The New LeRoy A. Ufkes Court at Western Hall

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So...does this mean we no longer play at Waste Management Court?

I also like the fact that this was a donation from the family of a local Leatherneck Athletics contributor and Hall of Fame member, rather than more of a generic corporate sponsorship. I think it bodes well for Tommy Bell that he's started pulling in more larger donations to the athletics department.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Hooray, no more playing at "The Dump" as it was often called. I see Waste Management is still an elite supporter, but no longer has their name on the court.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sure...no athletic department is going to do well without some solid corporate sponsors...something Waste Management has been for quite a few years. Their support, and the support of all of the corporate sponsors is greatly appreciated. Still, if we're going to be naming things after sponsors, I'd prefer it to be alumni and/or wealthy supporters....Al Boyer Stadium, Ufkes Court (anyone know how you pronounce Ufkes?), etc.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Tommy Bell is going to get the job done! He knows how to raise money and he knows how to use it! Changes to Western Hall seating are also on the planning board. ;)
jc
wiu712

The new floor looks nice.

I do have 2 questions:

#1. Will there be a "temporary" high school three-point arc placed down for the Holiday Basketball Tournament ??

#2. Most volleyball games for 2014 will be played at Western Hall. I assume that temporary court lines will be used for that.
WIU0812

I know they had an alternate in the bidding for the Hanson Field video board to be taken down and split in half so it was hung at each end of the basketball court during basketball season, but it was not awarded so it appears if they plan to use it they will have to have another bid to companies for them to do it. Most likely they just got prices to budget for it to be done in the future, I just hope they are able to get video boards in Western Hall before this upcoming basketball season as it would make the whole experience different.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote:(anyone know how you pronounce Ufkes?)
Uf-kiss
wiu712

The new floor at Western Hall was the lead story on tonight's WGEM Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/26027867/2014 ... stern-hall
wiu712

Just noticed that the Summit League has scheduled the North Dakota State at Western Men's Basketball game for Sunday, Feb 1. That will be "Super Bowl Sunday".

Seems like a strange day to schedule a game.
vatusay

Wow, how stupid is that? It has to be moved right? I guarantee attendance will be under 100
#ALLIN #YOLO