vs #16 Missouri

Rayldog

First time poster, but have been watching the women's team for several years. Couple takeaways from this game.
1. I think JD is one player away from having a really great team.
2. They are going to have to play better defense and stay out of foul trouble. Would have been a closer game if they are in the whole game.
3. I was impressed with how the young players attacked the basket on a such physical team like Mizzou. I think the kickout 3's will come. If open they proved they can hit them in the Jewell game with 14 3's!
4. It was late but I was impressed with the student section in the first half. Would love to see that continue. Get them involved more in the fun games too.
5. Like the big pep band. Wish the trumpet section would let it scream. I heard ST Lawson over all those trumpets! Turn the bass guitar down a little too!
6. Redneck are you serious? Shit the bed? Check out SD St. They lost to #19 Marquette by 39. ND lost to #18 Syracuse by 36. We will see how SD fairs against Mizzou Dec15th and how some of the other summit league schools do when they play power 5 schools.
7. I hear that Pryor and Garcia are out due to injuries and Washington has Mono. Those 3 would have helped out last night.
8. If JD can find 1 more piece to this puzzle I think they will finish at the top of the summit league. It may have to be a combination of 3 or 4 players to fill that spot.
9. Looking forward to this season! Yes it is going to be up and down but what do you expect after losing 4 starters and 6 seniors.
10. Could be worse. You could be a Kentucky Fan!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rayldog wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm 5. Like the big pep band. Wish the trumpet section would let it scream. I heard ST Lawson over all those trumpets! Turn the bass guitar down a little too!
I don't know if it'll always be that way (with the big band) since this was the first game, but hopefully it will. Sorry about being so loud...when we first got started I was really confused because I couldn't even hear the trumpets playing, so I kinda backed things off a bit as the game progressed (it's ok to be loud...it's not ok to be the only thing you can hear). I'm trying to get them to play louder though and Matt Thomas (the director of athletic bands) told them to stop playing into their stands...so hopefully that'll help too.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rayldog

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Rayldog wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm 5. Like the big pep band. Wish the trumpet section would let it scream. I heard ST Lawson over all those trumpets! Turn the bass guitar down a little too!
I don't know if it'll always be that way (with the big band) since this was the first game, but hopefully it will. Sorry about being so loud...when we first got started I was really confused because I couldn't even hear the trumpets playing, so I kinda backed things off a bit as the game progressed (it's ok to be loud...it's not ok to be the only thing you can hear). I'm trying to get them to play louder though and Matt Thomas (the director of athletic bands) told them to stop playing into their stands...so hopefully that'll help too.
Sorry if you thought I said you were too loud. I was meaning the trumpets were too quiet. Being a fellow trombone player and a band director for 22 years I was surprised that the college trumpets weren't wailing! I also play bass guitar too in our pep band. It would of been fine if there was more lead with it!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rayldog wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:20 pm Sorry if you thought I said you were too loud. I was meaning the trumpets were too quiet. Being a fellow trombone player and a band director for 22 years I was surprised that the college trumpets weren't wailing! I also play bass guitar too in our pep band. It would of been fine if there was more lead with it!
I agree, they are too quiet, but at some point, I can't just keep playing over them. You'd think that...idk...6 or 8 (or however many) college-aged trumpets wouldn't be able to be out-blasted by one 40-year-old trombone, but that's kinda how it is right now. Crazy thing is, when I was an actual student in the pep band 20ish years ago, I was one of maybe 6 trombones that were just as loud...we all played at that level (and we had some absolutely screaming trumpets too). That's just not really the case anymore (Dale Hopper used to recruit people for the Jazz Studio Orchestra, which was phenomenal at the time, and tell them they also had to be in the marching band and were strongly encouraged to do pep band too...so we had some incredible players).

Of course I'd prefer it if everyone else just played louder to "keep up", but if that doesn't happen, I can't keep being the one guy everyone can hear loud and clear over everyone else, especially when I don't have the melody.

EDIT - also...Welcome to Leatherneck Nation!....we're glad to have you.
sealhall74

Fixing the pep band problems will be a whole lot easier than fixing the rebounding problems. Those 3 Missouri teams have killed us on the boards to the tune of about -18 a game so far. Maybe a litte inspirational music from the pep band might help in this regard. Here is an oldie called "On the Rebound":

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm Fixing the pep band problems will be a whole lot easier than fixing the rebounding problems. Those 3 Missouri teams have killed us on the boards to the tune of about -18 a game so far. Maybe a litte inspirational music from the pep band might help in this regard. Here is an oldie called "On the Rebound. An’ a one, an’ a two …:

Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I noticed the band leader has head phones to communicate with the other sources of music available in the Hall. They no longer play at the same time and on Tuesday the time was perfect. ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:19 pm I noticed the band leader has head phones to communicate with the other sources of music available in the Hall. They no longer play at the same time and on Tuesday the time was perfect. ;) jc
Yeah, they started doing that a couple of years ago. Apparently it gets kinda crazy on the headset sometimes because the announcer, people coordinating breaks/"games"/other events, some of the broadcast people, and the band conductor all on the same channel.
wiu712

Necks stunned by SEC in season opener.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/42777/sports ... on-opener/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Noticed this the other day but forgot to post it. ESPN did an article earlier called "The 25 best players in women's college basketball", and in case anyone was upset with how well Missouri's Sophie Cunningham did against us...she is listed as the #9 player on that list: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask ... -leads-way