Next Year

macomber

What is next for Western Illinois basketball?

The Leathernecks lose three seniors who are three of the the top five scorers in Fuller, Stensgaard, and Chapman.

What help is on the way. Is James Claar redshirting or did he transfer?

Does anyone see this team being any better next year with a lot of the same guys returning?

Projected starters

1. Sandifer
2. Covington
3. Ancrum
4. Mikulask or Morgan
5. Gilbeck

Remaining schedule
Omaha
@Denver
@OR
@NDSU
SDSU
IPFW
SD

A win over Omaha at home would be huge on Wednesday.
wiu712

macomber wrote:The Leathernecks lose three seniors who are three of the the top five scorers in Fuller, Stensgaard, and Chapman.
#10 Jamie Batish is also a senior.
WIU0812

We will most likely be same or even worse next year, not wanting to be negative, but do not see next year being any better than this year.
sealhall74

I am reserving any judgment about next year until after signings. As for this year, our next two games are against hockey schools (I will be at the Denver game) and IMO we will need a hat trick to qualify for tournament. Student section might come to Wednesday Omaha game with hockey sticks in hand just to get under the Mav's skin a bit.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

sealhall74- I've got to give you credit. Your attendance at WIU athletic event's across the country is truly amazing.From the Dakota's to Denver, plus, you manage to see a lot of games in the DC area too. Not to mention trips to Macomb and in the past to Warren HS ( now United) when their new gym was opened. I tip my hat to you!
vatusay

Going to need some solid transfers from JC and CC levels if we want to see any improvement.
#ALLIN #YOLO
cubsflag

vatusay wrote:Going to need some solid transfers from JC and CC levels if we want to see any improvement.
basically,they are only one tp away.
Neckfansince71

The bigs that were recruited, Big Red, Claar, and Hughes, we're not quite ready for the big time when they arrived on campus and it is going to take another year of lifting and big man drills to get the results we so dearly need. Not sure what the rules are regarding red shirt, but I would hope that that is the direction that Billy takes with Claar and Hughes. The Wisconsin game provided us all with a glimpse of what could be but also has provided us with lofty expectations that have not been met. The result has been a whole lotta frustration for all of us. ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote:The bigs that were recruited, Big Red, Claar, and Hughes, we're not quite ready for the big time when they arrived on campus and it is going to take another year of lifting and big man drills to get the results we so dearly need. Not sure what the rules are regarding red shirt, but I would hope that that is the direction that Billy takes with Claar and Hughes. The Wisconsin game provided us all with a glimpse of what could be but also has provided us with lofty expectations that have not been met. The result has been a whole lotta frustration for all of us. ;) jc
It just takes one game to burn a redshirt unless a season-ending injury occurred sometime before 30% of games have been played. Claar has 6 games and Hughes 5 so I would think that if they are still dressing for games, then their redshirts are effectively "ashen" at this point.
Embrace the pace of the race.
cubsflag

macomber wrote:What is next for Western Illinois basketball?

The Leathernecks lose three seniors who are three of the the top five scorers in Fuller, Stensgaard, and Chapman.

What help is on the way. Is James Claar redshirting or did he transfer?

Does anyone see this team being any better next year with a lot of the same guys returning?

Projected starters

1. Sandifer
2. Covington
3. Ancrum
4. Mikulask or Morgan
5. Gilbeck

Remaining schedule
Omaha
@Denver
@OR
@NDSU
SDSU
IPFW
SD

A win over Omaha at home would be huge on Wednesday.
if ancrum is as good as some think,this team will be better.but obviously still not great.but nothing 2-3 juco's can't cure.