@NIU, @Illinois, @Chicago State

wiu2013

Coaches will always look, even JD. Who is to say he did not look at the end of last season. Money is not everything, but when you have young children and you are building for their financial future money is a factor.
leathernecks1

I don't think that money will be the only factor. Look at the facilities and how much easier it would be to recruit talent at a power 5. Just think what JD could do with more talent and better facilities. If he coached at a power 5, he could be comperting for national championships not just trying to win 1 tournament game. I don't think people realize how good of a coaching staff WIU has and how lucky WIU is to have them. They not only teach the fundamentals of basketball, they are teaching these girls and utilizing advanced analytics as a tool to outcoach other coaches. This coaching staff is the best WIU has ever had and there is no comparison. Honestly, it would be wise if the Leatherneck club head up some kind deal where the members contributed a certain dollar value per year to either add to facility upgrades or JDs pool of money for either himself or his staff. He co ukd choose what he used the money for. What I am trying to say is we cannot sit back and expect that he will stay. We need to be proactive and reward him for his successes. I honestly think we could have a too ten coaching staff inn the nation!
LocalYokelFan

wiu712 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm Taylor Higginbotham led the Western scoring with 24 points. She left the game with an eye injury and did not play in the 4th qr. Taylor Hanneman had 19 points. Olivia Kaufmann had 13. Emily Clemens had 11.

Western was 14 for 35 (40%) on three-pointers.

Attendance at UIUC = 1,080.
Just a technical note on this. Taylor Higginbotham played well into the 4th, she got hit with an elbow around the 2 minute mark and was bleeding from the face pretty badly. Heard later on that she got stitched up and will be fine. But at the time it was a big deal - initially called a foul on T Higgs, she goes off bleeding with us only up 4, reversed as a flagrant, two free throws - our ball. Anyways, all's well that ends well.

Great game, great team, great coaching staff... a really fun game to take in at Assembly Hall. Nice to see a Kaufmann back doing well on that court too! Final thought - just enjoy the ride with this staff. I think they are really happy here and really enjoy their quality of life in Macomb. Another, better opportunity might present itself, but until it does, just enjoy it and come out and support them.
leatherneckcountry

I got back late so I didn't really want to type anything up last night it was actually the 1st time I had ever been on U of I campus. I was pleasantly surprised how many people made the drive over Tanney and Jones even made the drive over. To me it seems like Higginbotham really steps up against the power 5 conference schools she played well against FSU and she played super well last night I was just glad the officials got that call right cause it was a big play. I've been very surprised with Kaufmann so far she was not good in the exhibition but she has played well every since the beginning of the regular season. Obviously you don't want Clemens and Blumer to have many off games but it's good to see them get a win when they don't play well. My 1st year at WIU was the last year of the Crane era and I remember the very 1st game I went to I sat right behind the bench and I was scared for the player because the way they got screamed at and it wasn't just the normal coaching tongue lashing. The reason that I brought that up is because of one of the most impressive things to me is how JD knows which players he can call out and which ones he needs to back off on I know it's a little easier when you have a veterans team. Emily stoled the ball and instead of going in and finish at the hoop she stopped at the hoop and shot faked and missed it like she was scared of it getting blocked and 3 starters were on the bench and that's when he turned around and screamed at them that they were playing scared and they really started turning it around at that point. I agree that we just need to enjoy this staff for however longer we are able to have them I've had the opportunity to talk to JD several times and you can tell that he genuinely cares about everyone from players to coaches and fans. I'm not a big fan of hiring within when a coach leaves but when he does leave I think Minter would be a great next man up.
wiu712

Women's BB at Chicago State: 7PM. Watch the game here: http://www.wacsports.com/watch/?Live=629
basfan445

Buddy of mine was at the game. Said the score doesn't do justice to how awful Chicago State played. He said it was a very rough game to watch.
wiu712

Western beat Chicago State 83-45.

Emily Clemens led the Western scoring with 21 points. Taylor Higginbotham had 14. Taylor Hanneman had 10.

Chicago State had 30 turnovers which resulted in 37 points for Western.

Attendance at Chicago State = 163.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm Taylor Higginbotham led the Western scoring with 24 points. She left the game with an eye injury and did not play in the 4th qr. Taylor Hanneman had 19 points. Olivia Kaufmann had 13. Emily Clemens had 11.

Western was 14 for 35 (40%) on three-pointers.

Attendance at UIUC = 1,080.
If the Illini Women came to Western Hall, do you think we would have more than 1000 for the game? I say yes
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 pm Western beat Chicago State 83-45.

Emily Clemens led the Western scoring with 21 points. Taylor Higginbotham had 14. Taylor Hanneman had 10.

Chicago State had 30 turnovers which resulted in 37 points for Western.

Attendance at Chicago State = 163.

The opposite side of the stands from the bench, i don't think there was a single fan sitting over there.
I wish Western had a facility like Chicago State's
wiu712

meganeck wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 pmI wish Western had a facility like Chicago State's.
Emil Jones was the big benefactor. That arena seats 7,000.