New Head Coach

meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:01 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pmWell Rick Pitino is off the market.
Iona College hires Rick Pitino as head basketball coach in a stunning move.

Pitino, who grew up on Long Island, has close ties to multiple influential voices at Iona, including top booster Robert LaPenta, who formerly partnered with Pitino in ownership of racehorses.

New Iona president Seamus Carey used to work at Transylvania University in Lexington, Ky., and is close with Rick Avare, Pitino’s agent and business manager.

The NCAA still hasn’t ruled on Pitino and the latest Louisville scandal that led to his dismissal, so it’s uncertain if he would face any discipline upon returning to the sport.
Be interesting to see how long he stays there
LeatherCy

Couple things...Micheal Jones is "splitting" calling prospective coaches or calling coaches to measure if they have interest in the job with the AD.

Matt Woodley, Asst at Drake is very interested in the job. Comes from an athletic and coaching family. Dad was long time college FB coach at all levels. He was HC at St. Ambrose when they came to Hanson Field and beat the Leathernecks. He started the FB program at Grand View in Des Moines and within five years they were National Champions. Matt played at Drake. He was recruited by Marty Bell who is now the AD at Quincy U and was the Men's BB HC when Danielle was at Quincy. Matt was the HC at Truman for I believe three years. He was also coach of the D League team in Des Moines for a couple years. He spent six years with Tony Bennett at Washington State, and a year or two at Pitt as an Asst to Kevin Stallings but that was nothing to brag about. He was first Asst hired two years ago by Darrien DeVries when he got the Drake job. His brother is the HC of Grand View FB and played at Iowa State, another brother HC at Johnston High School in suburban Des Moines. Another brother played BB at UNI. They are competitive as hell. He knows the Midwest. If he survived three years in Kirksville Macomb will look like paradise!!
leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 pm Couple things...Micheal Jones is "splitting" calling prospective coaches or calling coaches to measure if they have interest in the job with the AD.

Matt Woodley, Asst at Drake is very interested in the job. Comes from an athletic and coaching family. Dad was long time college FB coach at all levels. He was HC at St. Ambrose when they came to Hanson Field and beat the Leathernecks. He started the FB program at Grand View in Des Moines and within five years they were National Champions. Matt played at Drake. He was recruited by Marty Bell who is now the AD at Quincy U and was the Men's BB HC when Danielle was at Quincy. Matt was the HC at Truman for I believe three years. He was also coach of the D League team in Des Moines for a couple years. He spent six years with Tony Bennett at Washington State, and a year or two at Pitt as an Asst to Kevin Stallings but that was nothing to brag about. He was first Asst hired two years ago by Darrien DeVries when he got the Drake job. His brother is the HC of Grand View FB and played at Iowa State, another brother HC at Johnston High School in suburban Des Moines. Another brother played BB at UNI. They are competitive as hell. He knows the Midwest. If he survived three years in Kirksville Macomb will look like paradise!!
Truman is now good year in and out. Wondering did they change something to focus on being successful or are they still living off something he started.
wiu712

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pmTruman is now good year in and out.
Truman State finished the season with a 23-8 record (16-4 in the GLVC).

Truman State won the GLVC Tournament (played in Edwardsville) and advanced to the NCAA Midwest Regional in Indianapolis where they were scheduled to play Ferris State tonight (March 14). However, all NCAA Tournaments have been cancelled.
meganeck

LeatherCy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:59 pm Couple things...Micheal Jones is "splitting" calling prospective coaches or calling coaches to measure if they have interest in the job with the AD.

According to his profile he was a head coach in the G League also
Neckfansince71

So do you all think of this candidate? I know some of you have been concerned whether this could get done but I would say that if the other couple of candidates are as good as this we should be in pretty damn good shape! ;) jc
leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:39 pm So do you all think of this candidate? I know some of you have been concerned whether this could get done but I would say that if the other couple of candidates are as good as this we should be in pretty damn good shape! ;) jc
I don’t know who the other candidates are but he blows Tifft out of the water in my opinion.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:39 pm So do you all think of this candidate? I know some of you have been concerned whether this could get done but I would say that if the other couple of candidates are as good as this we should be in pretty damn good shape! ;) jc
I don’t know who the other candidates are but he blows Tifft out of the water in my opinion.
He might be the guy who stole LIam Robbins from Billy. Didn't he give us a verbal at one time or am I mistaken?
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm
He might be the guy who stole LIam Robbins from Billy. Didn't he give us a verbal at one time or am I mistaken?
Yes and he has done really well for Drake.
leatherneckcountry

With the freeze on recruiting there’s not really any reason to hurry on a hire other than getting the person you want before someone else swoops them up.