Comparing 19/20 with 20/21

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Because I'm kinda a "data nerd", I thought it'd be interesting to see how WIU is matching up with the common opponents from last year vs this year. Obviously there's differences in terms of various players for the other teams, and well...our entire team...but I was just curious to see how we're doing.

So far this season, we've played 4 "common" games: 1 each against UT Martin and EIU, and two games against NDSU
Over those four games last year, we put up an average of 65.25 points and allowed 86.75 points, with an average point differential of -21.5 and a record of 0-4.
Over those four games this year, we put up an average of 71.50 points and allowed 75.25 points, with an average point differential of -3.75 and a record of 1-3.

Against UT-Martin, we lost last year at home by 7 points; this year, we won by 18 at their place.
Against EIU, we lost last year at home by 38 points; this year, we lost by 4 at their place.
Against NDSU, we lost by 20 away and 21 at home; this year, we lost by 18 and 11, both games at home.

Next weekend is a pair of games at SDSU. Last year, we lost by 35 in Brookings, and by 10 in Macomb.

My plan is to post and updated one of these after each weekend's set of games. Obviously it's still very early, but it looks like the team is, in general, performing a bit better than they were last year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
may know

It's not showing up in analytics yet, but incremental steps have been noticeable across the board.
letsgonecks

We lack a go to scorer. We have guys that can score some points, but good teams have that one guy that can take over a game. Great teams have that one guy and solid players around them.

Too many cold spells and don't seem to have that guy to hit the big shot to spark things.

Was hoping that Sandage was going to be that sharpshooter and off the bench guy who could sit in the corner and knock down threes, but he's 5 for 32.

Guess they're still figuring things out and could start to click, but looks like it's going to be a long season of playing from behind.

Future still looks brighter than it has for years, just hope they can start to click.
letsgonecks

Looking further into the season shooting so far, we are well below our average the last 2 years on 3's and FT's.

2 completely different teams and still early, but here's the breakdown over 9 games.

Average percentage the previous 2 years on threes (.377) would have given us 17 more made. Average on FT (.75) would have given us 20 more made.

Shot much better from the line the last 3 games, but need to be more consistent in both areas to get some W's.
sealhall74

I agree with above point about lacking a goto scorer. Seems like every game, someone gets into early foul trouble so that might have something to do with it. That said, offensive scheme does seem a bit stagnant - not good spacing or movement so that everyone knows where everone else is at any given time. Need more off ball screens that have an impact (e.g. pick and roll to bucket), not just setting a pick for the ball handler. Brookens dribbles around a lot trying to make something happen but undersized can get into deep dodo if he get too far into the paint. My gut feel right now is that he might be that goto scorer (like a Houpt/Miklusak spot up shooter) but someone else is going to have to feed him the ball for the open look. Taller defenders will simply force his shots from very deep range if has to create the shot himself. Carius or Sandage alos look to be good spot shooters. Just need plays designed to put them on their favorites spots for the shot. Also, if the ball goes into Pearson in the paint, it seems he has been fairly predictable. Going to back his guy down low and throw up a shot. Maybe mix in a few more kickouts to the perimter. NDSU made their offense click with short quick passes, not a lot of dribbling, around perimeter until a shot or opening in the paint. Noticeable difference in style of scheme.

Defense has been inconsstent giving up way too many easy buckets. I know they have used both man and zone defenses depending on matchups. Not sure switches have been done "on the fly" during the game, but if so, that may simply be lack of communication. Like most teams from past, I think we are a bit "lean" and need considerable weight room work to compete with the XDSUs. Talton listed 6'1"/155. Burell 6'7"/175. They seeing some action now but no way ready to compete at d1 level with that slender frame. My 2 cents is this. It's a free year of eligibility. Why wait until off-season to beef these guys up. If coaches are addressing it now, kudos to them.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So far this season, we've played 6 "common" games: 1 each against UT Martin and EIU, and two games each against NDSU and SDSU.
Over those 6 games last year, we put up an average of 63 points and allowed 84.83 points, with an average point differential of -21.83 and a record of 0-6.
Over those 6 games this year, we put up an average of 71 points and allowed 79.33 points, with an average point differential of -8.33 and a record of 1-5.

Against UT-Martin, we lost last year at home by 7 points; this year, we won by 18 at their place.
Against EIU, we lost last year at home by 38 points; this year, we lost by 4 at their place.
Against NDSU, we lost by 20 away and 21 at home; this year, we lost by 18 and 11, both games at home.
Against SDSU, we lost by 35 away and 10 at home; this year, we lost by 6 and 29, both games away.

Next weekend's games against Kansas City have been cancelled (or at least postponed) so our next set of games will be January 22 and 23 against South Dakota here in Macomb.
Last year, we beat South Dakota by 7 in Macomb, then lost by 13 in Vermillion, SD.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, obviously we're a better team than we have been in the last few years, but I just wanted to go ahead and finish up my numbers-only comparison for this season.
In games that were against the same opponents from last year to this year (conference games plus one each against EIU and UT-Martin):
2019/20 - We averaged 71.81 ppg, opponents averaged 85.44 (a -13.63 ppg average difference). Those games accounted for 2 wins and 14 losses.
2020/21 - We averaged 75 ppg, opponents averaged 79.31 (a -4.31 ppg average difference). Those games accounted for 6 wins and 10 losses.

Apparently we do really bad in our second game of a season against ORU. Last year we lost by 43. This year we lost by 36.

This season, our regular season record was 7-14 (.333), with a 5-9 (.357) conference record.
In 2019/20 - we were 5-21 (.192) and 2-14 (.125) in the conference.
The last time we did better than .333 overall was in 2017/18 (12-16 for .429).
The last time we did better than .357 in the conference was in 2012/13 (13-3 for .813)...that was Molinari's 5th season (out of 6 that he coached for us).