New Head Coach

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I knew it was a long shot, but confirmation that Margenthaler isn't interested:

LeatherCy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 am Tim Walsh, Geoff Alexander are names I hear are interested in the job
I think Geoff Alexander could be a good hire. He obviously knows the school and the area (https://fightingillini.com/staff.aspx?staff=1485), from Lincoln, played at Southeastern CC and Western, two degrees from WIU, also spent time at EIU, Evansville, and now U of I. I don't know how his salary at IL compares to what he'd make as HC here, although it might be a little bit of a step up in pay. I think we're one of those "high risk-high reward" kinda situations. It'll be hard, but if he could turn his alma mater back into a winning program, that'd be huge on his future resume.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Necks2003

A quick google of Mr. Plona's name is a bit revealing. No sure we want someone with multiple off the field issues.
sealhall74

Another Tim (Miles) is worth a phone call from Danielle. Wishfully thinking of course.

Delay the football building for a couple years and use the bucks to pay him. lol

Forgot he too is very famililar with the Summit League Dakota schools and hopefully how to beat them.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am I knew it was a long shot, but confirmation that Margenthaler isn't interested:

LeatherCy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 am Tim Walsh, Geoff Alexander are names I hear are interested in the job
I think Geoff Alexander could be a good hire. He obviously knows the school and the area (https://fightingillini.com/staff.aspx?staff=1485), from Lincoln, played at Southeastern CC and Western, two degrees from WIU, also spent time at EIU, Evansville, and now U of I. I don't know how his salary at IL compares to what he'd make as HC here, although it might be a little bit of a step up in pay. I think we're one of those "high risk-high reward" kinda situations. It'll be hard, but if he could turn his alma mater back into a winning program, that'd be huge on his future resume.
I’m pretty surprised howard hasn’t gotten a head job yet
Neckfansince71

Let's make sure we let the process run it's course toward a successful hiring. There is a good chance that interviews could be done at the Final 4. Alot of candidates may be still involved in tournaments, depending who they are. Supranant and company will do just fine. ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

I’m not a fan of Houpt or Ceola getting the job right now but I wouldn’t mind if they hired someone older and had one of them on the staff.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm Let's make sure we let the process run it's course toward a successful hiring.
Oh absolutely. I don't think anyone is saying we need to hire someone this week or anything. I don't think there's any harm in us tossing around names that might end up being in the running.
Also, how is it that it seems like there's a ton of decent coaches out there with ties to Macomb? Are there just so many coaches out there that any town can claim a few college basketball coaches or is Macomb a bit above average for that sort of thing (or maybe it's just skewed by the Margenthaler boys)?

Speaking of...

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm Let's make sure we let the process run it's course toward a successful hiring.
Oh absolutely. I don't think anyone is saying we need to hire someone this week or anything. I don't think there's any harm in us tossing around names that might end up being in the running.
Also, how is it that it seems like there's a ton of decent coaches out there with ties to Macomb? Are there just so many coaches out there that any town can claim a few college basketball coaches or is Macomb a bit above average for that sort of thing (or maybe it's just skewed by the Margenthaler boys)?

Speaking of...

I agree as long as we have someone in place by mid April I’ll be happy.
leatherneckcountry

Just wondering if a team is still playing are we allowed to talk to there staff or do we have to wait until there season is over.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am Just wondering if a team is still playing are we allowed to talk to there staff or do we have to wait until there season is over.
As far as I know, there is no "quiet period" for coaches. Everyone is fair game at any time.
Embrace the pace of the race.