New Head Coach

Necks2003

Just saw that Webster is going to Nebraska.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Necks2003 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 pm Just saw that Webster is going to Nebraska.
Under 2020 Roster Changes: viewtopic.php?p=30215#p30215
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LeatherCy

Matt got things turned around at Truman, former UNI player succeeded Matt then McKendree threw more money at him and Hoerner took over.

Heard tonight former Evansville player and coach Marty Simmons and Brad Underwood Asst Jamall Walker were strong candidates. Sounds like three good candidates.
leatherneckcountry

LeatherCy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:55 pm Matt got things turned around at Truman, former UNI player succeeded Matt then McKendree threw more money at him and Hoerner took over.

Heard tonight former Evansville player and coach Marty Simmons and Brad Underwood Asst Jamall Walker were strong candidates. Sounds like three good candidates.
I considered put walker on my list because of the Brad connection and I think he might be more ready to be a HC than Geoff. I have a really good friend who served on Marty staff and all he told me is he thought Marty would like to be a HC again.
Necks90

Might want to check Woodley's prior positions closely. My understanding is Tony Bennett fired him. Kevin Stallings and staff fired under cloudy circumstances at Pitt. Sure hoping we could do better than a former Truman head coach. Very concerned Danielle's mentor Marty Bell will play a role influencing this candidate with our AD. If not Jamall Walker, need to go hard after Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. This is THE BIGGEST HIRE IN WIU ATHLETICS IN THE LAST 30 years!!! We need to get this right!!!!
leatherneckcountry

Necks90 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 pm Might want to check Woodley's prior positions closely. My understanding is Tony Bennett fired him. Kevin Stallings and staff fired under cloudy circumstances at Pitt. Sure hoping we could do better than a former Truman head coach. Very concerned Danielle's mentor Marty Bell will play a role influencing this candidate with our AD. If not Jamall Walker, need to go hard after Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. This is THE BIGGEST HIRE IN WIU ATHLETICS IN THE LAST 30 years!!! We need to get this right!!!!
From everything I understand McCollum would be a pipe dream. He’s an alum of Northwest Missouri St and it’s going to take more than WIU to get him away. Woodley wasn’t really fired by Bennett he just didn’t take with him when left Washington St. Stallings was fired from Pitt but it’s not like there was recruiting violations. I do wonder why he left Truman I’m guessing he just found a better financial situation.
leatherneckcountry

Do we even know if anyone has came to campus cause a coach can be interested until they get to campus and there opinion changes. Maybe it comes down to 3 or so candidates and they get brought to campus.
Tere North

I expect COVID-19 will interfere with onsight visits. I wouldn't be suprised to see it all take place via video-conferencing.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 am I expect COVID-19 will interfere with onsight visits. I wouldn't be suprised to see it all take place via video-conferencing.
This. There's no reason they have to visit in person for interviews and stuff.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Tere North wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 am I expect COVID-19 will interfere with onsight visits. I wouldn't be suprised to see it all take place via video-conferencing.
That’s the concern I have if we hire someone who’s never been to macomb.