End the Season

JoeWx21

I don't know if anyone else have the same feelings as I, but AD Tanney needs to end the men's season and reassess the direction of the team and program. The highlight of this season was of course beating #17 and 2015 national runner-up Wisconsin in Madison and against coach bo. Also, the program's best start in the division I era at 7-2. They were attacking the paint, making good passes, taking good shots (maybe one too many 3's), and playing loose.

Flash forward to now. 9 straight losses with nearly half of those losses blowing halftime leads. They take too many jump shots, rely too much on Garrett, are not tough playing defense, and seem to let the struggling snowball accumulation affect them.

This is not only on the players. I don't know what the coaches are doing. Obviously, we can see that coach wright is one hell of a recruiter, but he cannot coach. He is running coach mo's offense with a little bit more high tempo and his defense. He does not change to the style and flow of the game, and also seems to panic like the players when they begin to struggle. Also, what in the hell are the assistance coaches doing? Whatever style they are prepping for any game is not working, and the development of the freshman big man sucks. Am I the only one who thinks he gets worse as the season progress? I know if WIU had the money coach wright would be released of his head coaching duties.

With how the program is now, it seems like it is going back to the Derek Thomas era. Good players, bad coaching, losing outcomes. If AD Tanney and coach wright think this is ok then the program can go back to having 100 people in the stands at Western Hall and no one wanting to play here.

This is also goes on the students, fans, and alumni. If no one feels pissed off at how the program went from a successful high in 2011-2012 to current disappointment then you are part of the problem. Now I am an alumni but also a grad student so I do not have the pull that some of the alumni and donors have to talk to AD Tanney. I hope the really influential alumni and donors can get into his ear.

It is not only upsetting but disappointing to see such great talent not being utilized, and getting a very crappy outcome.
ibleedpurpleandgold

2 yrs is not long enough to see what a coach can do it wasn't like he took over a team that was in a great position however it does seem like the ball movement is much better when Garret is not in the game.
cubsflag

just look around at other mid major programs.it's not easy.no way will i ever even think about giving up on billy wright after one and a half seasons.
Necks2003

Wright needs to see what this team has. The current players receiving playing time obviously are not winning games they should. The only other option is to give some of the freshman recruited on scholarship a achance to see what the team has going forward. No need to worry about redshirting a year now. Things keep continuing as they are and everyone will be looking for somehwere else to play and coach. I agree Wright needs a fair shot at getting things turned around, but the current group is notgetting it done. Give the other big kid a chance. He cant get any more fouls than any otherbig man they put in. Has the Claar kid played at all?

Sometimes you have to gamble a bit just to see what happens, what do we have to lose at this point.

Some nice long sessions of suicides work many times as well. Not only does it getthe team in better conditioning for the last 8 minutes of a game, but it reminds you that losing sucks and by winning you dont have to suicides anymore.
wiu712

North Dakota State won Saturday's game 65-52.

Tate Stensgaard and J.C. Fuller led the Western scoring with 10 points. Jabari Sandifer and Garret Covington each had 9 points.

Western had 11 turnovers which resulted in 10 points for North Dakota State. North Dakota State had 4 turnovers which resulted in 2 points for Western.

Attendance at Western Hall was 1,301.
cubsflag

Necks2003 wrote:Wright needs to see what this team has. The current players receiving playing time obviously are not winning games they should. The only other option is to give some of the freshman recruited on scholarship a achance to see what the team has going forward. No need to worry about redshirting a year now. Things keep continuing as they are and everyone will be looking for somehwere else to play and coach. I agree Wright needs a fair shot at getting things turned around, but the current group is notgetting it done. Give the other big kid a chance. He cant get any more fouls than any otherbig man they put in. Has the Claar kid played at all?

Sometimes you have to gamble a bit just to see what happens, what do we have to lose at this point.

Some nice long sessions of suicides work many times as well. Not only does it getthe team in better conditioning for the last 8 minutes of a game, but it reminds you that losing sucks and by winning you dont have to suicides anymore.
im trying to stay positive but some of players on this team cannot pass.
sealhall74

Ancrum has been a non-factor during this bad stretch. I still think that kid has more RAW potential than anyone we have. However, alot depends on how much muscle he can put on in next year to become a more explosive player.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Everything coach mo worked for and built has all but been destroyed.

Immensely dissapointing.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2013

What short memories some of us have... A few years ago their were massive complaints about Coach Mo and his coaching, and his last season in Macomb was not stellar! He had a great couple of years with players he did not recruit and were leaders. Terrell Parks could have played for any coach and made them a better team, so please do not give Coach Mo all praises for Terrell. Coach Mo left Coach Wright with a bunch of players that are mediocre at best with no ability to lead although I have high hopes for Delo because I believe he is going to be a special point guard. I believe that is part of the reason Coach Mo left for Nebraska!
vatusay

Wright recruited then, mo coached them
#ALLIN #YOLO