New Head Coach

LeatherCy

Found out this weekend Matt Woodley is mentioned for the Northern Colorado job. Their coach took the Wyoming job after Wyoming fired their coach.
meganeck

LeatherCy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:25 pm Found out this weekend Matt Woodley is mentioned for the Northern Colorado job. Their coach took the Wyoming job after Wyoming fired their coach.
Northern Colorado promoted an assistant coach to the head coach I saw, unless something happened and they changed their mind.
LeatherCy

Good Catch. Northern Colorado promoted Associate Head Coach Steve Smiley to HC Thursday night
leatherneckcountry

Before Billy was fired I said that I was hearing Rob Jeter would be a candidate and Jeff Goodman tweeted he is a leading candidate.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm Before Billy was fired I said that I was hearing Rob Jeter would be a candidate and Jeff Goodman tweeted he is a leading candidate.
Here's that tweet, for reference:

Jeter was 184-170 (.520) in 11 years as HC at Milwaukee, making the NCAA tournament twice. He was an assistant at UNLV for a couple of years after that, followed up by a couple of years as an assistant at Minnesota. Here's more info about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Jeter
He also grew up in the Chicago area and has a very athletic family (including his Dad who played DB with the Packers and Bears), so he's obviously very familiar with the region (and probably the recruiting situation in the Chicago area.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm Before Billy was fired I said that I was hearing Rob Jeter would be a candidate and Jeff Goodman tweeted he is a leading candidate.
Here's that tweet, for reference:

Jeter was 184-170 (.520) in 11 years as HC at Milwaukee, making the NCAA tournament twice. He was an assistant at UNLV for a couple of years after that, followed up by a couple of years as an assistant at Minnesota. Here's more info about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Jeter
He also grew up in the Chicago area and has a very athletic family (including his Dad who played DB with the Packers and Bears), so he's obviously very familiar with the region (and probably the recruiting situation in the Chicago area.
Tons of experience in the Midwest especially in Wisconsin made it to the NCAA tournament twice including winning one game.
HoosierNeck13

I'd be thrilled if we land him.
meganeck

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:48 pm I'd be thrilled if we land him.
I don't know what to think, wasn't real familiar with him. doesn't seem to have too bad of a resume. If he is a candidate leads me to be they must be willing to spend some money. i doubt he is taking a discount to come to WIU, unless he wants to be a head coach again pretty bad.
HoosierNeck13

Not to be disrespectful to my alma mater, but this is probably one of the most difficult places to coach and win-it doesnt help that Western is better known for football and not basketball.
That being said, a good coach can win here: Margenthaler, Kerwin and Molinari.

Jeter seems to have good experience and comes from the midwest. He has been a part of several successful programs from better conferences than ours and has made it to the NCAA Tournament and won games against power schools.
leatherneckcountry

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:12 pm Not to be disrespectful to my alma mater, but this is probably one of the most difficult places to coach and win-it doesnt help that Western is better known for football and not basketball.
That being said, a good coach can win here: Margenthaler, Kerwin and Molinari.

Jeter seems to have good experience and comes from the midwest. He has been a part of several successful programs from better conferences than ours and has made it to the NCAA Tournament and won games against power schools.
His last year at Milwaukee they won 20 games including two against big ten schools. WIU never going to get the flashy name coaches. Milwaukee fans seem to really like him from reading the comments on Twitter and there fan page.