17/18 Season - vs UMKC, vs Illinois College

leathernecks1

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 pm
leathernecks1 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm Can someone please tell our announcer that Olivia's last name is Braun and not Brown! It is embarrassing when your home announcers can't pronounce your players names. Especially since this is not Olivia's first season with us. Also, someone may want to inform the ESPN reporter that this was not J.D. Gravina's 100th career win. It was his 100th win at WIU. He had wins at previous schools.
Are you sure that's how Olivia's name is pronounced though? The radio announcer at the beginning of the game said that he went the entire last season pronouncing it like you'd think Braun would be pronounced like the word "brawn", but that he talking with someone more "in the know" and was informed that it's actually pronounced like the word "brown". I'll see if I can find out for sure which one it is.

EDIT - according to this year's "Quick Facts" guide...it's pronounced like the word "brown" (like the color).
17/18 Quick Facts Guide - see the bottom left of page 4 for the pronunciation guide.
My apologies. Per Olivia, the correct pronunciation is "Brown". I was going off of the way the announcer pronounced her name the entire 2016-17 season. Glad we got that straightened out! Looking forward to another great season from JD and the girls.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leathernecks1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 pm My apologies. Per Olivia, the correct pronunciation is "Brown". I was going off of the way the announcer pronounced her name the entire 2016-17 season. Glad we got that straightened out! Looking forward to another great season from JD and the girls.
No problem. I was confused a bit too, but then he apologized for getting it wrong all last season and mentioned that he had been corrected before the start of this season.

All good now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

122-40 was the final score against Illinois College this afternoon, just FYI.
Bench players got a lot more playing time too.
For example, in the game against UMKC, Clemens and Braun both had over 30 minutes (Clemens led with 39 minutes). Pryor, Merriman, and Gilmore had a combined total of 14 minutes.
In today's game, Clemens and Higginbotham led the team with 22 minutes. Gilmore and Merriman each had 18 minutes and Pryor had 17.

So, as expected, pretty much blew open a big lead after 1 quarter, then mostly rotated through a lot of the bench players to get them some experience.
wiu712

Attendance for the game vs Illinois College = 601.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I suppose I should have mentioned a bit about the game tonight.
The women beat William Woods University (NAIA) 96-52.

Their next game is Saturday, November 18th at Northern Illinois. Game time is 1 PM