top scorers in wiu history series (a countdown)

Rocky Swishterson

New to the Nation.
On old forum (I think) there was a countdown biographical list with pictures of the top hoops scorers in Leatherneck history. I only got about halfway through it, before it kind of vanished. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where it can be found in its entirety (if, in fact, it can). It was really pretty well done and very cool.
Thanks for any help
letsgonecks

I believe you're thinking of what Beau was doing over on his "My Summit League" page (http://www.mysummitleague.com/author/summit). Looks like the last one was http://www.mysummitleague.com/western-i ... toepke-166.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's the thread over at the old Leatherneck Nation (http://www.leathernecknation.com/Topic21248-17-1.aspx)
And not to speak for Beau (maybe he can confirm or deny if he gets a chance to read this), but I'd imagine that with him moving on to other opportunities, he's had to shift focus and wasn't able to continue with the countdown.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

That was a Beau Spencer project and a very good one. I think it is still a work in progress as Beau recently posted here asking for input from whoever might have something worthy to share about past Leatherneck basketball legends. I think he got down to about #160 or so in the countdown. He also posted the stories on his own My Summit League site.

http://www.mysummitleague.com/

You might send a PM to Beau Spencer and see what his plans are (book, more incremental updates, etc.) I too would like to see a finished product. I was a student during the early Marganthaler days so I had the pleasure of seeing a lot of the top scorers along with WIU's own Mr. Basketball Joe Dykstra. I did not miss many games during my stay. I remember a couple games where they put 25 points on the board in first 5 minutes of game and that was before the 3pt shot. Jamie Lilly was lights out from long range. Dwayne Banks was the "Ceola Clark" of that era. They had a point named Johnny Washington who was maybe the quickest guy to ever wear Purple and Gold and he was an absolute magician with the ball - dished out 15 assists one game. Damn, those guys were fun to watch. I don't know about you, but I am ready for the "second coming" if you know what I mean.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Rocky Swishterson

Thanks gents....I appreciate the information. I watched about every home game from 1970 through 1973. I even got to see George "the Iceman" Gervin at Western Hall playing for Eastern Michigan. If I am not mistaken, he was in the post. Memorable WIU players were Dan Braun, a rebounding animal; Ernie Jones, a sharpshooting guard; and assist/steals guard extraordinaire Ike Rudd. Bobby Hunter also a good rebounder.
Never any really great teams while I was there, but the hoops was worth watching for sure.
beauspencer

Just catching up to the forum after moving last weekend. I posted in another thread about the project. I am working on a men's basketball day-by-day history book. I made a lot of progress during the month of May (about 60 pages written, several hundred to go), and did some additional research. As I was doing this, the countdown did come to mind.

Later this summer I may to a Countdown 2.0 as some numbers have changed. I have IHSA Softball the next two weekends, then I will re-focus my spare time to the WIU Basketball stuff.

If you having any memories about WIU Basketball from your time here, please send me an email (beauspencer82@hotmail.com). My book is a day-by-day account of the program from 1903-present, but the highlights are the stories that go beyond the box score as well as occasions such as Gervin playing for Eastern Michigan (or when WIU played a David Robinson-led Navy team, playing against Bob Huggins in his NCAA D1 coaching debut, etc.)
Rocky Swishterson

That's great news. Whenever you have the time. As long as we know it's not a dead deal, It's all good.