2017 Roster Updates

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A few more guys off the roster:

Senior DB Myles Spearman - missed all of last season due to injury. Kinda wonder if it became more of a "nagging" injury, or maybe after recovery, he just couldn't perform at 100% of his previous level. I also wonder if all the changes and new additions to the DB area meant that he might have lost out a starting job to a younger guy. Also, according to social media, he got engaged this summer to a girl who lives out in AZ (where he's originally from), so maybe he decided it was time to focus on his family life.

Junior O-Lineman Brody Carls - I noticed on his twitter bio, he says he's a "Washed-up Football Player". He did not see any game action in his two active years so far, so maybe it just looked like that trend was likely to continue. Also, if you look at his twitter and the twitter account of recently-transferred women's basketball player Andi Pierce, they are (or were) together. Idk if that had anything to do with him decided to step back from football or if it was purely a "football decision", but the timing seems interesting. If they're at all serious, I wonder if he's thinking of transferring to a school in OK to be closer to her. Just a guess on my part. Either way, he was one of the players to step up and donate bone marrow in the "Be the Match" program and I've talked to his mother before and they seem like a great family and he sounds like a great young man.

Sophomore D-Lineman Matt Constenson-Segura - didn't see any game action last year as a redshirt freshman, also we have a lot of young talent on the D-Line, so maybe it wasn't looking promising for the future. Couldn't find any social media on him, so I don't have much other info or guesses on anything.

No matter their reason, I want to thank these guys (and all the players who have chosen not to continue with their Leatherneck football careers) for their contributions to the Leatherneck Football program, and I wish them all the best in their futures.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Very minor change this update:
Redshirt Freshman Adam Fellner was listed as P/K, but the K part has been removed. My guess is that it's a combination of Crosa probably winning the starting job for placekicking, and probably Fellner got the job for punting.
There's also Sophomore Nathan Erickson in the mix.

I'll talk more about this in my Special Teams preview this coming Thursday.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Couple of updates through today:
1. The new 2017 record book has been posted and is available here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... pdated.pdf
Updates record lists with info from last season and stuff.

2. DB Darius Patterson, who was a transfer from a JUCO in CA (although is originally from Chicago) is no longer on the roster. He transferred here in the spring with the intention of playing this season as a sophomore. Don't know if he just didn't live up to expectations, didn't get offered a scholarship, or what. Might have had something to do with #3...

3. DB Leon Thornton has been added to the roster: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16651&path=
Originally from Lombard, IL, Leon played for two seasons at Indiana University (http://iuhoosiers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id ... h=football) at both WR and CB, but as of last year was considering a "name to watch" for the future of IU's defense. Here's an article about him when he originally committed to Indiana: https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2014/6/11 ... a-football
Leon will be able to play this season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.
leatherneckcountry

If these transfers at the DB position play as well as advertised are DB group could be very good.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 pm If these transfers at the DB position play as well as advertised are DB group could be very good.
Considering what happened last year, I'd be ecstatic with "middle of the FCS", but yea...they could be VERY VERY good.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote: ↑Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:02 pm Junior O-Lineman Brody Carls - I noticed on his twitter bio, he says he's a "Washed-up Football Player". He did not see any game action in his two active years so far, so maybe it just looked like that trend was likely to continue. Also, if you look at his twitter and the twitter account of recently-transferred women's basketball player Andi Pierce, they are (or were) together. Idk if that had anything to do with him decided to step back from football or if it was purely a "football decision", but the timing seems interesting. If they're at all serious, I wonder if he's thinking of transferring to a school in OK to be closer to her. Just a guess on my part. Either way, he was one of the players to step up and donate bone marrow in the "Be the Match" program and I've talked to his mother before and they seem like a great family and he sounds like a great young man.
Saw an update on facebook from Brody Carls's mom...

"Faith~Family~FootballπŸ™πŸΌπŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦πŸˆ
We are on our way to watch the WIU Football team and we were so looking forward to this year and watching Brody play on the field. Then 3 weeks ago Brody got hurt in fall camp, a season ending injury with suffering a hip injury-((torn labrum, bone spurs, and a snapping hip-flexor muscle)), and he was still trying to practice. ((I have no idea how and I told him to call me, when his leg fell off...I know Mother of the year, right there)) It's been a tough/difficult time, tough to deal with, but tough times never last, tough people do. We have watched Brody put in hard work, practices, dedication, etc. to have it suddenly ripped away, but there is always a silver lining and another reason. We are very grateful that Brody was given the opportunity to remain with his team. He is helping Coach Howle, with the O-Line and helping his teammates. This wiu Football team is the best. So instead of playing this year on the field with his helmet, he has a headset and will either be helping coaches and teammates from inside the press box or the sidelines.
I asked Brody if I could get a shirt that said,"Coach Carls Mom". He said absolutely not. So I made one, instead.😳I'm my families biggest cheerleader, in anything they do.πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ Brody doesn't like all the extra hype, no feeling bad for him at all, and does not like attention.
Don't make me use my Football Mom voiceπŸ“£πŸ“’
We are a family.β™₯️. We will get through everything together and his pending upcoming surgery to fix the hip, so he can walk to a job.
We love this WIU Football team
Earn It WIU Leathernecks🏈
It's Game DayπŸ’œπŸ’›πŸˆ
Kickoff at 6:00 pm"

So, it sounds like his playing days are done, but he's still contributing to the Leatherneck football team. Everything I've heard, he sounds like a great kid and I hope he does great things down the road.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

R-FR O-Lineman Maxwell Gober no longer listed on the roster. He had not, as far as I know, gotten on the field for us this year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Freshman DB Brent Carter no longer on the roster. As near as I can tell from his twitter profile photo, he's transferring to Butler Community College in El Dorado, KS. Looks like they're one of those JUCO's that's kinda known for taking guys for a couple of years, getting them up to FBS level and then the guys play for an FBS for a couple of years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_Gr ... Grizzlies

Could have been grades weren't up to par, or maybe he just thinks he can "do better". No big loss to the team, I don't think. He didn't have any other DI offers that I was aware of coming out of HS, and that quite often gives you a good idea of possible success.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Freshman RB James Bailey Jr. is no longer on the roster. I'm pretty sure he redshirted this year.
http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/2/1 ... h=football

Also,
Long Snapper Nick O'Boyle a R-Fr. from Greenfield, WI is also no longer on the roster. According to his twitter, looking to transfer.
GV Dad

Any idea what is up with Bailey? He was doing good things in camp, I thought he was going to have a great career at WIU.