North Dakota State

wiu2013

WIU continues to get sh**t on by the Summit League and officials. Until someone in the athletic department stands up and fights for scheduling and officiating it will continue to be the same thing.
There is supposed to be someone at the games to keep records officiating notes, and clips can be sent in to be reviewed of officiating.

How can WIU convert when they are being slapped, pushed, hacked trying to score the basket. True indication that the refs were dead wrong tonight, Coach Wright walked clear out on the floor to say something to the ref and no technical was called. The boys should not have to fight against the opposing team and the refs every game.

I am not giving up on these boys yet. They played back-to-back games and put up a good fight while NDSU came in with fresh legs from not playing all week. If they can get out of their own heads when they make mistakes, and stop getting down on themselves they can play with anyone.
sealhall74

These were two games that should have gone our way but I will be the last person on earth to blame officials and the Summit League for the outcome. I would rather point blame to the environment. I did what I usually do by watching the video feed with muted sound and listening to the radio feed. Friday afternoon's game, I was hearing more noise from the UND crowd come through my computer speakers. Yea I know, they had a coach and a player or two who drew some interest from just up the road but still, that is just plain embarrassing. Our kids deserve much better. When these games come down to the wire, a noisy and on their feet crowd can make a big difference in the outcome. I did not see a single soul other than the Pep Band on their feet in the waning moments of either game. Maybe there were some but the camera just did not pick them up I dont know. Was the Pep Band even there for the Friday early game? Jesus, if there is some OSHA rule that they can only blow their horns so many hours per day, then why not divide it up by playing just the 2nd halves of both games. I have said it before and I will say it again. Ancient Western Hall SHOULD be a huge home court advantage for us because the crowd is so close to the action. Instead, we have people getting comfy and cozy in those new seats and forgetting that they need to get out of them when it matters. Well, that is all the rant I have in me for today.

http://marker.to/6XUWun

P.S. I need to do some research to see if about 500 people qualifies as a Division 1 crowd but as the above source points out, even a small raucous crowd can make a difference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just FYI about the Friday game. It was originally scheduled for Thursday and the band was going to play. When it had to be moved due to weather, the new game time had other class conflicts for many of the band members, so they weren't able to have the band there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:34 am Just FYI about the Friday game. It was originally scheduled for Thursday and the band was going to play. When it had to be moved due to weather, the new game time had other class conflicts for many of the band members, so they weren't able to have the band there.

How many classes start after 5pm on a Friday, assuming they could show up about halftime?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:34 am Just FYI about the Friday game. It was originally scheduled for Thursday and the band was going to play. When it had to be moved due to weather, the new game time had other class conflicts for many of the band members, so they weren't able to have the band there.

How many classes start after 5pm on a Friday, assuming they could show up about halftime?
The way music classes are scheduled, most classes are during the morning/early afternoon, and most of the ensembles are either late afternoon/early evening or "arranged". Music students schedules are pretty jam-packed; it doesn't surprise me that a schedule change could make it difficult for a lot of them to attend.

Swing by Browne Hall at...say 7 PM during the week and you'll find ensembles rehearsing and music students down in the practice rooms.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:51 am
sealhall74 wrote:

The way music classes are scheduled, most classes are during the morning/early afternoon, and most of the ensembles are either late afternoon/early evening or "arranged". Music students schedules are pretty jam-packed; it doesn't surprise me that a schedule change could make it difficult for a lot of them to attend.

Swing by Browne Hall at...say 7 PM during the week and you'll find ensembles rehearsing and music students down in the practice rooms.

Good to know there is a logical explanation other than the "Well, we can't do the whole game so why do it at all" one. ;)
wiu2013

I am not just talking about this year with being crapped on. This has been going on for years. I am not sure the season or game, but all I remember is Coach Mo asking the ref, "Are we at home?" I do believe we get a little more crap than some of the other teams in the conference. Everyone in their "right" mind knows how every basketball season must turn out. The Summit League is a business, and if a team with the name Dakota is not in the final games bye bye money!

I will join the rant of game days. I get frustrated at every game, but actually complained out loud onFriday. There is NO game time atmosphere or advantage at Western Hall. If the band is not at the games it is like crickets. I understand why they were not at the game Friday due to the schedule change, but I also think at another university the pep band would have flowed with the game change. I am sure all of them did not have a commitment at 4:30 on Friday. The cheerleaders who should be leading the atmosphere are non-existent. They do not open their mouths the entire game, and they just sit on the floor. In my mind I often think why they don't sit in the stands because they are really just spectators. During games I am always thinking why is the fight song not played at this moment to get the crowd involved? The loud speaker should be playing a well-known "Jock Jam" song that motivates the crowd, the cheerleaders should be leading a something for crowd involvement. NOTHING! The crowd actually did stand up at the end of the game on Friday, but that is a rarity. We have to remember that this team is young, and the boys do not get love at home (home court advantage) or on the road. We set high expectations for the teams and coaches, but are okay with the lackluster home game experience. BTW... the time out promotions can be thrown into the conversation.
Tere North

wiu2013 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 am I am not just talking about this year with being crapped on. This has been going on for years. I am not sure the season or game, but all I remember is Coach Mo asking the ref, "Are we at home?"
This one disturbs me. Officials should call the game they see, not based on where the game is being played. I would hate to think that the home team gets the calls. Granted, the caliber of officials in the Summit league is not exactly primo, but in my mind, if they were swayed by either team, including the home team, their caliber just declined further.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 am
wiu2013 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 am I am not just talking about this year with being crapped on. This has been going on for years. I am not sure the season or game, but all I remember is Coach Mo asking the ref, "Are we at home?"
This one disturbs me. Officials should call the game they see, not based on where the game is being played. I would hate to think that the home team gets the calls. Granted, the caliber of officials in the Summit league is not exactly primo, but in my mind, if they were swayed by either team, including the home team, their caliber just declined further.
Officials are human beings, subject to all of the pitfalls associated with being human beings. I can show you evidence that officials are less likely to penalize a home team with fans which are "close" to the action. Our north side seats in Western Hall are pure gold IMHO. That is where the students should be sitting, assuming we can get them to show up regularly. They can certainly make more noise than the elders sitting there now. If I am Danielle, that is a change I would make. Something major has to be done to get the students back. Giving away IPADs and TVs only works about one night every year.

Here is that evidence: http://marker.to/Lc7UmL
wiu2013

I think the changes need to begin with the athletic office to change the the atmosphere, but unfortunately I am not sure if it is a priority. I have been around sports for a long time and the game time atmosphere is very disappointing. It goes from seating, to time-out promotions, to leading the crowd. I still get perplexed that they check tickets for seating, and will not allow kids/others to sit in seats if they are not in the right section.