Exhibition: WIU vs. Cornell College

beauspencer

Interested to get some first-hand accounts on how the team looked today.

At halftime, WIU has an (as expected) large lead, 47-20.
basfan445

I am as well. I'm hoping to get over and watch a few games this year. It looks like we did overall really well. I don't have a box score or anything. I'm anxious to see how all did what. I honestly think Western will be a dominate team these next three years. Especially with our star players in Jabari and Garret. Especially Garret he is a beast and knows how to score. I believe that he can help lead this team to a NCAA birth or another post season tournament. I really do feel good about this team especially since we have a new coach too.
vatusay

Wait wait wait....47 at HALF!
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote:Wait wait wait....47 at HALF!
No...that can't be right. Surely you mean that was the final score, right?
47-20...yes, that sounds like a perfectly acceptable final score for what we're used to for Leatherneck Basketball.
Two years ago we had wins of: 39-35, 50-42, 43-40, 49-36...so 47-20 against a lower division team...yup, gotta be a final score.
/sarcasm

It definitely (at this point), looks like it's going to be a more high-tempo/offensive team than we've seen the past few years. Not that there's anything wrong with Coach Mo's super-stingy defense, but college kids like to see big offense and big plays. They do that more, and there'll be more students in the stands at games, which is always a good thing.

Let's get the new Ufkes Court rockin' this season!
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Sounds like wright would like to run a more up tempo offense with the shut down defense resulting in more transition points. Pretty excited for this season. Mo established a nice foundation for a young, hungry coach to take the program to the next level. I know it was just exhibition against lower competition but stil have to like the results.
#ALLIN #YOLO
beauspencer

Even in the Mo era we were putting up points like this against similar opposition. We scored 95 vs Greenville a couple years ago.

More points will be scored this season, but we won't really have a good idea until we play Pacific.
meganeck

Would be nice to be able to see a boxscore of the game, but I don't see one on the website.