Discover Western huge!

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

I heard today that the last "Discover Western" day, which was April 1st was huge! 330+ students visited Western with their parents/families on a "gorgeous" day in Macomb! It was announced at the large group meeting that President Thomas had been named by Governor Rauner to the state board of "higher education!" Dr. Andy Borst and the admission team continue to do an outstanding job for WIU! ;) jc
vatusay

I can't tell if this is sarcasm? Lol

Is 300+ a lot? Doesn't seem like it.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Neckfansince71

Yes, it is a lot!!! "Discover Westerns" are held numerous weekends in the Fall, Winter and Spring! Students and parents are still very interested in WIU! ;) jc
vatusay

Alright, great news with all the bad news.
#ALLIN #YOLO
LocalYokelFan

I smell some 'spin' here. I haven't heard much positive news regarding the incoming application numbers or significant increased interest at events like the Discover Westerns. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Neckfansince71

No spin here Local! Just asked "how was the "Discover Western" last weekend. This has been a funky year (state budget) so far so I have no idea how it will affect admissions numbers although it was announced that the transfer numbers were up a couple of weeks ago. I do know that admissions has been very busy! ;) jc
Tere North

LocalYokelFan wrote:I smell some 'spin' here. I haven't heard much positive news regarding the incoming application numbers or significant increased interest at events like the Discover Westerns. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Earlier expectation voiced by Admissions was the new freshman enrollment would be down, likely just 1500 new freshmen when they were hoping for 2K. However, expectation was the transfers would be up, I recall around a plus 300.
sealhall74

Many before me have posted here about Western trying to find its "niche" in the academic world. Retension rate was not good for a while with lower standards. Maybe it is better now. I was thinking back about some of my early academic experiences at Western and even beyond into my military days. I honestly believe that kids coming to a school for the first time need a curriculum which bonds them together. To achieve that, students must have very limited course offerings for that freshman year and those courses must ALL designed to prepare them for the subsequent years in school and maybe beyond in their chosen career field. I don't have a good feel for what those courses should be at a public college. The ability to think, manage time, manage fellow students toward a common goal should be emphasized in that first year experience. I know we have a formal "First Year Experience", but is it tied to a very strict and limited course curriculum? Following the military academy approach of heavy math, science, english, and leadership would be nice for quite a few students. Whatever courses are chosen, the main goal is to incorporate a sense of cohesiveness and desire to succeed in that freshman class. This might be a niche that many parents and students would find attractive. Some might look differently (a prep school approach), but I think it could go way beyond that if structured properly.

http://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-an ... -Plebe.php
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Seal,

Weren't there some specific course requirements for a BA or BS when we were in college. I know there were prerequisites like English 101, 102, 103, public speaking, literature, math and physical Ed to go along with intromcoursesnin chem and physics even though I was a biology Ed. Major. jc ;)
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote:Seal,

Weren't there some specific course requirements for a BA or BS when we were in college. I know there were prerequisites like English 101, 102, 103, public speaking, literature, math and physical Ed to go along with intromcoursesnin chem and physics even though I was a biology Ed. Major. jc ;)
Yes, those requirements were in place back then but, as you said, for completion of a degree. I spent about a half hour writing a 3/4 page essay on "The Double Standard Which Exists In America" during my summer orientation session to proficiency out of all Freshman English. Should I have been able to do it that easily? Probably not. I should have been placed in an advanced but still required course. My point is that freshman should not have a lot of latitude when it comes to choosing courses. It results in kids picking things like basketweaving or some course where the prof is known to be an easy grader. In fact, freshman should not even know who there prof is going to be for a particular course.
Embrace the pace of the race.