vs Eastern Illinois

wiu712

Western wins the game 83-62.

For the second straight game, five players reach double-digit scoring. Emily Clemens led the way with 20 points and nine assists, followed by Mallory Boyle's career-high 17 points, Morgan Blumer (14), Michelle Farrow (11) and Taylor Higginbotham (11).

Western's 8-3 start is its best since the 2005-06 season (started 14-2).

Attendance at Western Hall = 604.
Leathernecks09

Why is no one supporting the women's basketball team? Attendance was less than the men's game??? JD and staff are going to do great things this year, let's show them some love!
wiu712

We have 3 more double-headers coming up in Jan and Feb. If the Women always play the second game, there will be a greater chance of sending the crowd home in a good mood. :D
sealhall74

That is an interesting trivia question. Is there any Div1 school which average attendance for women is more than average attendance for men? I might look into it but if the answer is no, I sure as hell would not want WIU to be the first in history unless we are making a run to the Final Four or something like that.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:That is an interesting trivia question. Is there any Div1 school which average attendance for women is more than average attendance for men? I might look into it but if the answer is no, I sure as hell would not want WIU to be the first in history unless we are making a run to the Final Four or something like that.
Only South Carolina's Women beat their Men for average home attendance, though Notre Dame and Baylor are very close.

Here' the top 10 for Women's BB attendance compared to the Men for the 2015-16 season.
#1 South Carolina 14,364 vs 11,995 (#31)
#2 Tennessee 10,412 vs 15,232 (#17)
#3 Iowa State 9,833 vs 14,270 (#16)
#4 Louisville 9,503 vs 29,859 (#3)
#5 UConn 8,920 vs 10,413 (#40)
#6 Notre Dame 8,437 vs 8,517 (#55)
#7 Michigan St 6,561 vs 14,797 (#13)
#8 Kentucky 6,454 vs 23,361 (#1)
#9 Baylor 6,283 vs 6,410 (#82)
#10 Purdue 6,253 vs 13,662 (#20)
Last edited by Tere North on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

When I first saw the question, my first guess was going to be Tennessee because of the success they'd had over a long period of time and the respect that the school, community...and really, the entire sports world...has for the late Pat Summitt.
You'd have to have a really good women's team and a fairly mediocre men's team...so, like...UConn has had a phenomenal women's team over the last...idk...5...7 years...at least? But their men's team has been very good as well. The other one I thought of was Notre Dame. I know their women's team is really good, I don't know if their men's team is any good or not, but I know that on the men's sports side of things...it's all football. So I was thinking that'd probably be pretty close.

Then I saw the list and realized that my guesses were pretty good. Looks like Tennessee's men's team has been good enough for a while to have decent attendance, and Notre Dame is pretty close overall.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

sealhall74 wrote:That is an interesting trivia question. Is there any Div1 school which average attendance for women is more than average attendance for men? I might look into it but if the answer is no, I sure as hell would not want WIU to be the first in history unless we are making a run to the Final Four or something like that.
Interested to hear why you "sure as hell would not want WIU to be the first in history" for something like this? I see from Tere already that we wouldn't be, but your adversity to this seems at best strange and potentially something worse.

I think it would be great if Western Hall was packed for every women's game. They're good and fun to watch. I think good attendance for good programs and bad attendance for bad programs is the way the athletic world works, and as a proud father to a daughter, I don't think that should come with an asterisk *for men's athletic programs only*.

The WIU WBB team is currently 4-0 vs. IL D1 basketball programs with 2 more left on the non-con schedule (Chicago State and ISUr remaining). CSU is away next Saturday and ISUr is at Western Hall on Tuesday, December 20th. Come out and see some great athletes, a cool brand of basketball, and hopefully, a Leatherneck victory.
wiu712

The game with Illinois State will be on Tuesday, Dec 20. The university will be on semester-break, so the students will be gone. It will be up to the community to fill the seats for that game.

Western Athletics is saying that the game will be "HOLIDAY CELEBRATION". But there were no details as to what that means.
sealhall74

LocalYokelFan wrote:
Interested to hear why you "sure as hell would not want WIU to be the first in history" for something like this? I see from Tere already that we wouldn't be, but your adversity to this seems at best strange and potentially something worse.

I think it would be great if Western Hall was packed for every women's game. They're good and fun to watch. I think good attendance for good programs and bad attendance for bad programs is the way the athletic world works, and as a proud father to a daughter, I don't think that should come with an asterisk *for men's athletic programs only*.

The WIU WBB team is currently 4-0 vs. IL D1 basketball programs with 2 more left on the non-con schedule (Chicago State and ISUr remaining). CSU is away next Saturday and ISUr is at Western Hall on Tuesday, December 20th. Come out and see some great athletes, a cool brand of basketball, and hopefully, a Leatherneck victory.
Did not mean anything negative about womens basketball. I love the things JDs got going now. He knows how to get the most out of his talent and they are indeed a joy to watch play. I said it earlier. The AD should be marketing them as such. What I meant to imply above is that, if it does happen, then this is clear evidence that the men's side has some serious problems to deal with, as if we don't already know. Best case scenario is that somehow the men can feed off the women's success and start drawing bigger attendance as well.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Will date myself a great deal,however, when I was in high school girls didn't even have team sports. Only an after school program that was an intramural sports program. They had no opportunities to play organized sports against other schools. Women's sports have come a long way, fairly quickly once it started. Title 9 helped, of course, however, I don't want to get into any banter on the pros and cons of that. :)