Feb 20 vs SDSU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote:About the only positive was seeing coach Patterson with coach Fisher.
I realize I'm kinda derailing a basketball thread to talk about football, but at this point, I don't think it matters much.

I wonder if getting Coach P on friendly terms with Fisher and the current people might help bring back some support from some of the football alumni who played under Patterson. There's quite a few former NFL (and one current) players who had a great deal of respect for Coach P. I realize that he's retired from coaching now, but he was in Eastern Iowa (U of I) and Western Illinois for 30 years, so I'm sure he's got a lot of ties to this area of the country. I'd love to have him "involved" even just to the point of occasionally contacting successful football alumni from his era and letting them know that they should go check out what Coach Fisher's doing at their alma mater.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ibleedpurpleandgold

ST_Lawson wrote:
vatusay wrote:About the only positive was seeing coach Patterson with coach Fisher.
I realize I'm kinda derailing a basketball thread to talk about football, but at this point, I don't think it matters much.

I wonder if getting Coach P on friendly terms with Fisher and the current people might help bring back some support from some of the football alumni who played under Patterson. There's quite a few former NFL (and one current) players who had a great deal of respect for Coach P. I realize that he's retired from coaching now, but he was in Eastern Iowa (U of I) and Western Illinois for 30 years, so I'm sure he's got a lot of ties to this area of the country. I'd love to have him "involved" even just to the point of occasionally contacting successful football alumni from his era and letting them know that they should go check out what Coach Fisher's doing at their alma mater.
I would assume having coach stockton on the staff might help his relationship with some of the staff and coach p may still have good relationships with some coaches in the midwest that could help in recruiting.
ibleedpurpleandgold

vatusay wrote:Meh. They were bad both ways. Personally, I like it. Protecting his players out there.

About the only positive was seeing coach Patterson with coach Fisher.
not when you are screaming about a travel but should have known when i walked in and saw donnie olsen and dave cronin as two of the officials that it would not be a well called game but dave blew his whistle something he hasn't done in the past.
wiu712

South Dakota State won the game 87-67.

Garret Covington led all scorers with 23 points. Mike Miklusak had 12.

South Dakota State out-rebounded Western 48-27.

South Dakota shot 37 free throws (made 33). Western shot 26 (made 16).

Tate Stensgaard left the game in the 2nd half with a dislocated shoulder.

Attendance at Western Hall was 1,166.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ibleedpurpleandgold wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:

I would assume having coach stockton on the staff might help his relationship with some of the staff and coach p may still have good relationships with some coaches in the midwest that could help in recruiting.
[tweet]701207180171677696[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Necks2003

It shall be interesting to see how this basketball offseason will shake out. I am assuming Wright will get an opportunity for another year or two, but this roster will need a pretty substantive overhaul if they want to be consistently better next season. I was hoping to see some of these young guys step up and provide a significant cornerstone for the future, but I havent seen anyone in the running for freshman or newcomer of the year contention. That said, we need at least 1 or 2 signature players from this offseason. A couple freshman having time to mature is fine, but we need some real starters.
vatusay

Since the end of the game I've been trying to find just one positive from the floor today. I simply can't think of a single one.

The effort was embarrassing, actually.

The product on the court today was no where near D1 quality.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Blackjack

Pathetic! Embarrassing
wiu712

The Western Pep Band was very sedate at Saturday's game. They are usually the loudest vocal group at the games. And the rest of the crowd feeds off of their energy.

But the band was unusually quiet. That made for a very somber atmosphere inside of Western Hall.
vatusay

It was the play on the court that kept it quiet. There was not one thing to cheer for, except for papa johns.

The play was pathetic. The effort was even worse. Anytime there was moment to cheer for they were down by 20.

They were flat footed, lazy, just "out of it", and seemed to not give a crap.

I'm surprised the gym wasn't empty by the last media time out. I understand losing a game is never good, but losing in that manner was 100x worse.

The only time they showed emotion is when a foul was called.

No effort on the boards. Out-rebounded 47-28.

This team has no offensive identity besides well let's pass it around maybe Garrett can get a look. Seem to run pick and roll 70% of the time but the player setting the pick NEVER gets the ball. I don't know how many times I saw gilbeck at the top of the key with the ball. What in the heck is he doing up there? Get him and chapman the ball down low! Get them going, at least give them a chance.

It's just absolutely pitiful. I could go on and on.

I wouldn't be surprised if attendance levels got back to the DT era. I won't be one of the 200 in attendance this time though.
#ALLIN #YOLO