

Looks like SDSU has a Big 3 and not much offensively after that. Hopefully both games get good crowds, it will be a tough match-up for both teams.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pmIs there a reason the men are playing first, is that a Summit decision or WIU? It seems every year the Summit League schedules league games differently.
I think a big reason for that is because of the changes to conference teams over the last few years.
Southern Utah and Oral Roberts left in 2012
Omaha joined in 2012
UMKC and Oakland left in 2013
Denver joined in 2013
Oral Roberts came back in 2014
No changes in 2015 or 2016, but then...
IUPUI left in 2017
North Dakota joined in 2018

So they've had the chance to change up scheduling arrangements as teams have left and joined. Even if it's the same number of teams (like from last year to this year...lose IUPUI, add UND), the changes let them do different things in terms of where teams are and when. Hopefully they realized that last year's schedule didn't work well for a lot of schools and switched to the current schedule (which I personally like...I think it'll improve attendance for both men and women and possibly save a bit in travel costs).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000