WIU - Week 10

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Things aren't looking so great for our Leathernecks these days. After going 7-2 to start the season, they've hit a skid and lost the last 5 in a row, bringing their overall record to 7-7 and 0-3 in the conference. We are currently ranked #261 in RealTimeRPI.com's rankings. The Summit League is ranked 11th out of 32 Division 1 conferences currently (ahead of the MAC, Big West, Missouri Valley, Horizon League, etc.) and with no non-conference games left, those standings are unlikely to change much.

Up this week are two home games and hopefully a break to this streak.

Thursday, January 13 vs Denver at 7 PM
Denver is 9-8 overall and 1-3 in the conference. They've had a similar season to us so far, going 8-3 through mid-December, but since then have struggled, going 1-5. In-conference, they've lost to SDSU, NDSU, and IPFW and beat Oral Roberts. Full schedule here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... /_/id/2172
Denver is ranked at #236 in the RealTimeRPI.com's rankings.

Saturday, January 16 vs Oral Roberts at 7 PM
Oral Roberts is 9-9 and 1-3 in the conference. They actually also have had a similar season to us so far, going 8-2 through mid-December, then losing 7 straight before finally coming up with a victory last Saturday. In-conference, they've lost to IPFW, USD, and Denver, and beat NDSU by 1 point at home. Full schedule here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... e/_/id/198
ORU is ranked at #105 in the RealTimeRPI.com's rankings.

So, maybe we won't end up at the top of the conference in the regular season like it seemed early on, but if we want to stay out of the conference "basement", we need to win games against teams like Denver and ORU. On the "good news" front, the pep band members are coming back to campus a few days early to play at all three home games this weekend (these two men's games, plus a women's game on Friday night), so hopefully they can provide an added "boost" (along with any other students that happen to be back in town a few days early) to get us "over the hump".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:The pep band members are coming back to campus a few days early to play at all three home games this weekend.
That is good news!
sealhall74

What say the pep band play a special song just for Obi on Saturday? The fans could have some real fun with this (at least the ones from my era). Everybody could give him a nice big smile and wave to him while it is being played. ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

The Cameron Crazies would be all over something like this.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I'd bet the vast majority of the band would have no idea.

Probably going to be a sparsely attended game tonight. I'll be lending my talents to the pep band tonight.
sealhall74

Already two things I like. 2-3 Zone and Lamont Simpson lead referee. The first one was long overdue.
sealhall74

Hope we are taking good notes on the "Art of Pick and Roll" basketball.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I believe we have completely forgotten how to basketball.

I sure hope we aren't hosting any recruits tonight. I literally can't remember when we scored last.
sealhall74

The bad news is we have no energy. The good news is they cannot shoot that well in 2nd half and we mostly likely cant shoot as poorly in 2nd half.
Necks2003

Home game over by halftime. Hope they make me eat my words, but this looks bad all the way around.
sealhall74

Massey has Denver currently ranked #8 in conference. Tonight they are not playing like that.