2020 Roster Changes

sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 pm It’s important to remember just cause someone puts there name in doesn’t necessarily mean there gone if they decide that they like whoever the new coach is they may decide to stay. Kobe is the only one that I would say is for sure gone.
So you are saying getting a coach in-house sooner rather than later could make a difference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
TheBatOfWesternHall

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:28 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 pm It’s important to remember just cause someone puts there name in doesn’t necessarily mean there gone if they decide that they like whoever the new coach is they may decide to stay. Kobe is the only one that I would say is for sure gone.
So you are saying getting a coach in-house sooner rather than later could make a difference.
We already had the best coach in house and you all became party poopers and got him fired
wiu712

From the Western Courier:

Kobe Webster to transfer after graduation.
https://westerncourier.com/47375/sports ... raduation/

Time to make the Wright decision.
https://westerncourier.com/47377/sports ... -decision/
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:37 pm Zion Young and Ben Pyle have also entered the transfer portal.
At this rate, there may not be much of a basketball team left to coach.

Yikes, these were the two I was worried about losing and hoping they would stick around, but like Leatherneck Country said just cause they enter doesn't mean they are gone, but I would be shocked if they are back. I'm sure some better Mid-Majors or some high major programs will come a calling. If they do leave be interesting to see if apply to be able to play right away and not sit out a year.

I wonder if the new coach would try to keep one of the assistant coaches, hoping that might persuade some of the guys to stick around.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This is true. Actually Weber State had one of their top RBs go into the transfer portal this offseason and just recently said that he pulled his name back out and is going to return to Weber State for his final year. There's obviously still a decent chance they'll go elsewhere, but if we can get a new coach in and he can talk to them about their situation here, they might still decide to stay. I don't think either Young or Pyle would be grad transfers at this point, so if they're going to another DI school, they'd have to sit out a year, I think. So there's at least some incentive to stick around with that.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

I realize that players and recruits have talked with the coach that is now leaving, but I find it a little odd that they're willing to bail so quickly considering the pathetic win-loss record we had under said coach.

Seems like they'd be willing to at least give a new coach a shot.
Tere North

TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm We already had the best coach in house and you all became party poopers and got him fired
What are you smoking :shock:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:
TheBatOfWesternHall wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm We already had the best coach in house and you all became party poopers and got him fired
What are you smoking :shock:
Well, it is legal here now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

:D
Necks2003

Zion and Pyle both seemed like defensive liabilites that would occasionally have a decent shooting night. If we can get a good coach in the near future.....hopefully he brings along some talent/scouting and we won't miss them. I agree....I think we still have some talent on ghe bench under utilized. We do need a new point guard however.