Basketball is back!

WIU0812

Well the first exhibition game is back and I am so unsure of how this team will do this year it is crazy. I like the size of the team, but I do not like that it is young in terms of DI play along with basically half the team being transfers makes for a scary situation. Hopefully Coach Wright has been able to make them adapt quick. The game will be 11/8 @ 3 PM against Cornell which of course is a DIII which is pretty typical for a exhibition game though I wish we would move up to a DII team that is halfway decent to just challenge team somewhat. Predictions, Thoughts, Hopes???
letsgonecks

I would normally agree with the exhibition game being DII, but like you said they're young and most are new to the program, so I'm ok with DIII. Doesn't help prepare for the toughness and speed at the DI level, but can get the rust off, build confidence, chemistry and get everyone game experience that will be suiting up this year.

I'm excited for the season. Even with the unknowns, think the new coach and game plan with help ignite a team with some young talent. Some good teams on the schedule and in the conference, but still hopefull and predicting .500 or a few games over on the season.
sealhall74

A couple of DIII teams within a stone's throw of Macomb might be decent competition if you could get them. Augie and Illinois Wesleyan are both ranked in DIII preseason top 10 this year. I remember seeing Augie in Western Hall once back in my day ('80-'81) before we went DI. In fact, I just looked at the record book and we actually lost that game. Did not remember that outcome.

The 3pm game time is rather surprising to me. Cornell has a football game in Jacksonville at 1pm. No way could a Rams fan see both of these games which is what I would want to do if I were a Rams fan. Surprised they agreed to it unless we made them a $ deal they could not refuse. I am not sure if teams are typically payed to come in and play the exhibition games. Maybe someone can answer that.

WIU is 3-0 all-time against Cornell. These Rams are not "Ram Tough". WIU easily moves to 4-0 all-time.

WIU 78
Cornell 55
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I think the transparency of the program has and will make a whole lot of difference in the months to come. They may be young and new to WIU but they are very very athletic and long! There are also a number of shooters who can just plain fill it up. Look for it to be a bit "hellter skelter" at the beginning of the year as the boy's get comfortable with a little more running and pressing style of play. It will definitely prove to be very entertaining and should give the crowd something to "buzz" about. I think Coach Mo did a great job breathing some life into an almost dead program, but towards the end it almost seemed like he lost some of his energy. I think Billy Wright's departure hurt Mo's chance to recruit some solid athletes. Kids just don't want to run a conservative, lets run some time off the clock, offense. Once again this is just my opinion only. I have not gotten to see any practices and its really tough to get an idea what is going on way up here in the suburbs. Just seems to be a lot of enthusiasm bubbling out of Western Hall. Just look at the Neck Night Festivities and the enthusiasm both the men's and women's players and coaches showed. The crowd seemed to love it too. I think we all know why such a night was not held last year, or other years in the past. I could care less who we play for our exhibition game but I would be very surprised if WIU could get a D2 school to play an exhibition. I think if a D2 is going to play WIU, they would want to make a real game of it! Enough said, JC out! ;)
WIU0812

Here is a picture from facebook that the summit league posted.
Attachments
10358986_10152805152044061_3074439811706091126_o.jpg
10358986_10152805152044061_3074439811706091126_o.jpg (127.17 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
Neckfansince71

Hey, this is very graphic and visual! I think I will take a good look at the rest! Jc ;)
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:The 3pm game time is rather surprising to me.
The 3PM start time is a change from the usual 7PM.

But in looking at both the Men's and Women's schedules, there are more changes ahead.

The Men will have two 1PM home games on Sunday:
January 4 vs Nebraska-Omaha (double-header with Women).
February 1 (Super Bowl Sunday) vs North Dakota State.

The Women will have two 4:30PM home games on Sunday:
December 28 vs Eureka.
January 4 vs Nebraska-Omaha (double-header with Men).
wiu2008

Very excited to see this new group get going this year.

I think this team has a chance to be better than the 7th / 8th place finish it has been predicted at. Actually, I would be very disappointed if we were an 8th place team.

I think overall this team has a chance to be around .500 and hopefully a team that is playing its best ball down the stretch of the season and a true threat in the tournament in Sioux Falls
sealhall74

It has been several years since the Summit League had a dominating big man who could score at will. Last guys that come to my mind are Caleb Green (ORU) and Keith Benson (Oakland). This year, 8 of 10 Preseason Top 10 players are all guards. Whatever team(s) develop(s) the most consistent scoring threats from their 4 and 5 slots will go a long way in the Summit League this year and well into the future.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote:I would be very surprised if WIU could get a D2 school to play an exhibition. I think if a D2 is going to play WIU, they would want to make a real game of it!
Women's Basketball opens tonight (November 6) with an exhibition game vs William Jewel College. They are a member of the NCAA Division 2 Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC). Other members of the GLVC include, among others, Truman State, Quincy University, UMSL, UIS.