WIU - Week 12

cubsflag

another close loss.covington played great.i would have liked to have seen a better play at the end.i think they had about 3 guys on covington.sometimes you need to use great players as decoys.but it is hard not to give him the last shot.but the team really did look good imo.
the only thing i would do differant is play bruster in place of fuller.i think that might help with turnovers and also get more inside passing to tate and chapman.plus then wiu would also have a scorer coming off bench.
wiu712

Garret Covington led the Western scoring with 23 points. Jalen Chapman had 13 points. Tate Stensgaard and J.C Fuller each had 10 points.

18 Western turnovers resulted in 18 points for IUPUI.

Attendance at IUPUI was 883.
Blackjack

Fuller was driving more.. good thing! Garret was aware of his post player being open.. good thing! coach made some adjustments, great! Gilbeck in the game, not such a good thing.. TO's galore bad thing!
I think we may actually beat IPFW believe it or don't. mark my words..
wiu2013

Blackjack wrote:Fuller was driving more.. good thing! Garret was aware of his post player being open.. good thing! coach made some adjustments, great! Gilbeck in the game, not such a good thing.. TO's galore bad thing!
I think we may actually beat IPFW believe it or don't. mark my words..

I think a big point of emphasis by Coach Wright this game was drive the ball to the basket. There seemed to be a lot less 3's this game. I think at times Garret feels like he has to carry this team on his back/ or he needs to shoot because he hasn't had a turn in a while. When he gets in that mindset he becomes a liability. I think he was all about the team today except for the last play. He had three players guarding him pass the ball instead of trying to be the hero! I agree about Brandon Gilbeck. I do believe he is going to be great someday, but this season is not that day! I hope I am wrong because he did have some great blocks and did some great things today, but he is also the biggest thing on the floor yet seems to shoot over the basket from 3-5 feet at least 1-2 times a game. I agree that they may beat IPFW if they play 40 minutes or at least 35 minutes like they played in the second half. I usually feel the "bottom dropping out" each game around the 7-8 minute mark, today I did not feel that way until the last few seconds. I think once they get one win, we will see a totally different team!
Blackjack

IUPUI pushed the tempo.. Gilbeck can't handle that pace yet. They had 5 on 4 situations I think when he was in. IUPUI is good at finding finding the open cutter and such. So Gotta go with Tate and Chapman more and Gilbeck only in some situations. In today's game you gotta be able to drive to the bucket and get fouled. I think Fuller was getting to the rack but has to be careful dropping his shoulder and getting charging called on him. I hope they. Keep that up and hit free throws. . They need to learn how to lob it to Gilbeck. They throw it like its an ally. The lob has more arc so Gilbeck can hold man off with one arm catch with other and not lose position. Kids don't learn this in AAU ball, gotta be taught how to feed big man. Timing and angle etc.
sealhall74

After watching a replay of game, aside from the early TOs, we played about as well as we could have. For the better part of game, they played the exact same defense as us, something that we should be very comfortable going against. NBA scouts were in the house. If that is what it takes, invite them to Macomb for next homestand. ;)

Blackjack, how long does it take to master the art of the lob pass?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Blackjack

5 min .. Just pretend Gilbecks target hand is the basket. Drop it in. If he catches it in position he can score but if he has to release his man to catch it he will be under the backboard or to far out. He is frikin 6'11 with decent hands. This should be 6 points a game and he should draw two defenders. Point is ..its not all Gilbecks fault. Its AAU balls fault. These kids throw ally oops great. But most AAU teams run and gun and never learn low post play. If you know what it's like to seal your man in the post and catch a flat bullet pass you know what it is. In the game Morgan had the right idea but made a low arc quick pass and it went out of bounds cause Gilbeck was trying to keep his man sealed. Little more arc and Gilbeck breaks the backboard.. Hopefully
sealhall74

Today, may all the preachers in Macomb have a little something to say regarding the Leatherneck's dire need for a victory. This game and the home game against Omaha on Wednesday are huge. We are most likely chasing down USD for that last tournament slot. USD knocked us off at their place. Their only other victory was against ORU. Assuming we can manage to knock off USD in final home game of season, a win against either the Dons or the Mavs could possibly give us the tie-breaker advantage should both teams end the season tied in number of wins.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Sunday's North Dakota State at IUPUI Men's BB game will be on ESPN3. Game time is Noon (CST).
Blackjack

Fort Wayne is a good legit team..we will get a win soon, but its so sad, have to laugh to keep from crying..lol, looks like the team may get sping break off