University of the PACIFIC

Western_101

Pacific is a quality program and a great opponent out of the very good WCC. This should be a great game for Leatherneck fans!

The Tigers have an impressive schedule:
http://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/m-b ... 5/schedule

Very nice 6,150 seat arena.

sealhall74

I feel like I have much in common with these guys. For one, I did that Pacific road trip last year. Arena was nice, their student support not all that great but it was an early season non-conf game. Hopefully we will do better on Friday. They also have the Great Alaska Shootout on their schedule. I also did that several years back. Dumbest hoops trip I have ever done. Flew up there on Thanksgiving day, arrived Anchorage about midnight. Foot of snow on the ground and flurries still coming down as we hit the runway. Sun came up about 9:30 next day and I got to see a couple hours of it before heading to Sullivan Arena for a whole day of basketball (like 10 hours worth). Got up at 5am on Saturday and flew back home. All kinds of airline delays both directions but they were kind enough to bump me up to First Class on flights into and out of Anchorage to make up for it. Back then, you could fly dirt cheap just about anywhere in the world if you were willing to leave on Thanksgiving Thursday and return on the following Saturday. Ahh, the good ol' days of yesteryear.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2008

I am pumped for this game.

Will be a good test to see where we are at.

Wont this be one of the better non conference home games in the last say... 10 years??

I guess we got a UIC team a few years back that came in at roughly 11-1
sealhall74

Last year, they put a lot of pressure on the ball (that always spelled trouble for a Mo team) and we never got into any kind of comfort zone against them. But they lost a lot of key players from last year so I expect we might be able to do some damage against them. Here is one assessment of Pacific 2014:

PACIFIC: Verlin was able to post a winning season in his first year at the helm at Pacific. Making it two in a row will be a monumental task. Verlin's squad went 18-16 last year, but really struggled in conference play with a 6-12 record. Pacific loses about 80 percent of its scoring from a team that put up a modest 73.1 ppg to begin with. Key losses include Tony Gill (11.4 ppg), Andrew Bock (11.3 ppg) and Sama Taku (11.1 ppg). Sophomore guard T.J. Wallace (7.0 ppg) returns as the team's top offensive threat, but must carry the load after starting just three games a year ago. Verlin has fortified his roster with juco transfers like Dulani Robinson (5-8, 165), Alec Kobre (6-2, 185), Sami Eleraky (7-0, 245) and Eric Thompson (6-8, 240), but it is likely to be a long year in Stockton.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/0 ... onference/
Western_101

INDIANA came to Western Hall in 2005 in a 2-1 deal.

NORTHWESTERN came here in early 90s and got beat.

We used to get good non-con MVC, HORIZON.....etc teams come into town.
Western_101

IOWA played in Macomb in 1996.

there are other notable programs that have come to WESTERN HALL.
sealhall74

RedNeck wrote:IOWA played in Macomb in 1996.

My questions to the coaches (if we had a Coaches Show with some sort of fan interaction) would be these:

1) How much of your time do you devote to scheduling?

2) Do you think that scheduling noteworthy opponents at home would improve if it was handled at a higher level in the athletic department and you were totally removed from the situation?

3) Do you engage in multi-sport/multi-year scheduling arrangements with a school? For example, have you ever tried offering another school our volleyball, tennis, and golf on the road in return for their basketball at our place?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:IOWA played in Macomb in 1996.
If you're talking about the season opener in November '96, that wasn't actually at Western Hall.
We might have been the "home team", but it was at the Mark of the Quad Cities (now the iWireless Center).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Anyone know who will be handling the radio broadcasts this year?
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Anyone know who will be handling the radio broadcasts this year?
I think that Scott Kornberg will be doing the Men's BB games. But since he will be in Brookings, SD this week for the football game, another person will be doing the BB game with Pacific on Friday night.