ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LEATHERNECKS BEAT THE ILLINI!!!

Final Score - 77-67
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Illini were more athletic but we were far better coached and played more team ball in this game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Taylor Higginbotham led the Western scoring with 24 points. She left the game with an eye injury and did not play in the 4th qr. Taylor Hanneman had 19 points. Olivia Kaufmann had 13. Emily Clemens had 11.

Western was 14 for 35 (40%) on three-pointers.

Attendance at UIUC = 1,080.
leathernecks1

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm Illini were more athletic but we were far better coached and played more team ball in this game.
I agree! Not the first time JD and staff have outcoached other teams and certainly will not be the last! Question is how long will JD stay in Macomb? I figured he would want to come back this year with all the returnees, but next year might be different. Not saying that he would be leaving the cupboard bare by any means, but when someone offers him a half mil per season next year, I think he might jump!
wiu712

leathernecks1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:19 pmQuestion is how long will JD stay in Macomb? I figured he would want to come back this year with all the returnees, but next year might be different.
We have 10 on the team. 6 are seniors. There will be a big turnover next season.

During the WRMS Radio Post-Game Show, Danny Frey mentioned that is was Western's first win over a "Power Five" conference member since 2005: Western beat Wisconsin 70-61 on December 23, 2005.
leathernecks1

wiu712 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 pm
leathernecks1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:19 pmQuestion is how long will JD stay in Macomb? I figured he would want to come back this year with all the returnees, but next year might be different.
We have 10 on the team. 6 are seniors. There will be a big turnover next season.

During the WRMS Radio Post-Game Show, Danny Frey mentioned that is was Western's first win over a "Power Five" conference member since 2005: Western beat Wisconsin 70-61 on December 23, 2005.
Actually we have 12 on the team. 2 are red shirts, 1 freshman and junior transfer. They will still have Higginbotham & Kaufmann. Annabel (sp?) will fill in immediately. There is a lot of talent coming next year. I think JD just needs to sign a junior college transfer to replace Braunn and they will be just as good next year.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm Question is how long will JD stay in Macomb? ...when someone offers him a half mil per season next year, I think he might jump!
JD negotiated his new package last year to include provisions for his staff. It was important to him as they are like family. I just don't see JD leaving just for money. He loves what he is doing and loves it here. I see a long future for JD at Western unless Western does something to drive him away.
leathernecks1

Tere North wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm Question is how long will JD stay in Macomb? ...when someone offers him a half mil per season next year, I think he might jump!
JD negotiated his new package last year to include provisions for his staff. It was important to him as they are like family. I just don't see JD leaving just for money. He loves what he is doing and loves it here. I see a long future for JD at Western unless Western does something to drive him away.
I hope you are right. I realize what he did during contract negotiations last year. I know he loves Western, but I bet a lot of offers show up on his doorstep at the end of this year. The right one could pull him away. There is a big difference between $500k and $100k. It's a business, happens all the time. Look at Saul Phillips a few years ago. He didn't even go power 5. JD will get power 5 consideration. I am pretty sure Illinois looked at him last year.
wiu712

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm
This is the impression I've always gotten from him. He seems to really like Western and the area. It'd have to be a pretty hefty pay increase, not only for him, but also for his staff members (or the promise of the ability to move up the chain a bit), to get him to leave. Not saying it couldn't happen, but whereas some coaches may bolt for a relatively "equivalent" school that gives a 10% pay bump and slightly better facilities...for JD, it'd take a lot more than that to lure him away.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000