GDT @ Omaha

sealhall74

Omaha is on the agenda for today's 2pm matchup. We handled them in Macomb fairly easily. Not sure it will happen this way, but I would love to see a no stress affair where the regulars could take a bit of a breather to get some bench players a little more PT. On the other hand, the regulars have some things to work on as well. In the NDSU game, it was fairly obvious to me that mid-range shooting is still a big deficiency on this team as it is just about every where these days. It is the most difficult shot to learn because it usually comes off the dribble but IMO, the mid-range shot is THE most important shot in the game because if you can hit it consistently, it keeps the defense always on their heels guessing, opening up more opportunities for the 3 as well as the drive to the hoop.

Did you know this:

Warren Buffett, born in 1930 in Omaha, bought his first shares of stock at the age of 11 (three shares for his sister and three for himself) and filed his first income tax return in 1944 (he took a $35 deduction for the use of his bicycle and watch on his paper route). He still lives in the same house in Omaha that he bought in 1957. His ideas about investing are simple:

Look at stocks as business, use the market's fluctuations to your advantage, and seek a margin of safety.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Can a college basketball coach use Warren Buffett as a strategy mentor? Absolutely.

Every possession is a golden opportunity for the ball to shared.
Don't overlook the smallest of details - the "solidity" of a pick has a lot to do with its effectiveness.
React quickly and decisively to momentum changes not going your way.
It is far better to come with your own "press" before an opponent does likewise.
Always have a reliable play or two in your back pocket to pull out when an opponent least expects it.

BTW, last night, the basketball world lost one of the greatest strategists of all time in former UNC Head Coach Dean Smith. RIP Coach Dean Smith. There is no one better to teach Saint Peter the "Four Corners" spread offense than you.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

One Women's game on ESPN3 today (Sunday, Feb 8):
4PM (CST), IPFW at South Dakota State.
sealhall74

I am doing the Maverick All-Access $8.95 good for a month (no individual game option). I am good to go for men's game next Saturday. :D
sealhall74

Herky-Jerky feed is about the best I can say for it. No doubt in my mind their hockey broadcasts are pristine.
OldHare

Omaha stat page is always locked up. It has never worked for an entire game yet.
sealhall74

Omaha win 54-51. The most important stat in this one is 8. That is how many minutes we showed up for and they were all at the end of the game.
sealhall74

As bad as we shot, I think the game was lost at the defensive end. I think that is where intensity starts from and we just did not have much out of the gate.
Tere North

JD's post game interview comments were that the team just didn't play like they wanted to be there. Gotta find some ways to keep them fired up so have a bag of options to pull from when they get that mentality.
wiu712

Very disappointing game.

Attendance at Omaha was only 164.

The Summit League needs to re-consider the wisdom of these Sunday afternoon games.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:Very disappointing game.

Attendance at Omaha was only 164.

The Summit League needs to re-consider the wisdom of these Sunday afternoon games.
I would at least like to know the rationale behind Friday and Sunday games. What are they trying to do? Minimize loss of class time? Fridays are terrible because of conflicting HS sports.

After thinking about it over a couple of Jack and Cokes, the only reason I can come up with is that Tom Douple is trying to get a little more OVERALL national exposure (via ESPN3, etc.) for teams in the Summit League by spreading the games out from Wednesday through Sunday. Let's face it, ESPN3 is not going to carry all of the Summit League games but one or two a night is certainly an attainable goal. Take that times 5 nights and it seems to make sense to do it.

However, that approach is still a far cry from what the OVC has in place with their umbrella digital network that all league schools support and feed into and which just happens to be free for everyone to watch.