at Chicago State

wiu712

Western wins Saturday's game vs Chicago State 54-50. Western is now 9-3 on the season.

Chicago State led 16-5 at the end of the first quarter.

Taylor Higginbotham led the Western scoring with 14 points. Emily Clemens had 13. Olivia Braun had 12.

Western was 3 for 20 on three-point attempts.

Attendance at Chicago State = 116.

Western will be back home at Western Hall on Tuesday night vs Illinois State. Game time is 7PM.
meganeck

I wonder how many in attendance were WIU fans/parents and family.

JD was not happy in his post game comments... can't blame they should have blew this team out, but a win is a win.
wiu2013

I noticed the ladies were 3-20 on 3-point attempts. Do you think the team will struggle in games if they are not hitting their 3's?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu2013 wrote:I noticed the ladies were 3-20 on 3-point attempts. Do you think the team will struggle in games if they are not hitting their 3's?
I seem to remember last year being the same way. Some days they'd hit a solid percentage of their 3's....those games, it felt like they could take down anybody and are a very exciting team to watch. But every now and then, the 3's would be cold, and it felt like they'd struggle against Macomb High. Luckily, it seems like we see a bit more of the former and less of the latter.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

You could tell a close win versus CSU left a bit of a bad taste in JD's mouth, as it should, but I also think there's a silver lining in winning a game where you shoot 3 for 10 from deep. I don't care if you're WIU or UConn, 15% from 3s will most likely end in a loss.

Also, I would say the 3-pointer is important to WIUWBB, but I'd think it's just important in college basketball in general. I think this year's version of WIUWBB is actually a little bit less prone to shooting whoas like the one we saw on Saturday because there are more good shooters on this team than there have been in the past -- the 3-point shooting seems to be more balanced. So if Higginbotham and Clemens are cold one night, hopefully Farrow and Blumer aren't (or Hanneman, Patrick, or Pryor, etc). I think balance is good for this team and has helped -- but 3 for 20 is 3 for 20... hopefully just an anomaly.

I also think this year's version with the balance they have space the floor a little bit better allowing for more slashing and backdoor cut opportunities. As good as Ashley Luke was, her strength was on the block and facing up from short-to-mid range. That was great, particularly with her talent level, but it didn't allow for the free-flowing, well spaced, everybody cutting and popping out type offense we've seen this year.

Last note - tomorrow at WESTERN HALL at 7 PM the 'Necks take on ISU (does that stand for "I Screwed Up"?). With a win, the ladies would be 6-0 on the year versus Illinois D1 opponents. I want our teams to win conference titles first and foremost, but a close 2nd to that is beating in-state opponents. A perfect record in that regard would be quite an accomplishment and recruiting pitch for JD, Seth, and Co. moving forward.