17/18 Season - vs UMKC, vs Illinois College

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think that it might be useful (and a bit easier for me) to do threads for essentially a week or weekend's worth of games this season, if that's ok with everyone. I'm not going to do write ups of games like I do with football because I know comparatively very little about the game of basketball (I know most of the basics...but that's about it). Those of you who are more knowledgeable about basketball, feel free to chime in, discuss, whatever.

It looks like WRMS is going to be carrying both the Men's and Women's games this year...looks like most, if not all of the games.
You can listen live here: http://www.wrmsfm.com/listen-online/

Friday, November 10th
Leathernecks vs former Summit League team UMKC Kangaroos (WAC)
7:30 PM at Western Hall.
Game will also be available on ESPN3.
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/wiu/wbball/
More info: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/11/ ... ath=wbball

Sunday, November 12th
Leathernecks vs Illinois College Lady Blues (DIII)
4:30 PM at Western Hall
More Info
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

RING CEREMONY ANNOUNCEMENT:
On Sunday (Nov. 12) the Leathernecks take on Illinois College at 4:30 p.m. Fans are encouraged to come early to the game to celebrate the 2016-17 Summit League Title, as the team will be presented its championship rings along with the unveiling of the championship banner.

Leaving rings in the past.
From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/39509/sports ... -the-past/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Score update:
UMKC 51
WIU 57
Start of the 4th quarter

Was a close game for a while...UMKC having 4-point leads a couple of times nearing the end of the 2nd and tied at 50 with ~4 minutes left in the 3rd, but then the Leathernecks blew things open eventually getting to 20 points up twice before finishing with the 19-point victory.
The team struggled early with free throws, hitting only 57% of them in the first half.

A few player stats:
  • Clemens led the Leathernecks with 21 points, Blumer had 15, Higginbotham and Koaufmann each had 11 points and Braun and Farrow had 10 each
  • Braun and Higginbotham each had 8 rebounds and Blumer had 7
  • Farrow went 2-3 on 3-pointers
  • Braun led the team with 3 steals and 2 blocks
  • Clemens had 12 assists
leathernecks1

Can someone please tell our announcer that Olivia's last name is Braun and not Brown! It is embarrassing when your home announcers can't pronounce your players names. Especially since this is not Olivia's first season with us. Also, someone may want to inform the ESPN reporter that this was not J.D. Gravina's 100th career win. It was his 100th win at WIU. He had wins at previous schools.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leathernecks1 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm Can someone please tell our announcer that Olivia's last name is Braun and not Brown! It is embarrassing when your home announcers can't pronounce your players names. Especially since this is not Olivia's first season with us. Also, someone may want to inform the ESPN reporter that this was not J.D. Gravina's 100th career win. It was his 100th win at WIU. He had wins at previous schools.
Are you sure that's how Olivia's name is pronounced though? The radio announcer at the beginning of the game said that he went the entire last season pronouncing it like you'd think Braun would be pronounced like the word "brawn", but that he talking with someone more "in the know" and was informed that it's actually pronounced like the word "brown". I'll see if I can find out for sure which one it is.

EDIT - according to this year's "Quick Facts" guide...it's pronounced like the word "brown" (like the color).
17/18 Quick Facts Guide - see the bottom left of page 4 for the pronunciation guide.
wiu712

Western beats UMKC 90-71. Attendance at Western Hall = 928.

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE:
Coaches:
Gravina - gruh-VEE-nuh
Ignoto - Ig-no-toh

Players:
#3 Braun - Brown
#4 Danni - Dan-EE
#12 Blumer - BLUE-mer
#13 Kaufmann - KOFF-man
#14 Hanneman - Hann-eh-man
#24 Higginbotham -Hig-in-BAHTH-am
OldHare

Nice crowd for the win over former conference foe UMKC.
sealhall74

Humanity would be totally helpless without Youtube to show us how to build things and pronounce things. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Balanced offense, scrappy defense leads WIU past UMKC.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... -past-umkc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin