GDT @ North Dakota State

sealhall74

We dominated the Bison inside the paint on Ufkes Court. I am going out on a limb and say that our ladies represent a big matchup problem for them. Won't be lopsided like last time but anything less than a W will have me scratching my head. Ken Massey already has me scratching a bit:

http://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s ... kota+State

Did you know this:
The Red River of the North (Red River), in part, forms the boundary between North Dakota and Minnesota. The river flows north through the Red River Valley and empties into Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is approximately 550 miles long and only falls 230 feet along its entire route.

If you want a nice challenge using Google Maps:
What is the approximate "as the crow flies" distance of the Red River?

There are lots of great "Red River Valley" renditions on YouTube. There is also one other "Red River Valley" in the United States but you can do the research.
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+riv ... 8&oe=utf-8

ST, you might know this. Don't some schools use this as their "after the fighting is done" tune with different words after game is over? Do we have one of those tunes? You know what I mean, that slow song that everyone hugs and sways to while reflecting on the game experience.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Red River of the North (goes past Fargo and Grand Forks, ND and Winnipeg, Manitoba):
River Length - 550 miles
"as the crow flies" length - 285.5 miles

Red River of the South (comprises the border between OK and TX)
River Length - 1,360 miles
"as the crow files" length - 537 miles

Due to how well known it was in the northern US and Canadian provinces, the song "Red River Valley" is generally assumed to refer to the valley around the Red River of the North. However, the "Red River Rivalry/Showdown" is the name for the rivalry between the Oklahoma Sooners and the Texas Longhorns, due to the river being the border between the two states. Since 1929, the game has been held in Dallas, which is almost exactly equidistant between Norman, OK and Austin, TX.

As for marching bands using it as a traditional song, I was unable to find any information about anyone performing it as a regular part of their game performances. I'm not saying there aren't schools that do this, I'm sure there's at least a few, but as near as I can tell, no Div. I schools play it.

Western doesn't really have a traditional "post-game" song that they play for the team and fans...they usually just play the fight song, and if the team won the game, they come over and sing it with the band. The band does, however, have a song that they play after every performance after pretty much everyone else has left. The tradition was started (I believe) the same year that we started playing Georgia On My Mind...1981.

[youtube][/youtube]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

The University of Minnesota Crookston and Minnesota State University Moorhead recently started a "Red River Valley Showdown" rivalry for football. They are in the 3rd year now and a traveling trophy goes to the annual winner.

IMO, some of the best stuff happens after the game. Plus it gives the parking lot time to clear. On Wed night, I and about 100 others stayed for the last note played by the Green Machine. They played for about 20 minutes after the game was over.
sealhall74

Barn burner at Bentson Bunker tonight. Western up by 3 at the half 35-32. Both teams throwing up a lot of 3s. Watching on Bison All-access. The announcer is talking my language. Lefty shooters (e.g. Reichelt) have that "Earl Anthony" (as in bowling) advantage.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

Looks like I am stuck with audio for 2nd half. :x

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for the inconvenience and are currently working to fix the issue as quickly as we can. Thank you for your patience."

OK. Send me half of my $6.95 and we will call it even.
sealhall74

Huge win in a tough environment! Western holds on for the 66-60 win.
wiu712

Western wins 66-60!

Sophie Reichelt had 18 points. Ashley Luke had 17 points.

Lots of 3-point baskets. North Dakota State had 9. Western had 8.

Attendance at North Dakota State was 756.
Tere North

This makes it 4 in a row and only 1/2 game out of 1st place. On to Omaha.
sealhall74

The Bison could do us a huge favor if they knock off the 'Yotes tomorrow.